Wikiposts

Marrying in Canada

Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:12 am
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default Marrying in Canada

If you're planning to get married in Canada, this bit of advice might come in useful.

Apparently if you're getting married in Canada, and travelling there from the UK, you need to have a *handwritten* letter from your future spouse or a letter from the Canadian High Commission saying you're getting married. Otherwise the Canadian officials will suspect something is amiss, and will be delighted to hurl you onto the first flight home.

Also, don't do what I did. I booked myself a one-way flight to Canada (with Zoom, flying from Glasgow), but as I was in the line-up, security told me I needed to have a return flight, even if I had no intention of using it. Otherwise, Canadian border security would have another reason to look suspiciously at me. Reason I only needed a one-way ticket was that my fiancee worked in the US and we were travelling there after the wedding via car, but that doesn't apparently wash. So I bought a return ticket, and never used it. Even then, I was pulled over for secondary questioning in Toronto.

Just a cautionary tale, so no others have to sweat bullets like I did.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in Canada

I didn't have such a letter when I came over for the wedding in 2004. I think I had my copy of the document referring to the wedding, but I don't recall having to show it. I certainly gave getting married as the reason for the visit.

However, I did have return tickets - and was, indeed returning to England temporarily - so that probably helped.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:08 am
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

My only sources for this information come from two security guards at Glasgow airport, so it shouldn't be trusted implicitly. Get the lowdown from the Canadian High Commission.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edsask
If you're planning to get married in Canada, this bit of advice might come in useful.

Apparently if you're getting married in Canada, and travelling there from the UK, you need to have a *handwritten* letter from your future spouse or a letter from the Canadian High Commission saying you're getting married. Otherwise the Canadian officials will suspect something is amiss, and will be delighted to hurl you onto the first flight home.
Never heard of that but you may well need to show you intend to leave after your admission.

Also, don't do what I did. I booked myself a one-way flight to Canada (with Zoom, flying from Glasgow), but as I was in the line-up, security told me I needed to have a return flight, even if I had no intention of using it. Otherwise, Canadian border security would have another reason to look suspiciously at me. Reason I only needed a one-way ticket was that my fiancee worked in the US and we were travelling there after the wedding via car, but that doesn't apparently wash. So I bought a return ticket, and never used it. Even then, I was pulled over for secondary questioning in Toronto.

Return ticket is not a mandatory requirement but it does upset some airlines (especially charters) if you travel as a tourist and don't have one.

And it is true that if you arrive at Immigration without one you may need to do some explaining regarding your plans.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Shinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really nice

I too landed in Calgary on a one-way ticket, as I intended to stay until all my money was used up visiting friends I made previously on my BUNAC year there. This, apparently, was not good.

I got big hints from the IO that if I had a return ticket she wouldn't have to ask me the next stream of ridiculous questions which basically determines how long I'm allowed to remain in the country.

No bother though, as with the current processing times you just apply for an extension 30 days before your current status expires, get implied status and have the full 6 months anyway!!!

Shinkansen
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

i have Nothing when i came here to marry..i did however have a return ticket...and i told them at customs i was there to visit with my fiance and we were planning of marrying. must say didn't have a problem at all..in fact once it was said i was getting married i got a congratualions! from them.

everywhere i have read including here...always said get a RETURN ticket! so i did. and that is not just because coming here to marry..it is more to do with customs wanting to see we have a means to go home..after all when we come here..we are entering the country as a tourist. with no visa etc i think it is sensible of them to ask we have a return ticket. imagine how many in times gone past must have arrived with no return ticket..spent all their money..had no means to get back so stayed..or tried to.