Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marriage and visitors visas - what to do?

Wikiposts

Marriage and visitors visas - what to do?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

elle6296 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Marriage and visitors visas - what to do?

Hello – my first posting, so wanted to say hello and to ask advice.

I have read many threads on this board about extension applications. All been very helpful.

Was hoping to just get some clarification on my specific circumstances.

I am a UK passport holder, currently on holiday in Canada. Been here since Oct 2007. Was previously in Canada on a 12 month BUNAC visa that expired Sept 2007.

I am returning to the UK in February. But now want to come back to Canada in March 08. The reason I want to now come back is to get married to my Canadian fiancé!! Once married, I was planning on applying for a Visa extension via CPC Vegreville based on the fact that my then husband and I are going to put together a PR application for me based on spousal sponsorship and submit this in June/July 2008.

My questions are:-

Is my timeline ok?

Will requesting another 6 month visitors visa in March arouse any suspicion? I want to be completely honest and know from what I have read on here that continually coming & going to Canada on 6 month visitors visas is NOT to be done.

When I land in March do I say I’m on holiday and only visiting? OR do I explain that I’m here to be with my fiancé, and to get married, and will apply for a visa extension, and then (in the summer) start my application for PR based on spousal sponsorship?

Finally, assuming in March I’m granted another 6 month stay and then I apply for an extension via Vegreville (current processing time about 80 + days) before September requesting another 6 months (and thus will then be on Implied Status), am I able to return to the UK on holiday in October 08 – this will be after my Spousal PR application has been filed? Do I just keep requesting extensions until I hear about my PR decision?

I really tried to make this succinct! Any help MUCH appreciated.
Yours, Elle
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Marriage and visitors visas - what to do?

Hi, and welcome to the forum
I am afraid that I can not help you with everything, but there are a few things that I think I can answer and I am sure that someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong

Originally Posted by elle6296
My questions are:-
When I land in March do I say I’m on holiday and only visiting? OR do I explain that I’m here to be with my fiancé, and to get married, and will apply for a visa extension, and then (in the summer) start my application for PR based on spousal sponsorship?
I am too sure on this. Personally I would make sure that I had a return ticket and maybe proof of funds showing that I can support myself for that period. Even if you do not intend to use the ticket I think that it's advisable to have - it's easier to prove that you have the intent to return to the UK if you can physically show them a ticket, and not just the money in your account to buy one with - Just my opinion.
Also, if you mention your partner then I wouldn't use the word 'stay' but always substitute it for 'visit'. I was given this advise when filling out my Visitor's visa and think that it would also apply here. I would try to submit your application as soon as possible, if you haven't started already, then you could begin by sorting your evidence into piles/boxes of emotional, physical, social and financial evidence.
Finally, assuming in March I’m granted another 6 month stay and then I apply for an extension via Vegreville (current processing time about 80 + days) before September requesting another 6 months (and thus will then be on Implied Status), am I able to return to the UK on holiday in October 08 – this will be after my Spousal PR application has been filed? Do I just keep requesting extensions until I hear about my PR decision?
You can submit another visa extension application with your PR application, requesting that you are able to continue your 'visit' whilst the application is being processed. I did this and they extended mine for a year.
As far as I am aware the extension becomes invalid when you leave the country.
Are you planning on applying for PR through the 'In Canada' route or the 'Out of Canada' route? You can do either if you are in Canada, but if you are applying through the 'In Canada' route, I believe that if you leave the country then the application is forfeit and you have to start again, maybe research this as I am not certain.

I hope that I have been of some help and maybe someone else will pop along with some more advice

Good luck.

(there's also valuable information in the Wiki section if you've not been there already).

Last edited by L'il Bear; Jan 30th 2008 at 8:44 am. Reason: add info.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
As far as I am aware the extension becomes invalid when you leave the country.
That's absolutely correct. If you extend your visitor's status in September and then leave Canada for a holiday in October, you're totally at the mercy of the immigration officer when you return from your hols - your previous extension is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
Are you planning on applying for PR through the 'In Canada' route or the 'Out of Canada' route? You can do either if you are in Canada, but if you are applying through the 'In Canada' route, I believe that if you leave the country then the application is forfeit and you have to start again, maybe research this as I am not certain.
Nope - I've left Canada twice during my inland spousal application and not had to reapply, but I would strongly advise the OP to not use the inland route if at all possible. I'm still waiting for PR 14 months after submitting everything, whereas if I'd had the benefit of hindsight and applied to London, I would (probably!) have had my PR months ago!

Alex
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
That's absolutely correct. If you extend your visitor's status in September and then leave Canada for a holiday in October, you're totally at the mercy of the immigration officer when you return from your hols - your previous extension is irrelevant.

Nope - I've left Canada twice during my inland spousal application and not had to reapply, but I would strongly advise the OP to not use the inland route if at all possible. I'm still waiting for PR 14 months after submitting everything, whereas if I'd had the benefit of hindsight and applied to London, I would (probably!) have had my PR months ago!

Alex
Thank you for clearing that up

I was thinking of this:

"Warning: If you leave Canada before permanent residence is approved there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to return or re-enter Canada. This is especially true if you require a visitor visa. Your application may be refused or delayed if you no longer have temporary resident status to qualify as a member of the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class."
from the 'In Canada' guide. But I guess this is the same for every entry, there is always a risk of not being admitted until you have PR or citizenship and it's reassuring that you can leave and get back in

Hopefully you will hear something soon - best of luck.

Last edited by L'il Bear; Jan 30th 2008 at 10:08 am. Reason: add