Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

MArch AOR's who haev had medicals sign in please??

MArch AOR's who haev had medicals sign in please??

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:35 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: MArch AOR's who haev had medicals sign in please??

God I hope not? They say the average wait for PPRequests is 4 weeks from medical received. Are you skilled worker? We cannot wait until then, our house will be sold in a few weeks and we have nowhere to go other than Canada, so we will go there and wait for passports requests, hoping they dont ask for us to return for any reason! We can send any docs from there, and land as seasonal visitors. Just a bit worrying if for any reason they chose to say no! at this stage God forbid.
At least we can afford to live there for a bit without working, but I need some sort of closure of this application before Xmas or I will be hanging myself by then!

Originally Posted by catreya
In the same boat. Am a June AOR. Looks like early 2006 ... I received an email to that effect. An year after the medicals

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

catreya is an unknown quantity at this point

1. There is no average waiting period. As i understand it, each case is different. In fact my friends who applied 3 months before me, got their PR within 9 months... and here I am ...waiting
2. I studied in Canada and applied during my final year of education. Now I am working in Canada ... even then its taking them so long ... go figure
3. My skilled worker application is being processed at Buffalo. I am not sure where your application is being processed.
4. Good to know that you have savings but do not think its a walk in the park when it comes to getting a job. The famous "Canadian Experience" is a major hurdle to cross. I studied here for two years hoping to overcome this but banged my head against "Not landed immigrant" wall. Took me all of nerve wracking 7 months to get a decent job.
5. I do hope that you get your PR within your constraints, but it doesn't hurt to have a plan B.

all the best!!!

Originally Posted by gooding
God I hope not? They say the average wait for PPRequests is 4 weeks from medical received. Are you skilled worker? We cannot wait until then, our house will be sold in a few weeks and we have nowhere to go other than Canada, so we will go there and wait for passports requests, hoping they dont ask for us to return for any reason! We can send any docs from there, and land as seasonal visitors. Just a bit worrying if for any reason they chose to say no! at this stage God forbid.
At least we can afford to live there for a bit without working, but I need some sort of closure of this application before Xmas or I will be hanging myself by then!

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:08 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

A story about buses:-
We've had our house on the market now for 12 months without a sniff of an offer (old cottage, no parking etc), 40 viewings, nowt. Changed estate agents and their first viewing resulted in a couple really wanting our house. They put theirs on the market at way below market value for a quick sale. We had a think about it and thought, why don't we buy their house off them and either sell it on or rent it out! It'll take the pressure off selling our cottage as it's in a much higher price band and much more difficult to sell than theirs. So we put it to them and said that if they offer asking price for ours, we'll accept their asking price for thiers! So we're basically swapping houses. There's a few advantages for us here,
1 - We'll near enough own a house (4 bed modern, garage, but the marina etc) and be able to rent it out, hence going to Canada straight away with an income from rent.
2 - Own a house £40k under the value that others are going for in the area.
3 - Get asking price for ours.
4 - Still own propety in the UK if I get fed up with working for MacDonalds in Canada (joke).
5 - No chain as such.
That all happened on Monday, had a call on Tue from the agents who reminded us that we'd arranged for a viewing on Tue night, we didnt really want to do it as we'd already agreed a sale, but the agents said it could be a backup. Had the viewing, offered us asking price!! Then yesterday we had a call from our old agents who told us that we had a viewing 6 months ago from someone who'd just managed to sell their house and wants to offer asking price!!!
WTF???
We're going with option 1 though, as with downsizing and renting out, it'll pay off what little mortgage we have plus give us an income yay!
So if we dont sell we'll be going over with a smaller amount of cash than expected, but we can always sell later if needed.
Sorry to babble
Any news today Mike?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:25 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Good thinking Bleech! Sometimes this may be a good option, especially with the exchange rates at present. We were incredibly lucky to have sold within 4 weeks, at just a few hundred under asking price, which was pushing it anyway. Our first estate agent said we would get under £10,000 what we got. Where do these guys get there prcing?? We told him b******s and put it on with other agent and said take it or leave it. Dont understand what they have to lose of they do sell for more than they thought!

Weve decided if we dont get PP requests we are going anyway for a "long holiday" we have nothing to lose, and see it as an adventure!..
Hoepfullt PPR's will come soon if not were off regardless, and worry about whay happens next later!

Originally Posted by Bleech
A story about buses:-
We've had our house on the market now for 12 months without a sniff of an offer (old cottage, no parking etc), 40 viewings, nowt. Changed estate agents and their first viewing resulted in a couple really wanting our house. They put theirs on the market at way below market value for a quick sale. We had a think about it and thought, why don't we buy their house off them and either sell it on or rent it out! It'll take the pressure off selling our cottage as it's in a much higher price band and much more difficult to sell than theirs. So we put it to them and said that if they offer asking price for ours, we'll accept their asking price for thiers! So we're basically swapping houses. There's a few advantages for us here,
1 - We'll near enough own a house (4 bed modern, garage, but the marina etc) and be able to rent it out, hence going to Canada straight away with an income from rent.
2 - Own a house £40k under the value that others are going for in the area.
3 - Get asking price for ours.
4 - Still own propety in the UK if I get fed up with working for MacDonalds in Canada (joke).
5 - No chain as such.
That all happened on Monday, had a call on Tue from the agents who reminded us that we'd arranged for a viewing on Tue night, we didnt really want to do it as we'd already agreed a sale, but the agents said it could be a backup. Had the viewing, offered us asking price!! Then yesterday we had a call from our old agents who told us that we had a viewing 6 months ago from someone who'd just managed to sell their house and wants to offer asking price!!!
WTF???
We're going with option 1 though, as with downsizing and renting out, it'll pay off what little mortgage we have plus give us an income yay!
So if we dont sell we'll be going over with a smaller amount of cash than expected, but we can always sell later if needed.
Sorry to babble
Any news today Mike?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Hey great news Bleech gives you lots of options now, and also with exchange rates the way they are now you may be better off keeping most of your capital in sterling to this improves.
Postman has been but alas no Brown Envelope must be next week.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:41 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Good thinking Bleech! Sometimes this may be a good option, especially with the exchange rates at present. We were incredibly lucky to have sold within 4 weeks, at just a few hundred under asking price, which was pushing it anyway. Our first estate agent said we would get under £10,000 what we got. Where do these guys get there prcing?? We told him b******s and put it on with other agent and said take it or leave it. Dont understand what they have to lose of they do sell for more than they thought!

Weve decided if we dont get PP requests we are going anyway for a "long holiday" we have nothing to lose, and see it as an adventure!..
Hoepfullt PPR's will come soon if not were off regardless, and worry about whay happens next later!
4 weeks is great, lucky you. When I think back to the hours of cleaning etc Ggrrr
I really like our new estate agent, not only did she get 2 offers from 2 viewings, she does a real sales job, not just stand there "This is the kitchen", also she's gorgeous and has the the most amazing legs, errr am I thinking out load again?
A long holiday is a really good idea! How long can you stay as a visitor before they ship you back to England is handcuffs? You should get it all sorted before Christmas though I would of thought?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

stainedglasslady is on a distinguished road

Brilliant idea, congratulations. We are exchanging estate agents this weekend, 13 weeks with Remax and not even a viewer. We sent a good friend in last weekend as a secret shopper, with all the right questions that fitted our house to a 'T'. Alas, the laid back (horizontal) estate agent could not be bothered, so when my friend asked specifically for our house, pointing to it on the wall, he was told "Ah, well ! quite unique that one !" he hasn't even been to the house to look at it himself ! Then insisted on trying to sell every house but ours. Our is the most expensive in the shop so they stood to make a packet in commission. Enough is enough ! Even after giving the estate agent a lesson on uploading our photos of our house (taken by us as his were so bad) and us typing up the full property description on his computer for him and loading it onto the web (as he couldn't type or spell !) we are going to pastures new ! And they had better not try to charge us !!!!

So good luck to you all who are on their way over the pond and fingers crossed for all those to are still selling.

4 weeks is great, lucky you. When I think back to the hours of cleaning etc Ggrrr
I really like our new estate agent, not only did she get 2 offers from 2 viewings, she does a real sales job, not just stand there "This is the kitchen", also she's gorgeous and has the the most amazing legs, errr am I thinking out load again?
A long holiday is a really good idea! How long can you stay as a visitor before they ship you back to England is handcuffs? You should get it all sorted before Christmas though I would of thought?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

halanddawn is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not helping my stress levels - we are a March 04 AOR and we still haven't heard anything about medicals. i hope they haven't forgot about us........
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:22 am
Here and happy at last

You can stay as a visitor for up to 6 months, but it is at the discretion of the customs guys. YOu can also shiop all yoyur gear in, on the understanding it has to be removed when you leave as seasonal visitor. ( Once youget PR it just satys) I dont have any "boot out date" on any of my stamps in passport. But this is the "norm". I have heard of many people that have extended that stay, by contacting visa issuing people within Canada. I did so when I was in Australia very easily.
If you can show you have enough dosh to live on during that extended stay then they cant really say no, as you are spending it in Canada. As we have a house there, and if they want us they can easily find us.
We considered keeping our house on in UK, but knew that there is a cut of point with stamp duty etc, where property any dearer than ours just dont sell, very quickly at all. Mainly because they are ideal for a family, who can hardly afford to buy without a huge mortgage or large deposit as it is. Just like Canada people with kids that have flown the coup are downsizing, to apartments/ bungalows or moving to Europe in the sun.

We want the capital to buy another property in Canada, as our investment, for our daughter.
I do fear here that prices have reached a peak, and the only way they can go is down for the next few years. May be wrong , but try working out what a couple with kids wanting to buy a £250K house need as a downpayment or mortgage would have to pay, and you can see why some property does not sell.
I have been a "landlady" on property twice. One, I left with a property agent, when we claimed the house back, we were in tears, they had let them have a dog in the house which we said no to then, and this dog was just left. The carpets was full of urine!!! :scared: They had decorated in the brightest colours, without us knowing, and the agents could not care less. I could not cope with having to worry about returning to see my house ruined after all we have done to it. It is a huge worry being 100 miles away, let alone thousands.
On that subject. Did you know about the huge problem they have in BC with dope being grown in by tenants in houses. If they find out, the authorities can bulldoze a house, regardless of the owners protests!!

We so hate England we cant wait to sever all ties to the place. Our future is in Canada and we will give it 110% Property there is rising steeply with no sign of letting up. We have already made a 40% profit on what we paid, and we have not even moved there yet!

We were lucky to get the 2.5% exchange rate, and savings here you can get at 8% so until we need the money there, it is staying here ready for transferring. We can live off some capital and the interest, until PR comes through, if not before we go.

Only problems we have is health insurance , which will have to be our travel insurance, until we land.
Neither of us need prescriptions, and will have dental check before we go,
Our daughter also cant go to high school, unless we pay. But we have visited the school and they say she cant start until February anyway.
We have decided to use the time to travel around a bit, landscape the garden, research a job for husband. I can actually work there as it is for a UK company and I am paid in UK, and my work is just send back to UK.

We cant wait anymore it is as simple as that. Life is very short and if you dont take a gamble now and again then life is very dull indeed.
I wish you all the best of luck, and lets hope al the Passport requests arrive together like the medicals.

Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Bump anyone had any news or PPR yet
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

catreya is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Monday gone by without any brown envelope...sigh..

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Bump anyone had any news or PPR yet
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:39 pm
Here and happy at last

No news either. Starting to have palpitations now.
I have a house full of boxes, despite no firm completion date, just December the 1st being mentioned, as most likely. I cant book flights because of having to book animals as well. However we need to get out goods out of country before Xmas, because I have been told costs extra if your freight is sent over this time. Or it will have to go into storage and be sent after Xmas to avoid excess charges. Is this worse than medical request wait?? Not quite but still another stressful time I dont need.

QUOTE=Mike Gas]Bump anyone had any news or PPR yet [/QUOTE]
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

No Brown Envelopes in the post today do you think they have run out of PPR letters?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:16 am
Here and happy at last

Nothing for me either. Panicked today as we have noticed flights disappearing fast over Xmas. No Canadian Affair flights between Dec 1st and January. Limited Zoom. Air Canada still have cheap non flexi, or expensive flexible, but I am sure they will drop away with people booking for Xmas / ski trips etc.
When you need to ship huose contents and animals as well as ourselves it becomes too much to juggle at short notice. Roll on next week.

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
No Brown Envelopes in the post today do you think they have run out of PPR letters?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing for me either. Panicked today as we have noticed flights disappearing fast over Xmas. No Canadian Affair flights between Dec 1st and January. Limited Zoom. Air Canada still have cheap non flexi, or expensive flexible, but I am sure they will drop away with people booking for Xmas / ski trips etc.
When you need to ship huose contents and animals as well as ourselves it becomes too much to juggle at short notice. Roll on next week.
Yea I noticed that the flights were going fast so I booked a flight with zoom four weeks ago Visa or no Visa were going leaving party booked etc. Also noticed that Zoom have changed there access baggage charges from £2.50 to £5 a kilo since we booked so I will e mail them and see if they will honour there terms and conditions in force at the time of booking, as this was one of the main reasons for using zoom.
I hope they aren’t going to make us wait much longer for PPR I am going to give it two more weeks then I will make a trip to CHC to see if I can move things along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.