Marriage and Financial Resources

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

amtoronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage and Financial Resources

Can anyone tell me if you are required to have the 19,000 or so dollars required to "sponsor" your soon to be wife, husband or partner. I just read on the internet than in Quebec you must make 17,000 per year and the rest of Canada, 19,000 per year. However, what happens if the Canadian partner has just returned from working outside Canada doing cash in hand work and has no previous tax return and does not make the 19,000 per year required. Is there a way around this? Can I prove I have funds in the bank to support myself? Are there waivers? I was told by a lawyer that the government cannot legally require this. Any answers?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage and Financial Resources

Meeting minimum income requirement is waived when sponsoring spouse. It is enough that sponsor demonstrates ability to support spouse and meet undertaking obligations.

Originally posted by amtoronto
Can anyone tell me if you are required to have the 19,000 or so dollars required to "sponsor" your soon to be wife, husband or partner. I just read on the internet than in Quebec you must make 17,000 per year and the rest of Canada, 19,000 per year. However, what happens if the Canadian partner has just returned from working outside Canada doing cash in hand work and has no previous tax return and does not make the 19,000 per year required. Is there a way around this? Can I prove I have funds in the bank to support myself? Are there waivers? I was told by a lawyer that the government cannot legally require this. Any answers?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

amtoronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage and Financial Resources

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
Meeting minimum income requirement is waived when sponsoring spouse. It is enough that sponsor demonstrates ability to support spouse and meet undertaking obligations.

But can a sponsor be "ineligible"? I read something about this on a website. That if the Canadian is "ineligible" to sponsor, one could either withdraw the application and have the application fees refunded except for 75 dollars and there is no record and apply later when the partner is eligible. Or you could proceed anyway and most likely have the application rejected. So I assumed the ineligility was due to low income. I read the govt does this to ensure that the person doesn't wind up on welfare so they make an income requirement for the canadian wife or husbad. So what happens if the Canadian works at a very low-end job, like a coffee shop. Would she still be eligible? She has no income tax filings from the previous year either because we've been overseas.