Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate - Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Wikiposts

Marriage certificate - Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Old Nov 29th 2023, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

SeanHolmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage certificate - Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Hi,

Myself (a UK citizen) and my wife (a Canadian citizen) have been married for almost 7 years (we married in Canada and have spent 5 years living in the UK. I am currently now back in Canada living with her as a visitor (Nova Scotia) and we plan too apply for PR (for myself) via the inland spousal sponsorship route. Of course one of the documents we will need to submit is a marriage certificate, however the certificate we have is just the one we were given at the ceremony which states on the back "not legal proof of marriage". To apply for an official certificate online through vital statistics can take 2-3 months, so my question to anybody who has been through this process themselves is will we get away with submitting a scan of the initial certificate we were given at the ceremony along with all of our other documents etc? I have now applied for the "official" certificate but we could really do with not waiting that long for it to come back before we submit out PR application (being that I am currently in the country as a visitor and unable to work.)

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 4:53 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage certificate - Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Not an expert, but I'd say they won't accept the cert you have because as you stare it's not legal proof. They might just ask for you to supply the proper cert and then they will continue processing. worst case would be they just reject the application because of it and you'll need to start over.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 5:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid I'd wait. If you don't send the right thing then they'll either write back to you and ask you for it, or just return your application. Either will delay things further, them writing back to you for a missing document can add quite a chunk of time, and ditto returning an application can take months. You'll save time in the long run by making sure your application is complete and correct first time.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 5:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought - you say you have been married 7 years and were in the UK for 5 of those years, where were you for the other two? Was it Canada and if so, what was your status there?
Old Nov 30th 2023, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point

As has been stated here, the certificate they give you when you get married does not count as legal proof.
What you could do to shorten the time to obtain your official marriage certificate is apply for it, get the express shipping option to ship it back asap and do the following right after:
Fax a very nicely worded letter to the Registrar General of your provinceĀ“s office to explain your situation and that an expedited processing would help you greatly.
This may or may not speed up your processing time. It did for me.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just a thought - you say you have been married 7 years and were in the UK for 5 of those years, where were you for the other two? Was it Canada and if so, what was your status there?
Thanks for the reply, I was on a working holiday visa, I had 2 so unfortunately I can't get a third
Old Dec 1st 2023, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Antwerp_Belgian
As has been stated here, the certificate they give you when you get married does not count as legal proof.
What you could do to shorten the time to obtain your official marriage certificate is apply for it, get the express shipping option to ship it back asap and do the following right after:
Fax a very nicely worded letter to the Registrar General of your provinceĀ“s office to explain your situation and that an expedited processing would help you greatly.
Thank you for the advice, I will do this
Old Dec 5th 2023, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Apologies but I'm a little confused who the registrar General of nova scotia would be, where should I look specifically? Would it be and individual, or Vital Statistics? Much appreciated
Old Dec 5th 2023, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SeanHolmes
Thanks for the reply, I was on a working holiday visa, I had 2 so unfortunately I can't get a third
Ah. Have you checked to see if you're eligible for PR via EE - there's a chance you'd be scoring enough and it would be much quicker than a spousal app?
Old Dec 8th 2023, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeanHolmes
Apologies but I'm a little confused who the registrar General of nova scotia would be, where should I look specifically? Would it be and individual, or Vital Statistics? Much appreciated
Here you go: Apply for a Marriage Certificate - Government of Nova Scotia

In Alberta, any registry can order one. I don't know if this is the same in NS.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about the confusion! That was the case for Ontario, where the Registrar General's office is in charge of this process. It does seem that in NS you need to apply to Vital Statistics.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about the confusion! That was the case for Ontario, where the Registrar General's office is in charge of this process. It does seem that in NS you need to apply to Vital Statistics.
I did just that, and you were correct, they have fast tracked the certificate. Many, many thanks for the advice