Married in Canada..what next

Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

deanmotley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married in Canada..what next

im from London,England and recently married my fiancee in Ontario,Canada..she is canadian.
My visitor visa runs out on the 27th Oct,so i need to apply for PR in family class..
when you marry in Ontario,they dont give you a marriage cetificate,you have to wait for up to 3 months...(who on earth dreamed that system,that helps absolutely nobody wherever they are born)..
so i dont quite know what to do about that in term of providing a copy of the marraige certificate quickly.
Also my head is just spinning with all the forms and hassle.
Apparently i have to provide a UK police certificate too..wiht a photo signed by a professional person in the UK
and here i am sitting in Ontario feeling like its all quite hopeless and impossible...
can anyone out there give me any advice on how to make this happen as quickly as possible so that i can be a normal husband that can work and live with my wife..
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:24 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married in Canada..what next

Well you will have time on your hands and both of you should read the CIC's website sections on spousal sponsorship and immigration because you have to do it, there are no work arounds. Many others have already done it so its not so impossible, just a lot of work and careful documentation.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with the rest of your post but until 31st December 2008, you don't have to use the police check that needs a photo and guarantor (ACPO). You're perfectly at liberty to request the old style which needs neither. And it costs less

Look up your last police force in the UK and "subject access". Ignore any blurb they may have on their website about "if you're emigrating, only an ACPO will do" and just request the normal subject access record.

See CIC's regional police check info.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I can't help with the rest of your post but until 31st December 2008, you don't have to use the police check that needs a photo and guarantor (ACPO). You're perfectly at liberty to request the old style which needs neither. And it costs less

Look up your last police force in the UK and "subject access". Ignore any blurb they may have on their website about "if you're emigrating, only an ACPO will do" and just request the normal subject access record.

See CIC's regional police check info.
i see what you mean,im just really concerned about the time it takes,and what will happen when my visitor visa expires...and i have no idea about having a medical here either..its like the chicken and the egg..i cant work so i cant earn money,and all these cheaper options look like they take forever..
i have the forms but they dont seem to be clear...they ask for my family members details,i have no idea whether they want to know about my mothers existance becuase she is never going to come to canada..and the CIC phone service seems useless...they are robots who charge almost $4 a min and give me the same unclear answers as the website does...as u can see my head is boiling with all this stuff..
the british high commision in Ottawa is a joke..they dont allow the public in there...
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that hard, lots of us have done it. Start the forms and come back and ask any question you want, there are lots of members who can help you answer them

Before your visitor visa runs out, apply for a renewal. People here can tell you how to do that and point you in the right direction for the forms.

I don't know why you're ringing the British High Commission in Ottawa though, they're nothing to do with an application to be a PR in Canada, save your money!

Yes, they need to know who your parents/siblings are or were. It is relevant to your background checks, Canada needs to know if you are the son of a terrorist, etc.

First you need to decide if you're going via the outland route or the inland one - this wiki article explains the differences.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

It's not that hard, lots of us have done it. Start the forms and come back and ask any question you want, there are lots of members who can help you answer them

Before your visitor visa runs out, apply for a renewal. People here can tell you how to do that and point you in the right direction for the forms.

I don't know why you're ringing the British High Commission in Ottawa though, they're nothing to do with an application to be a PR in Canada, save your money!

Yes, they need to know who your parents/siblings are or were. It is relevant to your background checks, Canada needs to know if you are the son of a terrorist, etc.

First you need to decide if you're going via the outland route or the inland one - this wiki article explains the differences.
thanks..your words are making me feel a little easier on the subject...i guess everyone feels like they are the only one its happening to...
im also not looking forward to sitting around the house for months on end doing nothing but waiting for the paper trail to progress,,its a little soul destroying,to say the least !
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Also....you can now stay without renewing the visa while a PR application is current. That was a relatively recent change. I haven't heard anyone say it's been reversed.

I realise that the delay in getting your marriage cert might present a problem although that 3 months look like they could be up before October. But I think there was a document in lieu of a marriage cert that might be used if necessary.

On the CIC site you should be able to find where you can have your medical and there's a form there that you can print to have completed by the doctor; although if the doctor is used to the procedures they may have their own supply.

My PR was granted following marrying in Canada, my medical was done here and I stayed on here while the PR/sponsorship application took its course.

As for the photo....if you do the application "in Canada" a lawyer (Notary) can sign it and it appears they may not charge. They would need to see ID evidence.

But thinking back, my photos for the medical didn't need signing and the PR card was issued following the "landing" interview - the official, having confirmed everything.

The "landing" interview is something that happens even if you've been in the country for some time and is very much a formality when everything is straightforward.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 8th 2008 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Also....you can now stay without renewing the visa while a PR application is current.
I think that's for inland applications only?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's for inland applications only?
Yes. I get the impression he might prefer that instead of going back to London and waiting there, even if it does take much longer.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 8th 2008 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

"Married in Canada..what next"

a divorce???
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarik
"Married in Canada..what next"

a divorce???
Funny guy.... not, you're no Bazzz
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes. I get the impression he might prefer that instead of going back to London and waiting there, even if it does take much longer.
You don't have to wait in the UK for an application through London, you can wait in Canada. The only "risk" is that if you're called for an interview, it'll be in London. I only know 1 person on this forum who's been called for spousal/common-law interview to London (they weren't in Canada at the time afaik, just making the point that it's rare to be called).
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:39 am
Oscar nominated

You don't have to wait in the UK for an application through London, you can wait in Canada.
I thought there were some people here who said it was frowned upon to enter Canada when there was an 'out of Canada' application pending. I often wondered about that.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:34 am
Just Joined

hi..yes i will be doing my application the "already in Canada" way...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

good news..my pleading letter to the registrar has worked..the marraige certificate came today (very fast)
i have arranged for a medical in ottawa ($130)
and the UK police check is almost underway...

Fortunately I have a "professional person" to endorse my police check photo for free..my UK doctor wanted to charge
30 pounds for two minutes of his time to do it.What a nerve..I can get David Bowies genuine autograph for 40 pounds in the same street !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.