Wikiposts

medical advice

Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

rob dickings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical advice

Hi,
The wife and I are planning to move out to Canada, but the wife is Epileptic, does anyone know if this would be a problem?
Also we would need to get her medication whilst there, can anyone tell us how this works and for how long we would have to be there before it could be supplied free?
The Canadian immigration people wasn't sure about epilepsy being a problem, and said that we should apply and they would decide then. She has already been in touch with the hospital where she hopes to work and they don't have a problem with it, but any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical advice

Originally Posted by rob dickings
Hi,
The wife and I are planning to move out to Canada, but the wife is Epileptic, does anyone know if this would be a problem?
Also we would need to get her medication whilst there, can anyone tell us how this works and for how long we would have to be there before it could be supplied free?
The Canadian immigration people wasn't sure about epilepsy being a problem, and said that we should apply and they would decide then. She has already been in touch with the hospital where she hopes to work and they don't have a problem with it, but any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks
I don't know whether having epilepsy would cause your wife to not be allowed to immigrate to Canada. That's something only the Immigration Officer assigned to your case can decide...so the advice of "try it and see" is completely valid...but in answer to you question about her meds - you would always have to pay for them. You pay for all prescription drugs here (unless you're got an extremely good health package from your employer!)
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

rob dickings is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a web site on which you can find the prices of the drugs?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

No idea, sorry...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Check this website: https://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/search.asp?

There are 100s of websites like this, if you Google them. These are mainly focused to sale medicine online to the people in the US, but you will get the idea on how much you would have to pay if you were in Canada. Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
...- you would always have to pay for them. You pay for all prescription drugs here (unless you're got an extremely good health package from your employer!)
I thought Canadian Govt pays for all the drugs and hospital costs. At least that is what most of the people believe in the US and many countries around the world. They say health care is FREE in Canada.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Want2Move
I thought Canadian Govt pays for all the drugs and hospital costs. At least that is what most of the people believe in the US and many countries around the world. They say health care is FREE in Canada.
They're sadly mistaken. I'm only familiar with the system in BC, but basically hospital costs are covered by payments that you (or if you're lucky, your employer) pays monthly into the government's MSP (Medical Services Plan?) and unless you have further private cover you're left to foot the bill for things like trips in ambulances (maybe only over a certain distance? Not too sure!), physio, prescriptions, all dental fees, etc. It's certainly far from free, even if it is reasonably well subsidised.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:30 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2Move
I was in hospital last week with suspected kidney stones. I had a scan, morphine drip, anti sickness, anti inflamatory and antibiotic drugs. I won't be charged anything for the treatment and care given, but the 10 day course of antibiotics I was given a prescription for cost me a little under $50. I have no health plan other than the standard provincial BC Healthcare that I pay approx $200 every few months into which covers both my wife and I.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:00 am
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks
Not sure about epilepsy per se , but my husband has Diabetes and our immigration lawyer told us that they can't discriminate against that kind of thing and that if they tried he would haul them up in court!! Same applies for virtually anything unless its going to be either a drain on their resources or a danger to their citizens apparently. Can't imagine epilepsy would be considered either of those things - so you should be ok I'd imagine.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:56 am
From here to....somewhere

manchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nicemanchestergirl is just really nice

Hi Rob,
I suspect that if her epilepsy is stable with medication, then this is very likely to count in her favour.
When you are due to be called for your medicals, it's worth asking your wife's GP or Consultant for a supporting letter, indicating how she has been over the years and how she is currently.