Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

married to a canadian.....want to emmigrate

Wikiposts

married to a canadian.....want to emmigrate

Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:48 am
Just Joined

debs_england is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile married to a canadian.....want to emmigrate

Hi everyone....i need some advice. My husband is canadian but has lived in england since 1972. we have two kids (aged 15 and 10)and are in the process of applying for their canadian passports and citizenship due to parentage. i understand that my husband can sponsor me in the family class but i have some questions and when you ring canadian immigration in London ....its all automated! my husband is currently unemployed after being made redundant and is struggling to find work. i am a registered nurse and so am able to support out family. i cannot go on a skilled worker permit as i only score 66 points on the assessment. as my husband would be sponsering me from england, he does not have an income which is requested on the application form for family class. Will this affect our application?

If it would, my father in law lives in Quebec and has offered to sponsor me but in the family class , daughter in law is not mentioned. it does say that if he has no other family in canada he is still able to sponsor but he has his new wife and their son (father in law did not sponsor them).

i cannot work in quebec as i do not speak french and so i will hopefully be working in ontario. initailly though we will be living with my father in law in montreal until we find a house. will my kids be able to attend an english speaking school in quebec as we were educated in england?

can my husband apply for his SIN number from england?

any advice would be gratefully appreciated as i feel like im going around in circles

thanks in advance
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: married to a canadian.....want to emmigrate

Originally Posted by debs_england
Hi everyone....i need some advice. My husband is canadian but has lived in england since 1972. we have two kids (aged 15 and 10)and are in the process of applying for their canadian passports and citizenship due to parentage. i understand that my husband can sponsor me in the family class but i have some questions and when you ring canadian immigration in London ....its all automated! my husband is currently unemployed after being made redundant and is struggling to find work. i am a registered nurse and so am able to support out family. i cannot go on a skilled worker permit as i only score 66 points on the assessment. as my husband would be sponsering me from england, he does not have an income which is requested on the application form for family class. Will this affect our application?
Income is not required for spousal sponsorhip
If it would, my father in law lives in Quebec and has offered to sponsor me but in the family class , daughter in law is not mentioned. it does say that if he has no other family in canada he is still able to sponsor but he has his new wife and their son (father in law did not sponsor them).

i cannot work in quebec as i do not speak french and so i will hopefully be working in ontario. initailly though we will be living with my father in law in montreal until we find a house. will my kids be able to attend an english speaking school in quebec as we were educated in england?
Dont know
No, i dont think he can. Has to go to HRDC office, unless he already has one from before? Why does he need it anyway, is it something on the sponsorship form? Shouldnt need it for job hunting until he lands a job, and even then its OK for them to wait till it comes through.
any advice would be gratefully appreciated as i feel like im going around in circles

thanks in advance
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Income is not required for spousal sponsorhipDont knowNo, i dont think he can. Has to go to HRDC office, unless he already has one from before? Why does he need it anyway, is it something on the sponsorship form? Shouldnt need it for job hunting until he lands a job, and even then its OK for them to wait till it comes through.

thanks iaink........much appreciated
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I recently applied for my SIN from the UK (I'm a canadian citizen but a very odd one in that I've never lived there!). I had to fill out a simple form (available from the High Commission or probably on the SIN people's website) and send the original of my citizenship card off to the processing centre in Canada, no fee in my case as it was my first card. I got one back in, I think, about 6 weeks.

Hth

Biiiiink
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I recently applied for my SIN from the UK (I'm a canadian citizen but a very odd one in that I've never lived there!). I had to fill out a simple form (available from the High Commission or probably on the SIN people's website) and send the original of my citizenship card off to the processing centre in Canada, no fee in my case as it was my first card. I got one back in, I think, about 6 weeks.

Hth

Biiiiink
Hi Biiiiiink

my hubby only lived in Canada for 2 years after he was born and has lived in england ever since. he doesn't have a citizenship card, just his canadian passport and birth certificate. will this cause problems????

debs
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Biiiiiink

my hubby only lived in Canada for 2 years after he was born and has lived in england ever since. he doesn't have a citizenship card, just his canadian passport and birth certificate. will this cause problems????

debs
Not a problem, you don't get a citizenship card if you were born in Canada, you use your birth certificate to prove your status. The card is only for folks like me who were born abroad but are Canadian by descent or who are naturalised Canadians. Just send the birth certificate, I think they require the original.

I can't for the life of me find the link to SIN info on the London homepage. It was really silly, it said to call a tel. no., then a recorded message on the tel. no. told you to send a stamped addressed envelope. They then sent me a form, which I assume was available on the internet in the first place. There was nothing specific for overseas applications on the form as far as I recall, you could probably just use the forms here - http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.a...0.shtml&hs=sxn

Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Not a problem, you don't get a citizenship card if you were born in Canada, you use your birth certificate to prove your status. The card is only for folks like me who were born abroad but are Canadian by descent or who are naturalised Canadians. Just send the birth certificate, I think they require the original.

I can't for the life of me find the link to SIN info on the London homepage. It was really silly, it said to call a tel. no., then a recorded message on the tel. no. told you to send a stamped addressed envelope. They then sent me a form, which I assume was available on the internet in the first place. There was nothing specific for overseas applications on the form as far as I recall, you could probably just use the forms here - http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.a...0.shtml&hs=sxn

Good luck
Thanks a lot Biiiiiink
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone....i need some advice. My husband is canadian but has lived in england since 1972. we have two kids (aged 15 and 10)and are in the process of applying for their canadian passports and citizenship due to parentage.
Out of interest, has your husband got British citizenship?
If not, he should consider naturalisation before he leaves the UK.

There are specific rules in Quebec on this. You need to visit the Quebec government website: http://www.gouv.qc.ca

If you are only staying there initially, then why not just send them to school in Ontario once you move there. You will find it very hard to look for things like jobs and houses in Ontario if you are living in Montreal so you may not want to stay there too long.

Check the HRDC (Canadian government) website.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, has your husband got British citizenship?
If not, he should consider naturalisation before he leaves the UK.

There are specific rules in Quebec on this. You need to visit the Quebec government website: http://www.gouv.qc.ca

If you are only staying there initially, then why not just send them to school in Ontario once you move there. You will find it very hard to look for things like jobs and houses in Ontario if you are living in Montreal so you may not want to stay there too long.

Check the HRDC (Canadian government) website.

Jeremy
he hasnt taken british citizenship so thats something we need to consider. thanks for the info Jeremy.

Debs
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

he hasnt taken british citizenship so thats something we need to consider. thanks for the info Jeremy.

Debs
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk is the place to get information. He would not lose his Canadian citizenship.

Look at the information on naturalisation very carefully, especially the way the residence requirement is enforced. Pay extra-special attention to the requirement to have been *physically* in the UK on the exact day three years prior to application - this confuses almost everyone.

The fast he's planning to leave the UK is irrelevant as he is married to a British citizen. However he does need to apply before leaving the UK (and preferably well in advance as the residence requirement is legislated in a confusing way and sometimes the application has to be re-declared if the applicant has got it wrong). If all is well the process can be completed in Canada if you have left at that stage.

If he doesn't become a British citizen his UK permanent resident status will expire after he moves to Canada.

Jeremy