Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marital Status changed after having visa stamped

Marital Status changed after having visa stamped

Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:34 am
Just Joined

coolteja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marital Status changed after having visa stamped

Hi,

Hello to all !.

I had received PR granted letter from CIC Buffalo and had my passport stamped with immigrant visa in May 2005.

I have not entered Canada yet. I am still in CA, USA.

I got married in June 2005 and now my marital status is changed to Married from single.

If I am not wrong, my existing immigrant visa on my passport is NO longer valid and I have to start a fresh application with an added applicant as my wife.

If someone can help me know the following, it will be great:

1. Is the above true ?
2. How shall I inform CIC, Buffalo about this change? and Do I have to surrender my visa? What is the process?
3. I wish to visit Canada, can I apply for a tourist visa ? Will this hinder my chances of getting a tourist visa? Anything I shall keep in mind? I hold an Indian passport.

Any help in this regard shall be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
- Teja.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:46 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marital Status changed after having visa stamped

1. Yes, this is true, your visa is no longer valid. And you didn't know when sending passport in May that you are getting married in June? What were you thinking?

2. You don't need to surrender visa but you cannot use it either. You need to start new PR application process. But it would be good idea to notify Buffalo now about change in marital status and ask for instructions. Just don't attempt to use visa.

3. If you properly notify Buffalo about facts now then it shouldn't be held against you when applying for visitor visa, while not informing them what is happening may raise red flags later.

Originally Posted by coolteja
Hi,

Hello to all !.

I had received PR granted letter from CIC Buffalo and had my passport stamped with immigrant visa in May 2005.

I have not entered Canada yet. I am still in CA, USA.

I got married in June 2005 and now my marital status is changed to Married from single.

If I am not wrong, my existing immigrant visa on my passport is NO longer valid and I have to start a fresh application with an added applicant as my wife.

If someone can help me know the following, it will be great:

1. Is the above true ?
2. How shall I inform CIC, Buffalo about this change? and Do I have to surrender my visa? What is the process?
3. I wish to visit Canada, can I apply for a tourist visa ? Will this hinder my chances of getting a tourist visa? Anything I shall keep in mind? I hold an Indian passport.

Any help in this regard shall be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
- Teja.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:51 am
Just Joined

coolteja is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mr Miller,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1. Yes I did know in May , that I will be getting married , but I thought I will enter Canada before getting married and due to some personal issues couldnt enter Canada before getting married and got married a little earlier than what I had planned.

2. I do not wish to use my visa. Since it is invalid, and I will send Buffalo a fax by next week.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Regards,
- Teja

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
1. Yes, this is true, your visa is no longer valid. And you didn't know when sending passport in May that you are getting married in June? What were you thinking?

2. You don't need to surrender visa but you cannot use it either. You need to start new PR application process. But it would be good idea to notify Buffalo now about change in marital status and ask for instructions. Just don't attempt to use visa.

3. If you properly notify Buffalo about facts now then it shouldn't be held against you when applying for visitor visa, while not informing them what is happening may raise red flags later.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

The website of CIC London doesn't say you need to start new PR application process. Instead it says the following (in the FAQ section):

---------

When I applied for permanent residence I was single. I have received my visa, but now I am married. Can I go to Canada and sponsor my spouse later?

No, your visa is not valid if it does not accurately reflect your legal status and you will not be permitted to enter Canada. You must inform us immediately, in writing, of your new matrimonial status. If your spouse is not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, he or she must be examined in the context of your application, whether or not he or she will accompany you to Canada. We will send you the forms which your spouse must complete as well as a list of documents required. He or she will have to undergo a medical examination. If your spouse is accompanying you to Canada, you will also have to pay the required fees and submit a copy of his or her passport. If your destination is in the province of Quebec, your spouse must also obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ).

You MUST return your visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms to our office for cancellation. Once your spouse has been examined, unless he or she is inadmissible, we will issue the visa(s).

Any current family member not examined in this application can NEVER be sponsored by you in the future. Misrepresenting or withholding information would render you inadmissible to Canada.

-----

Jeremy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:51 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeremy,

London is so far the only visa post I'm aware of that implemented such flexible policy. Just like they do with proof of funds. When you browse through past posts reporting similar problems but with other visa posts you'll see that Buffalo is quite strict and simply sends short letter back advising applicant to re-apply.

But hey, you won't know for sure without trying. I've seen miracles happen and this is why I advised OP to notify Buffalo about the fact and to **ask for instructions**. Miracle may happen.

Originally Posted by JAJ
The website of CIC London doesn't say you need to start new PR application process. Instead it says the following (in the FAQ section):

---------

When I applied for permanent residence I was single. I have received my visa, but now I am married. Can I go to Canada and sponsor my spouse later?

No, your visa is not valid if it does not accurately reflect your legal status and you will not be permitted to enter Canada. You must inform us immediately, in writing, of your new matrimonial status. If your spouse is not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, he or she must be examined in the context of your application, whether or not he or she will accompany you to Canada. We will send you the forms which your spouse must complete as well as a list of documents required. He or she will have to undergo a medical examination. If your spouse is accompanying you to Canada, you will also have to pay the required fees and submit a copy of his or her passport. If your destination is in the province of Quebec, your spouse must also obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ).

You MUST return your visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms to our office for cancellation. Once your spouse has been examined, unless he or she is inadmissible, we will issue the visa(s).

Any current family member not examined in this application can NEVER be sponsored by you in the future. Misrepresenting or withholding information would render you inadmissible to Canada.

-----

Jeremy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

byron is on a distinguished road

Coolteja,

Your story is really strange. Did you know that after getting PR visa your marriage might cancel the visa ? Hopefully, the miracle is gonna happen for you.

byron