Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical condition question - endometriosis

Medical condition question - endometriosis

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future
Default Medical condition question - endometriosis

I've searched the forum but only a couple of posts mentioning this medical condition. OH has been having treatment (privately) for endometriosis on and off for a number of years. Would a history of this condition lead to a medical examination failure?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical condition question - endometriosis

Originally Posted by guccismith
I've searched the forum but only a couple of posts mentioning this medical condition. OH has been having treatment (privately) for endometriosis on and off for a number of years. Would a history of this condition lead to a medical examination failure?
I shouldnt have thought so - as wouldnt it be sexually discriminating as it is a condition only affecting women

But I truly think that this wouldnt be an excessive demand - somewhere I have seen it that treatment has to be over an amount per year think it is something in the region of $7500.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:12 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

My take is that it might indeed mean refusal. The only way to find out for sure is to apply and take the medical examination. It depends upon the prognosis and likely dependence upon medical services.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
My take is that it might indeed mean refusal. The only way to find out for sure is to apply and take the medical examination. It depends upon the prognosis and likely dependence upon medical services.
Most Endo sufferers are treated with medication or in extreme cases an operation to cut out the endo (sorry to much info) so if the endo was treatable with medication would CHC still say that it would be a drain on the Canadian Health Service ? And also as most people have medical insurance out here wouldnt that alleviate the pressure on the Health Service ?

gay
x
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:32 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If it is treatable by medication or simple operation then perhaps it is not a problem, but medical insurance is public and that is what they try to protect.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Most Endo sufferers are treated with medication or in extreme cases an operation to cut out the endo (sorry to much info) so if the endo was treatable with medication would CHC still say that it would be a drain on the Canadian Health Service ? And also as most people have medical insurance out here wouldnt that alleviate the pressure on the Health Service ?

gay
x
I have had two such ops to 'cut out' the endo, as well as medication. It wasn't even an issue at my medical. I expected lots of questions as the surgeries were fairly recent, but it wasn't questioned. Now I'm in Canada
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:42 pm

That's why one has to take the medical. I have never found it too strict but it can be. Spousal PR cases are an exception as there is no concern for costs to the medical insurance system.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by burton bunch

gay
x
Thanks Gay for the support

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If it is treatable by medication or simple operation then perhaps it is not a problem, but medical insurance is public and that is what they try to protect.

Thanks Jim for your views

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I have had two such ops to 'cut out' the endo, as well as medication. It wasn't even an issue at my medical. I expected lots of questions as the surgeries were fairly recent, but it wasn't questioned. Now I'm in Canada
M
Minimeeze - sending a PM - thanks for your support

Some more info for you - OH is only having treatment to fend off an inevitable hysterectomy due to the severity of the endo. We are only holding off as we want another child (if possible) but need to wait to see what happens with Canada

The endo is under control with medication and if she has the op to remove (oh struggling to type all this being a bloke ) you know, bits, then the endo should disappear or at least be easily treatable.

Let's see what happened, but fingers crossed all will be ok

Thanks again folks for all you input and advice
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
That was an enormously helpful post, thankyou.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

You could contact the M.O. doing medicals and ask, I had to in order to decide wether to bother as I had spinal surgery. Quickfire conversation, got my moneys worth out of the converesation but very re assuring.

Give it a go.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

The standard is if the person will cost Canada more than $5000 per year for medical treatment.

I'm not a doctor but if you've got the condition well managed - and can show this to the DMP who examines you - then you should be fine.

I'd turn up to the medical with evidence that it is under control - medical records, etc.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

For others who may be reading this thread.......endometriosis is when part of the womb's lining is found elsewhere in the body...usually elsewhere in the pelvis, but can even (rarely) be found in the lungs.

There' no real known cause, only lots of theories as to might cause it.

It looks like a small blood blister. One tiny, tiny little one can cause horrendous pain. Or not - some women are found to have many of these little (or not so little) spots when they are having other procedures, and they have no problems/pain from it whatsoever.

The pain can persist after the spots of endometriosis are removed.

So, it's a condition which is very, very variable in women. Therefore, from an immigration perspective, it really is up to the case officer to closely review the reports and the situation.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:19 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

It can also be v variable over time. I used to suffer from it really badly (15 yrs ago for about 18 months) & had 2 exploratory ops, but by the time they got around to the second one, they was no longer any pain / problems so no further treatment.

This clearly isn't the case here, but for anyone else, a history & / or current problems is not necessarily an indicator of continued future treatment requirements. This can be important given the medical.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Quick update.

We had our meds at the end of Sept and the DMP did not seem too concerned about the endo.......thankfully. As OH has not had surgery for 5+ years, she felt that that there should be nothing to worry about.

Fingers crossed we get positive news soon.

Cheers.