Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:06 am
Just Joined

BoyBilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Wrong. It is one of the factors immigration officer must assess during landing process - to determine if immigrant is coming to Canada to establish his or her permanent residency here, not just to land. Fact that often landing is more than smooth and some officers are or were flexible doesn't mean that it is not their job to determine if immigrant is coming to establish permanent residency in Canada. Looks like more often now officers are proceeding more "by the book" than before.

Hello Mr. Miller,

1- Is it possible, in case the new immigrant is asked to pick up the PR Card in person, he has someone to pick it up. For example, I am asked to pick up the card in person and i give the receipt (for the PR Card) to my friend and ask him to pick it up it for me and then send it on to my address.

2- If i land in Vancouver, but my mailing address is in Mississauga, then where will be the pick up address possibly (If i am supposed to pick up the card)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:43 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Absolutely not. The law doesn't allow anyone else but the applicant himself or herself to pick up the Card in person. This is one if the tools to weed out those who don't reside in Canada. You don't need PR Card if you are not in Canada. If you want to return to Canada within time frame allowing you to still meet 2/5 residency obligations then simply apply for Travel Document few weeks prior to planned return to Canada. Once back here for good apply for PR Card.

2. It will be scheduled in the CIC office closest to the address you provide during landing.

Originally Posted by BoyBilly
Hello Mr. Miller,

1- Is it possible, in case the new immigrant is asked to pick up the PR Card in person, he has someone to pick it up. For example, I am asked to pick up the card in person and i give the receipt (for the PR Card) to my friend and ask him to pick it up it for me and then send it on to my address.

2- If i land in Vancouver, but my mailing address is in Mississauga, then where will be the pick up address possibly (If i am supposed to pick up the card)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it is not a new procedure, you are confused.

This thread is about newly landing immigrants who normally should receive their PR Cards by mail, but in some cases are told to pick them up in person. Looks like you somehow (and I don't know why) "fit the profile" of those who are asked to pick up the card in person.
Mr. Miller, I am still a little confused about what "the profile" is. Is it people who are becoming PR without real intention of residing (as a backup to green card application) or is it just people who, at the time of entering Canada, are not intending to move there right at that moment?

You said earlier in this thread that this situation does not apply to my case. This is true if "the profile" is people who aren't really serious about residing in Alaska. If, on the other hand, it is about people landing before they are quite ready to move, then it does apply to me and my son.

The reason I am asking is that we were planning to have my son land at the BC/Washington border north of Spokane on the first of the year. We are going on a holiday ski trip. He is in school in Fairbanks until May. It would be quite inconvenient for him to have to go to Whitehorse from Fairbanks to pick up his card (especially since he probably needs the card to board the commercial carrier between Fairbanks and Whitehorse). It's about a 14 hour drive in the summer, and who knows in the winter, plus he has no car.

It is going to be very obvious when he lands that we aren't moving at the time, and there is no sense being anything but open about it. Since we live in Alaska and intend to move to the Yukon, it's going to be pretty obvious when we cross the border with our skis and a rental car that we aren't in the process of moving to Whitehorse right then.

I guess if it happens, he'll just have to miss class a couple of days and go to Whitehorse.

Thanks for your help. I realize this is a small problem compared to others on this forum but I would like to be informed of what the issues are.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

netkit is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is about newly landing immigrants who normally should receive their PR Cards by mail, but in some cases are told to pick them up in person. Looks like you somehow (and I don't know why) "fit the profile" of those who are asked to pick up the card in person. There is still a hope that you'll get it by mail if you provided your residential address in Canada during landing. If called to pick up card in person then ask them why when picking it up and please let us know what happened.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272077

Another example of picking the card in person. Although they r not claiming to pick it but after 45 days just asking to come for new Photos and to fill some supplementary form. Why not such things at the time of landing .
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:41 pm

You don't need to worry, you are not immigrants who have at the same time (or hope to have) a Green Card application pending in US.

Originally Posted by MrBosco
Mr. Miller, I am still a little confused about what "the profile" is. Is it people who are becoming PR without real intention of residing (as a backup to green card application) or is it just people who, at the time of entering Canada, are not intending to move there right at that moment?

You said earlier in this thread that this situation does not apply to my case. This is true if "the profile" is people who aren't really serious about residing in Alaska. If, on the other hand, it is about people landing before they are quite ready to move, then it does apply to me and my son.

The reason I am asking is that we were planning to have my son land at the BC/Washington border north of Spokane on the first of the year. We are going on a holiday ski trip. He is in school in Fairbanks until May. It would be quite inconvenient for him to have to go to Whitehorse from Fairbanks to pick up his card (especially since he probably needs the card to board the commercial carrier between Fairbanks and Whitehorse). It's about a 14 hour drive in the summer, and who knows in the winter, plus he has no car.

It is going to be very obvious when he lands that we aren't moving at the time, and there is no sense being anything but open about it. Since we live in Alaska and intend to move to the Yukon, it's going to be pretty obvious when we cross the border with our skis and a rental car that we aren't in the process of moving to Whitehorse right then.

I guess if it happens, he'll just have to miss class a couple of days and go to Whitehorse.

Thanks for your help. I realize this is a small problem compared to others on this forum but I would like to be informed of what the issues are.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

immquest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:mail or to pick up - Mr Miller please

Planning to land in Feb @ Toronto.
I read the threads here and have couple of questions.

Case1:
As I would not have an address in Canada when I land, how can I give them an address to mail the card? Is the address of my immigration consultant good enough?

Case2:
If I have to pick up the card in person and if I have left Canada before getting the card, how can I enter Canada again to get the card?

Thanks,
Immquest.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:06 am

Default Re: mail or to pick up - Mr Miller please

Both your questions have been fully replied to hundreds of times already - make some effort and read past posts please. Or ask your consultant.

Originally Posted by immquest
Planning to land in Feb @ Toronto.
I read the threads here and have couple of questions.

Case1:
As I would not have an address in Canada when I land, how can I give them an address to mail the card? Is the address of my immigration consultant good enough?

Case2:
If I have to pick up the card in person and if I have left Canada before getting the card, how can I enter Canada again to get the card?

Thanks,
Immquest.