Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

master's degree without diploma....

Wikiposts

master's degree without diploma....

Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:46 am
ndx
Just Joined

ndx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default master's degree without diploma....

Hy guys,
i have a quick question,
i just got my master degree from Romania, however i live in USA (flying back and forth for exams), i have the transcripts and a certificate that i graduated however i do not have the actual diploma in my hand. i have to fly one more time and sustain the thesis in front o the board before is issued. i have an evaluation done by WES ( world educational services) in which it says that i have the equivalent of the US master degree education.
do you think i can claim points for a master or just bachelor level?
cheers.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:20 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: master's degree without diploma....

If you have not completed the defense of your thesis then it would be said that you had not completed all requirements for the master's degree.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ndx
Hy guys,
i have a quick question,
i just got my master degree from Romania, however i live in USA (flying back and forth for exams), i have the transcripts and a certificate that i graduated however i do not have the actual diploma in my hand. i have to fly one more time and sustain the thesis in front o the board before is issued.
This is inconsistent information. How can you claim to have graduated before you have met all the requirements for the degree?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you have not completed the defense of your thesis then it would be said that you had not completed all requirements for the master's degree.
I would like to ask, if my master degree also does not included thesis,
can I claim 25 points? Thank you!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:11 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by immigrants
I would like to ask, if my master degree also does not included thesis,
can I claim 25 points? Thank you!
You don't have Master degree if you didn't successfully defend your thesis and been actually awarded a degree. Graduation from the program without thesis and without actual degree doesn't count.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You don't have Master degree if you didn't successfully defend your thesis and been actually awarded a degree. Graduation from the program without thesis and without actual degree doesn't count.
Sorry for ask you, what is the meaning of "defend your thesis"?
Does it mean that "put effort on your thesis"?

I would also like to ask, I have check that even in Canada,
some university can opt out Thesis in their taught master degree,
so that I have such query on it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:12 pm

You do your research, you write your thesis and you defend them before the committee. Once you succeed you get Master degree.

There are of course universities that allow to opt out of thesis (dissertation) - but they don't grant a Master degree, only a diploma.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

You do your research, you write your thesis and you defend them before the committee. Once you succeed you get Master degree.

There are of course universities that allow to opt out of thesis (dissertation) - but they don't grant a Master degree, only a diploma.
In our home country, there is two stream line between Postgrad diploma
and Master Degree and thesis not the only choice to award Master degree

My transcipt and my certificate also stated that I have been awarded
Master of Science in Computer Studies.

So that the problem is Master degree without thesis recognized by CIC or not,
not to discuss opt out thesis can grant Master degree or not,
at least Hong Kong can do that.

Thank you
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:33 pm

If you have a real Master degree with transcripts confirming your degree from an accredited university then you have nothing to worry
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

If you have a real Master degree with transcripts confirming your degree from an accredited university then you have nothing to worry
sound's good, that mean no thesis, online mode not important,
thank you!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by immigrants
sound's good, that mean no thesis, online mode not important,
thank you!
As I stated in the other thread - upon research on HK government site I found that in Hong Kong degree programs, not educational institutions are being accredited. And your program is not, sorry...

Maybe you can get a formal letter from government stating that it is accredited program, then you may have some chance. Processing officer without such letter will simply do what I just did and will find that your program is not accredited (I wonder why... ).
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

As I stated in the other thread - upon research on HK government site I found that in Hong Kong degree programs, not educational institutions are being accredited. And your program is not, sorry...

Maybe you can get a formal letter from government stating that it is accredited program, then you may have some chance. Processing officer without such letter will simply do what I just did and will find that your program is not accredited (I wonder why... ).
Thank you. I will do research on it