Wikiposts

Marrying a Canadian citizen

Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:44 am
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying a Canadian citizen

Hi Guys,

Few Qs. Mum is marrying my uncle again..he got his candadian citizenship through his Mum about 5 years ago.

Mum is a brit..I realise he will have to sponsor her..is this the same when he marrys her in Canada where he lives and works? Plus his son needs to go to as hes only young but will he need sponsoring? since his dad was not a citizen of canada when he was born.

All so confusing! I have looked through CIC, but i cant work it out.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying a Canadian citizen

Originally Posted by pigletsweet
Hi Guys,

Few Qs. Mum is marrying my uncle again..he got his candadian citizenship through his Mum about 5 years ago.

Mum is a brit..I realise he will have to sponsor her..is this the same when he marrys her in Canada where he lives and works? Plus his son needs to go to as hes only young but will he need sponsoring? since his dad was not a citizen of canada when he was born.

All so confusing! I have looked through CIC, but i cant work it out.
How old is his son?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Hello

His son is 14 now when he was born his dad was not a citizen..his citizenship came through his mum when the canadian embassy wrote to him to inform him to claim it. He currently lives there as I mentioned to you to last time you were kind enough to help me He is working there too he been there a year or two now. I think they plan to marry in a few months but he is sponsoring her very soon and Im not sure the cogs are turning because what about little un?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so where is his son? In Canada with him, or in the UK? And is his son's mother his soon to be wife?

(disclaimer: I'm already confused so my tiny brain may not be able to get to grips with it, but just asking questions in case anybody else can help!)
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

It is a confusing one

Ok from the top.. haha. Umm Mum married my uncle (stepdad) and divorced...they remained friends and years later have decided to remarry in the meantime they had their lad now 14 in the UK.

Uncle then obtained his citizenship a few years back and is now in Canada. As he wants to remarry Mum..he needs to sponsor her..even though hes marrying her? is that right? can he sponsor his son too? whos in the UK with Mum?...... or can his son obtain citizenship even tho his dad did not have citizenship when he was born..pheww confusing.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, he certainly needs to sponsor your mum for PR, but not sure about your brother I'm afraid.

I don't know if he has somehow got citizenship too, or not because citizenship by descent cannot be passed down. But hopefully an expert will see this and be able to give you an answer, or you can check the CIC website as they have a great citizenship tool which you can use to determine if you are a citizen or not, it's just a few questions.

Good luck!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Oki Doki well thank you for your help though

My little brother has not got citizenship but his dad got it through nova scotia who wrote to him from some offices there to explain a loophole was closing and he was entitled to citizenship. It is now closed...Ooo im not sure how the lad will get there then unless you can sponsor two people