Medical advice needed

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Jo & Rick is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Medical advice needed

Our intended destination is Calgary but before we and our four children start the ball rolling I wonder if anyone could give me some medical advice.
Rick has arthritis in his ankle. He is currently on a waiting list for an op in the UK but was unable to have it done in January due to starting a new job as he will have to have 3 months off afterwards. He is quite happy not to have it done at all as it is manageable with medication. He has never had a day sick with it and copes really well.
Our main concern is the medical part of immigration, will they hold it against him as he is on a waiting list etc.
A lawyer has told us it does not matter about the past, it is weather he will be a drain on the Canadian healthcare system in the future. Obviously nobody knows what will happen but Ricks argument is he will be no more of a drain than a smoker who could develop smoking related diseases. Is this feesible?
I am asthmatic so is my daughter who has eczema as well. My oldest son has juvenile arthritis in one knee but this doesn't stop him at all and there is a 50/50 chance this wont carry onto adulthood anyway.
Would it be advisable to have medicals before applying and only losing the cost of the medicals?
What do you think our chances are?
I know we have a lot of question but this is our first time on here and our heads are going to explode if we dont get some direction soon!

Thanks in advance

Jo & Rick
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:17 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medical advice needed

i think you'll find this is a difficult one for anyone to answer. They do appear to base decisions on long term care/ progression of illness, and cost to the health service, from what I read.
I think most of the adult population is likely to have some form of arthritis at some stage in their life, according to statistics. Excema is not catching, does not cause problems to anyone other than the sufferer. Asthma again is not contagious, and is managable with medication.
As prescriptions have to be paid for by you then this is not a drain on anyone but your pocket. But they will look at the long term senario, not just short.
From what i read it is HIV and TB they are concerned about. Having cancer, even though one may have been in remission can also be a a reason for rejection.

I don't think you should worry. You will be asked for all medical history ,and possible letters from doctors or consultants as to their predictions of your health.
Only thing I can suggest, is you might want to talk to an medical insurance company in Canada, as to the costs of health insurance, in addition to the BC standard health scheme. See what they say regarding any of the conditions, and how it would effect insurance premiums. You need to take out private for the first 3 months you are there, and probably have to declare all medications, treatments etc.
Also if yo are all on medication, you may want to look at the costs to you all, for prescriptions etc.

Originally Posted by Jo & Rick
Our intended destination is Calgary but before we and our four children start the ball rolling I wonder if anyone could give me some medical advice.
Rick has arthritis in his ankle. He is currently on a waiting list for an op in the UK but was unable to have it done in January due to starting a new job as he will have to have 3 months off afterwards. He is quite happy not to have it done at all as it is manageable with medication. He has never had a day sick with it and copes really well.
Our main concern is the medical part of immigration, will they hold it against him as he is on a waiting list etc.
A lawyer has told us it does not matter about the past, it is weather he will be a drain on the Canadian healthcare system in the future. Obviously nobody knows what will happen but Ricks argument is he will be no more of a drain than a smoker who could develop smoking related diseases. Is this feesible?
I am asthmatic so is my daughter who has eczema as well. My oldest son has juvenile arthritis in one knee but this doesn't stop him at all and there is a 50/50 chance this wont carry onto adulthood anyway.
Would it be advisable to have medicals before applying and only losing the cost of the medicals?
What do you think our chances are?
I know we have a lot of question but this is our first time on here and our heads are going to explode if we dont get some direction soon!

Thanks in advance

Jo & Rick
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:50 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical advice needed

Have you started your application or even got your documentation together yet, or are you still at the "considering" stage?

If not, you should be aware that new applicants are currently being advised that the process will take 2 1/2 to 3 years.

Somebody this week got his Acknowledgement of Receipt of Application (AOR) and was told he may hear nothing more for 24 months.

When we received our AOR, the card stated that we "should not undertake medical examination before being instructed to do so by the High Commission".

I am not even sure you can take medicals before starting the process as the CHC send the relevant forms as and when they require them.

I think all your medical conditions altogether are unlikely to cause a significant strain on the Canadian Health service, and you are unlikely to be refused on medical grounds in my opinion (for what it's worth), but also, with the long wait you have ahead of you, if your husband were to go ahead with his surgery it'd probably be "done and dusted" long before you would be called for medicals under the skilled worker aplication process as current timelines stand!

So I say "Go For It" and Good Luck!!

Morw