marry in Canada or US???

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:27 pm
Bob Rainville

Default marry in Canada or US???

Hello all.

I am a US citizen wishing to marry my Canadian girlfriend...we have a child on the
way. I am considering Canadian citizenship. Which country should the ceremony take
place in? As citizens of two different countries, are there special forms or
applications we need to consider to make the marriage legally recognized in both
countries?

Thank you. Bob

Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:09 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: marry in Canada or US???

Bob Rainville wrote:
    > Hello all.
    > I am a US citizen wishing to marry my Canadian girlfriend...we have a child on the
    > way. I am considering Canadian citizenship. Which country should the ceremony take
    > place in? As citizens of two different countries, are there special forms or
    > applications we need to consider to make the marriage legally recognized in both
    > countries?
    > Thank you. Bob

A marriage is a marriage is a marriage. As long as you have a recognized official
marriage certificate, then that's all you need to have it recognized in most
countries (occasionally you need a certified translation).

Get married wherever you want ... If you're considering moving to Canada, why not do
it there? Saves a lot of hassles for Canadians crossing the border to attend your
wedding. (Generally a little easier going north!)

Stuart

Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:42 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: marry in Canada or US???

It doesn't matter where marriage takes place from the legality of such in US and
Canada perspective, although place should be chosen only after you decide which way
you will apply for Canadian PR visa.

Canadian citizenship will be available to you after you become Canadian PR and
accumulate 3 out of 4 years residency here.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
sending email)

"Bob Rainville" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
d.earthlink.net
    > Hello all.
    > I am a US citizen wishing to marry my Canadian girlfriend...we have a child on the
    > way. I am considering Canadian citizenship. Which country should the ceremony take
    > place in? As citizens of two different countries, are there special forms or
    > applications we need to consider to make the marriage legally recognized in both
    > countries?
    > Thank you. Bob