Medical and diabetes

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold
Default Medical and diabetes

Hi there

I have borderline diabetes, ie impared glucose tollarence, can anyone tell me if I will need more tests at the medical?
Im sure this shouldnt affect my application as its under control through diet, but im interested to know if they will request extra blood tests to be done.

many thanks for reading this even if you dotn have the answer :-)
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

mariar will become famous soon enoughmariar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medical and diabetes

Hi
I am an insulin dependent diabetic and had my medical in July (in Canada). The doctor asked me if i had diabetes and when I said yes she said I was required to take an extra blood test which would cost me an extra $6 or something. Gave blood for the text and that was it, my results were fine as I have good control of my sugar levels so never heard anything more about it. Ive heard stories were the DMP asks for copies of eye screening test and such but that never happened with me. I was worried having diabetes would complicate the medical and I was quite nervous going in, honestly I spent longer in the waiting room than with the doctor herself!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold

Eye screening? never had that :-(

Thanks for your answer :-)
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:03 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I had my medical back in March, I'm diabetic (on long acting insulin & pills). I got charged about $75 for an additional test (creatine for a kidney function, IIRC).
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

If i tell them im impaired then will they do the extra tests there and then?
Or should I hope my blood sugar that day is normal and keep schtum?

What i dont want is for them to call me back again for further tests (as this makes the process longer)
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:12 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bertie41
If i tell them im impaired then will they do the extra tests there and then?
Or should I hope my blood sugar that day is normal and keep schtum?

What i dont want is for them to call me back again for further tests (as this makes the process longer)
All my tests were done in one go.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

All the test are done in the one go so no need to go back at a later date. I'd be honest, if it comes up in your blood work and they think you don't know they are duty bound to tell you what they find so I don't know if that would hold up the process? They may request further tests? I don't know but id rather be safe than sorry, if your blood levels are in good control you have nothing to worry about. What route are you taking? If it is spousal sponsorship you are exempt for excessive demand anyway and as long as you aren't contagious you pass the medical.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe that should read 'as long as you don't have any contagious diseases or infections' just re read that post and laughed
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ha ha I laughed too Mariar

No not contagious or infectious.
We are on the PNP for Nova Scotia, and hoping to hear about the medical in around 3-4 months if the embassy is correct in its anticipated application times.

thanks for your replies everyone