Medical Exam - Heart Murmur

Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Medical Exam - Heart Murmur

Well, my husband and I are getting everything together for our spousal sponsorship and just hit the mother of all shockers. My husband's medical didn't go as planned and the doctor says he has a heart murmur (which he has NEVER had any signs of in previous medicals or examinations) Anyways, this has been a very bad day for us, he now has to go for more tests....and we need to meet with the immigration medicalist again next week.

Any thoughts on this, this was my first place to come, maybe someone else has run into a problem like this, took all my strength not to break down in the doctor's office... can he be considered in admissable if this heart murmur is actually in existence?(he had about 2 coffees and a sudafed before the exam, so could that have done it!?!?)

Anyways, hope everyone else is doing well with their paper work...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:59 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Exam - Heart Murmur

A heart murmur will not be a bar to your husband's immigration but for his own and your sake he should learn what is up with that. So, go ahead with the sponsorship/immigration application as soon as you have everything ready
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:14 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hello BrennaBoo

Firstly the reason medicals are done is to check for anything that will drain the Canadian NHS resources. My wife has a heart murmur and had it diagnosed when she was young. She has never had to take medication for it and had the odd echocardiogram test over the years to keep an eye on it. Mainly as her doctor was old school and just wanted to make sure it had not changed.

When we did our medicals, last April, the doctor said this needs to be declared....so we got all her medical records from the UK NHS. These were then sent with the Canadian medical notes to the embassy. We then received a "please go for new echocardiogram" letter as the last check was 3 years before .

We paid for a new echocardiogram via a private hospital, the consultant wrote up the notes and forwarded them via the initial Canadian medical centre to the embassy.

Did it stop our Skilled Worker Visa? No, we landed in Oct 2010.

Again, they are looking for conditions that could drain the Canadian HNS, but they want any condition checked out just in case.

JB

P.S. During the Echocardiogram the consultant should be able to give your husband immediate feedback.....our consultant did and there is no reason for them not to tell you what they are going to recommend.

Last edited by JB0591; Jan 18th 2011 at 11:16 am.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:15 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that spouses being sponsored are "excessive demand exempt" , so as Jim says , it really wont be a problem
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:12 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Just to reassure you, the same thing happended to me. It was a bit of a surprise, but I'm dropping our passports off in London on Thursday. It only slightly delayed things by a month or so. If you search "heart murmur" on this forum, you'll find a few threads which should reassure you.

All the best!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Well, my husband and I are getting everything together for our spousal sponsorship and just hit the mother of all shockers. My husband's medical didn't go as planned and the doctor says he has a heart murmur (which he has NEVER had any signs of in previous medicals or examinations) Anyways, this has been a very bad day for us, he now has to go for more tests....and we need to meet with the immigration medicalist again next week.

Any thoughts on this, this was my first place to come, maybe someone else has run into a problem like this, took all my strength not to break down in the doctor's office... can he be considered in admissable if this heart murmur is actually in existence?(he had about 2 coffees and a sudafed before the exam, so could that have done it!?!?)

Anyways, hope everyone else is doing well with their paper work...
Exactly the same thing happened to me.

I've always been active and healthy with no health problems I knew of, so when the doctor announced I had a heart murmur I was dumbstruck. I suppose I always thought I was invincible until that moment!

Anyway, I quickly booked myself in for the raft of Cardio tests that they ask for and it turned out it was totally harmless, although it did delay my application a little.

So you almost certainly have nothing to worry about, other than an extra month or so added onto the processing time.

Chin up!

PS - I'm picking up my passport from London tomorrow, so all's well that end's well.

Last edited by humanist; Jan 18th 2011 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

[WOW, I cannot express the thankfulness for everyone's response. It totally through us off. Our application isn't submitted yet as we are still waiting on our ACPO stuff to return from across the water. So, hopefully everything else is ok with his tests, he goes for an echo cardio gram next week and then the doctor is asking we meet with him again to finish everything up. Which is adding an extra 500.00 to our expenses but... it's the best we can do.

So, it seems heart murmurs are more common than we thought especially in regards to the immigration process! We're not pros at all this immigration but we are learning quickly...that it's by no means easy and everything changes so quickly!

We thought...we get married...we are together...TOTALLY NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED. But "the juice is worth the squeeze"..we've been married since september and married life is fantastic, but we just need the time period of "who knows whats next" to be over!

Thanks again for your responses!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:24 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Proabably not the best time to tell you that spousal sponsorships are one of the easiest immigration paths then

Hope all is well and it gets sorted soon
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter (14) was found to have a heart murmur at our medical. Also asymptomatic, and never any problems with her health in general. It really stressed me out with worry - but after seeing our GP, and then a paediatrician, it was decided that she is absolutely fine and no heart murmur!

The DMP suggested we would need an echocardiogram, but we could not get them to do an echocardiogram because she had no heart murmur, so we were in a catch 22 situation. We eventually just sent a letter from the paediatrician to the DMP which was them forwarded on to the CIC.

Not heard any more yet - hopefully our file is being processed as we speak! as someone else pointed out though, as it is a spouse visa, he will be excessive demand expempt - so even if there is a murmur, it should not stop the visa from being issued.

Hope all goes well with the investigations!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:17 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
"the juice is worth the squeeze"
Love this phrase! Can I borrow it and use it as my own?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

HAHA OF COURSE! I'm pretty sure I quoted a movie on that...definitely not original but a good way to describe my long distance relationship(not so distant anymore)....the juice is definitely worth the squeeze!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Proabably not the best time to tell you that spousal sponsorships are one of the easiest immigration paths then

Hope all is well and it gets sorted soon

Well, I admire the perseverence of those applying through other routes. WOW.