Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical Examination/Police Certificate Help :)

Medical Examination/Police Certificate Help :)

Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

sharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to behold
Default Medical Examination/Police Certificate Help :)

Hi guys,

This has been answered on here before but I am just a little bit confused still.

I am starting my application for sponsorship under the conjugal partner family class and it states that every member of my family, even those not coming with me must have a medical examination and police certificate. I can understand why if this is indeed the case, but I am the only person applying to come to Canada, and I do not have any dependants/children etc.

If someone can clarify any of this I would be really appreciative, and so would my wallet!!

Regards
Elliot
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Examination/Police Certificate Help :)

Welcome to BE.

Only spouses/children would need them, so no need to worry if you don't have them, it wouldn't be required for siblings/parents etc.

You're not a UK citizen then I take it, if you're doing a conjugal app?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

sharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Welcome to BE.

Only spouses/children would need them, so no need to worry if you don't have them, it wouldn't be required for siblings/parents etc.

You're not a UK citizen then I take it, if you're doing a conjugal app?
Hey! Thanks for the reply, and thank you for the welcome!

I am indeed a UK citizen, I live in Preston, UK. My partner is a Canadian Citizen living in Montreal. We are looking to move to Ottawa Why do you ask if I am a UK citizen?

Regards
Elliot
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:41 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It may just be a terminology thing.
Common law is for when you have lived together for 12 months
Spousal is if you are married.
Conjugal normally means people who can't physically live together as if they were married for whatever reason ( usually same sex partners in countries where its not legal)
Hence UK citizens don't normally use that route.

Which one actually applies !
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what Zoe said. Do you mean common-law then?

Conjugal is only applicable in extreme circumstances when a couple cannot live together or get married (as an example, one person lives in a country where divorce is illegal, so they can't get married, and they cannot get a visitor visa to enter Canada either).
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, what Zoe said. Do you mean common-law then?

Conjugal is only applicable in extreme circumstances when a couple cannot live together or get married (as an example, one person lives in a country where divorce is illegal, so they can't get married, and they cannot get a visitor visa to enter Canada either).
We have not lived together for 12 months, we have been in a conjugal relationship for 18 months now, I'll be on my 4th visit to Canada this May, since February 2013, and she has travelled here too within the 18 months.

I had accepted a job offer from Target but they would not sponsor me as it is not skilled work. We are unable to live together due to visa restrictions i.e. I cannot get a work visa due to my management experience only sits in retail, low skilled work.

Common law needs to display marriage like history such as shared back accounts which we obviously cannot do.

We have every single receipt, photo, email, phone log, imessage, skype log, and have met one another's full families as well, keeping records of it all to show our legitimate and true relationship is valid.

I would hope the conjugal visa route is the right one....
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sorry, but I don't think it is the right one. You've visited, so that shows you could live together - I know it would have to be on a visitor visa, and you wouldn't be able to work, but that's not a valid reason for a conjugal app in CIC's eyes. You could also marry if you wished presumably?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...njugal_partner

Put simply, if you can marry your partner or live together whilst visiting, you won't qualify for conjugal - it's only for people that have no other route to be together.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Oh i see...

Well I'm certainly glad I joined this forum you have certainly saved me some serious time AND money into this. I will definitely need to re-asses where we will take the next step.

You're right we can marry, and intend to in the future. So we can't apply under common-law i take it because we haven't lived together for 12 months or more so that's also a closed door.

Perhaps working in Canada under the IEC programme could help the common law application? If we live together while I work on that programme, return to the UK and apply out of the country for common law....

I knew it would be a huge task but I guess that's just knocked me down a peg...
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If you can get an IEC, then that's the easiest/quickest solution. You say one year and them return to the UK, would you not be eligible for a second IEC then?

For info on conjugal and CIC's definition of it, have a read of page 31 onwards of the Op Manual - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

What benefits would I have for the second IEC, thats the only bit im unsure of.

And thank you for everything you've been incredibly helpful.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Oh sorry yeah ive just re-read that I understand what you meant yes very good point.