Wikiposts

med requests...a few questions...

Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

high.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nice
Default med requests...a few questions...

We finally received our med requests yesterday
(AOR early August 2004 SW category) but we have a few questions, if anyone has any advice, it would be very much appreciated.

1. During the process we married (each other!) and forwarded details of this to CIC (marriage certificate etc). I followed this up with an email to see if they received it OK and they said they did. However, our med request forms still show my maiden name and both our forms say common law. Should we contact CIC to have this changed, as my passport now shows my married name?

2. Employer reference : CIC have asked for a reference from our current employers, this could be tricky for both of us as our employers have no idea we're planning a move to Canada. From my perspective, I'm doing pretty well in my current job, and I know my employers would be disappointed to know I'm not considering a long term future with them. As we're unlikely to make our final decision on our move until next year, we really don't want to burn our bridges with our current employers. Is there any way around this? ie explaining this to CIC?

3. What does the med request mean in the scheme of things? Does this mean that our actual application has been processed and deemed suitable to obtain the visa or does it simply mean we need a med test?!

Many thanks in advance for the help.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Default Re: med requests...a few questions...

2. Employer reference : CIC have asked for a reference from our current employers, this could be tricky for both of us as our employers have no idea we're planning a move to Canada. From my perspective, I'm doing pretty well in my current job, and I know my employers would be disappointed to know I'm not considering a long term future with them. As we're unlikely to make our final decision on our move until next year, we really don't want to burn our bridges with our current employers. Is there any way around this? ie explaining this to CIC?

I'd be interested to hear any replies also, as we're in the same situation.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:40 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by high.rise
We finally received our med requests yesterday
(AOR early August 2004 SW category) but we have a few questions, if anyone has any advice, it would be very much appreciated.

1. During the process we married (each other!) and forwarded details of this to CIC (marriage certificate etc). I followed this up with an email to see if they received it OK and they said they did. However, our med request forms still show my maiden name and both our forms say common law. Should we contact CIC to have this changed, as my passport now shows my married name?

3. What does the med request mean in the scheme of things? Does this mean that our actual application has been processed and deemed suitable to obtain the visa or does it simply mean we need a med test?!

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Medical requests are printed early in the process and often do not reflect the changes received later on. They are a positive sign indicating that your application has been positively assessed. You might consider asking your employer for a letter indicating it is for the purposes of obtaining a mortgage or similar. Failing that you will just have to send recent payslips and advise that you do not wish to obtain a reference for fear of losing you job.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

high.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Medical requests are printed early in the process and often do not reflect the changes received later on. They are a positive sign indicating that your application has been positively assessed. You might consider asking your employer for a letter indicating it is for the purposes of obtaining a mortgage or similar. Failing that you will just have to send recent payslips and advise that you do not wish to obtain a reference for fear of losing you job.
Jim,

Many thanks for the advice. We were hoping that approaching our employers for generic reference (ie work there, x amount of hours, duties include etc etc) may be sufficient, so we'll proceed on that basis.

Regarding the change of name, would you advise to proceed with the medicals and resend the marriage info with letter of explanation and passport details etc?

Thanks again
Old Aug 27th 2006, 5:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by high.rise
Jim,

Many thanks for the advice. We were hoping that approaching our employers for generic reference (ie work there, x amount of hours, duties include etc etc) may be sufficient, so we'll proceed on that basis.

Regarding the change of name, would you advise to proceed with the medicals and resend the marriage info with letter of explanation and passport details etc?

Thanks again
Have the DMP change the surname on the medical.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Have the DMP change the surname on the medical.
Will do thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - I'm pretty much going to agree with everyone's reply!

The doctor can amend your name of his form. It's only when you get the final printed form that accompanies your visa that you need ensure the name is exact.

Ref employer, I guess it depends on how big or small your firm is. Both my hubby and I could not mention our plans at work at all. However, I did ask my HR dept to write me a very bland letter stating
"Ann has worked at Blah, Blah & Co for XX years, she works XX hours a week and earns £XX annually." They did not ask what it was for so I did not have to lie with an explanation, but I suspect they get asked to provide such a letter quite often, and as someone above said, you could just say it's for a mortgage or similar ... However, if you work for a very small company with just you and the boss, mmm, well, try the 'I need a letter for my mortgage' anyway !!

And if it really is not possible, just explain why to the CHC, with accompanying payslips or some other document you can rummage up.

Good luck with everything.