mbrophy

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

mbrophy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mbrophy

Hi everyone am new to the site just registered. I am a industrial installation electrician with also maintenance and PLC experience in petrochemical and oil industry i am 29 years old and am desperate to emigrate to Canada. I have sent my CV to every job possible hoping for the offer of 1 years work but as yet have not heard anything. My partner is suggesting we pay a consultancy agency but im hesitant can any 1 give me any advice or guidelines or should i be applying for work permits etc before a job offer thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

xshuttyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mbrophy

Originally Posted by mbrophy
Hi everyone am new to the site just registered. I am a industrial installation electrician with also maintenance and PLC experience in petrochemical and oil industry i am 29 years old and am desperate to emigrate to Canada. I have sent my CV to every job possible hoping for the offer of 1 years work but as yet have not heard anything. My partner is suggesting we pay a consultancy agency but im hesitant can any 1 give me any advice or guidelines or should i be applying for work permits etc before a job offer thanks.
I'm no expert on the matter but my general mindset is that employers will rarely entertain a CV unless your in the country or due to arrive there shortly as they will be sent tons of prospective CV's from people abroad who never actually make the trip.

You have 2 options currently from what I have gathered.

Express Entry (The new immigration start from 2015) - Express Entry

International Experience Canada - Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada

Note: The IEC 1 year work permits are released at the beginning of each year and give you period of a year to work in Canada

===========

Also you don't need to use representatives - You can navigate the whole process yourself and likely save yourself a few $k. In some instances representatives can slow down the process if they have heavy work loads.

The Canadian immigration site has step by step instructions on completing any work permit or permanent residence application

Last edited by xshuttyx; Oct 23rd 2014 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Adding info re use of representives
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

mbrophy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that just had a look at the express entry looks like a good idea i just want to get things moving
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:01 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

What do you need to do in terms of qualifications to work in Canada? That might influence what route you take? I believe for electricians there are provincial exams? I think someone will correct me if wrong..
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

The IEC is a great idea if you only want to go for a year.

Alternatively, there are other options not mentioned in post no. 2 above, such as the Federal Skilled Trades Program. As an electrician, you should qualify for this, and you'd get PR without needing a job offer first.

Alternatively, if you do get a job offer, then there are various routes you can use depending on the province it's in. The job hunting section of the Wiki is well worth a read, if all you've done is send your resume (hope you've not called it a CV!) off via email, then that would explain why you've not had any luck - have a read to understand why.

For a Temp Work Permit, you'd need a job offer first, not the other way around, and just FYI, a consultancy wouldn't be able to help you with finding a job (they're not allowed to charge you for it by law), it would only be the visa side of things - the job hunting would still be down to you if it's a reputable agency.

HTH a bit, do look at the IEC and the FSTP, as they are your best options IMO.

Good luck.