Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree.

Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree.

Old May 27th 2004, 1:11 am
yyy
Just Joined

yyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree.

Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree. does it count for 17 years full time education? They asked me when I will graudate, but I already gave them my I-20, there is an expected graduate date in I-20. Thanks for any replying.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree.

No, it doesn't and you are getting only 22 points. This is most likely why visa post asked you when you graduate from PhD program - if you would have graduation before the end of processing of your application officer would likely boost your points to 25. As you graduate 4 years from now you won't get that extra boost and if you are short of points you will probably be refused.

If you are not short of points but your case is weak and officer isn't sure about your intentions you may be told that due to your PhD program completion 4 years from now you are not ready to move to Canada now and you may be advised to apply later, when ready to move.

Originally posted by yyy
Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree. does it count for 17 years full time education? They asked me when I will graudate, but I already gave them my I-20, there is an expected graduate date in I-20. Thanks for any replying.
Old May 27th 2004, 3:39 am
yyy
Just Joined

Default Re: Master Degree, 16 years full time and 1 year full time toward a doctoral degree.

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your replying. I am so sad, will they only count my English proficiency at middle level (I didn't take IELTS) in normall? Thanks.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:36 am

Yes, it is quite normal to have English proficiency assessed as moderate or even just as basic without IELTS test. Take the test now if you can and try to save your case.

Originally posted by yyy
Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your replying. I am so sad, will they only count my English proficiency at middle level (I didn't take IELTS) in normall? Thanks.
Old May 27th 2004, 5:43 am
yyy
Just Joined

Dear Andrew,
Thank you very much. I already pass the PSDEC and BDEC, they are doing my SELDEC now, if it is not passed, I will be refused at this point? Thanks.
Old May 27th 2004, 6:25 am

Yes, if selection decision is negative you will be refused. So, try to catch up with IELTS - you may get lucky if test results reach visa post before selection decision is made.

Originally posted by yyy
Dear Andrew,
Thank you very much. I already pass the PSDEC and BDEC, they are doing my SELDEC now, if it is not passed, I will be refused at this point? Thanks.
Old May 27th 2004, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask what is PSDEC and BDEC and how do you know that you have passed?

S.
Old May 28th 2004, 2:55 am
yyy
Just Joined

It is from Caips note. They are stand for background check and paper check.
Old May 28th 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough

YYY

Andrew said that even if you have enough points your case is weka because you are still far away from yuor PhD. I am in the same situation as you. I am starting my PhD but I want to apply to work for summer internships. Could you let me know if you were rejected for this issue? If so, then I will have to apply later.

Since you did not take the IELTS, didn't you furnish your application with enough support to prove that your english is good enough?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by yyy
It is from Caips note. They are stand for background check and paper check.