Marriage in Canada

Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:08 am
Banned

amrik-canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage in Canada

Hi I am British Citizen girl. and My fiance is Green Card holder in USA (Not USA Citizen, only green card yet). Me (Female) was flying from UK to USA on VWP to get marry with him and come back to continue my studies in UK. But some one from UK make complaint in immigration about me that I am coming to get marry and not coming only for holidays. so they stoped me to enter in US. although I am not banned. I only need visa from US embassy.

As these things take time, so mean time i decided to meet my boyfriend in canada. we met there and now I am back.

I love canada, and me and my boy friend decided to live in canada.

Any guideline to do this whole process. and first of all how to get marry there, or shall we need to marry in our own countries first.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:17 am
Banned

amrik-canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage in Canada

Marriage in Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I am British Citizen girl. and My fiance is Green Card holder in USA (Not USA Citizen, only green card yet). Me (Female) was flying from UK to USA on VWP to get marry with him and come back to continue my studies in UK. But some one from UK make complaint in immigration about me that I am coming to get marry and not coming only for holidays. so they stoped me to enter in US. although I am not banned. I only need visa from US embassy.

As these things take time, so mean time i decided to meet my boyfriend in canada. we met there and now I am back.

I love canada, and me and my boy friend decided to live in canada.

Any guideline to do this whole process. and first of all how to get marry there, or shall we need to marry in our own countries first.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage in Canada

Originally Posted by amrik-canada
a) Me (Female) was flying from UK to USA on VWP to get marry with him and come back to continue my studies in UK. But some one from UK make complaint in immigration about me that I am coming to get marry and not coming only for holidays. so they stoped me to enter in US. although I am not banned. I only need visa from US embassy.

b) I love canada, and me and my boy friend decided to live in canada.
a) Something doesn't add up here. You can enter the US on the VWP and get married, no issues. Border control wouldn't care about that. They'd only care if it was plain to them that you intended to get married and attempt to stay in the US and adjust status.

b) If you want to immigrate to and then live in Canada....why not ask in the Canada section of the forum. This is the USA section.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt matter where you marry it wont help you.

You need to figure out what legal basis you have to settle in Canada. As hes not a US citizen the NAFTA options dont apply, so you have to look at Work/ Skill related, or family related immigration options. However that will jeopardise his GC status.

To me Canada and the US look a lot like each other, so I dont really get why you would be so smitten after a brief visit.

Anyway, there are 2 guidlines...the wiki here covers a lot of ground (blue bar at top of screen, or follow links in the "Readme" posts) and the CIC website, www.cic.gc.ca

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 5:41 am.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:37 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) Something doesn't add up here. You can enter the US on the VWP and get married, no issues. Border control wouldn't care about that. They'd only care if it was plain to them that you intended to get married and attempt to stay in the US and adjust status.

b) If you want to immigrate to and then live in Canada....why not ask in the Canada section of the forum. This is the USA section.
They sure do care, they feel that if a person is coming to the US to marry, their intention is to remain permanently and they will refuse admission.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

amrik dhaliwal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to All. For some reason my old login is not working. So I made new one.

As I mentioned, that its true US border dont bother either u r coming to get marry or not, but unless some one complaint them, which is happend in my case, thats why they stoped me to enter in US. Now I need visit visa to enter there. even with my british passport.

thats why next suitable option for us was to get settled in Canada, till my boy friend get his citizenship in US. as only then he can sponsor me as wife or fiance.

if you guys have any other solutions for me, that will be great.

another question, if i get canadian citizenship, is i am able to enter US, without having any conditions on me, because of british passport history. as I will loose my british nationality and will get canadian.

thanks
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amrik dhaliwal
Thanks to All. For some reason my old login is not working. So I made new one.
It should be working fine, but we'll cancel that account. You are only allowed one username at a time, so please don't re-register with yet another one (by my count, this is now your seventh) without contacting us first. Use this one for all future postings please.

to get settled in Canada, till my boy friend get his citizenship in US. as only then he can sponsor me as wife or fiance.
Are you even eligible for a Canadian visa? Both you and your boyfriend will need visas, you can't go on the same one as you are not married or living together. So double check to see if you both qualify for a visa first. The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) has info on all the visas available.

another question, if i get canadian citizenship, is i am able to enter US, without having any conditions on me, because of british passport history. as I will loose my british nationality and will get canadian.
It won't make any difference, you would still have the same past even with a different coloured passport. But you've got approx 5-6 years before you would be a Canadian citizen anyway, even if you are eligible to apply for a visa straight away!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You dont lose your british citizenship anyway, you just gain canadian citizenship.

As a canadian in the US at present you dont need to do the fingerprinting or electronic visa etc, but its not a stretch to think that by the time you have canadian citizenship there will be at least some security requirements by then.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:37 am
Just Joined

amrik dhaliwal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats really encouraging, much appriciated.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
They sure do care, they feel that if a person is coming to the US to marry, their intention is to remain permanently and they will refuse admission.
Nope....lots of people marry in the US on the VWP every day (no doubt). As long as they don't think you are going to try and stay and adjust status, you're fine.