Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Old Dec 11th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

netkit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

i want ur feedback regarding maple leaf card that now a days immigration officers are asking immigrant to pick the card inspite of getting it by mail.

All responses r welcome
Old Dec 11th 2004, 4:07 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maple leaf card by mail or to pick up

Only those who land with apparent intention to return to US shortly after landing are being told that they will have to pick up PR Cards in person. Immigrants who are **moving** to Canada at the time of landing don't experience similar treatment.

Originally Posted by netkit
i want ur feedback regarding maple leaf card that now a days immigration officers are asking immigrant to pick the card inspite of getting it by mail.

All responses r welcome
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Only those who land with apparent intention to return to US shortly after landing are being told that they will have to pick up PR Cards in person. Immigrants who are **moving** to Canada at the time of landing don't experience similar treatment.
In other words, if it is inconvenient for you to pick it up in person, they will require you to. If it is not inconvenient, then they don't need to require you to.

This makes no sense, which is why I'm sure it is correct.

When I landed, I they didn't ask when I was moving to Canada permanently, and I didn't tell them. Fortunately, they seemed to indicate the card would be mailed. I hope that is true. I have a mailbox in canada that a friend checks once per week.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 8:12 am

MrBosco - you are not fitting the profile of "immigrant" who applied for Canadian PR primarly as a backup to his or her pending or intended US Green Card process, thus you didn't experience what they lately are facing.

You simply can't compare your case to theirs.

Originally Posted by MrBosco
In other words, if it is inconvenient for you to pick it up in person, they will require you to. If it is not inconvenient, then they don't need to require you to.

This makes no sense, which is why I'm sure it is correct.

When I landed, I they didn't ask when I was moving to Canada permanently, and I didn't tell them. Fortunately, they seemed to indicate the card would be mailed. I hope that is true. I have a mailbox in canada that a friend checks once per week.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

BoyBilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mr. Miller

1- What if the immigrant is intending to return back to another country and not US?
2- And in general, are you saying that if the immigration officer finds out the immigrant is intending to return shortly after landing, then he/she may ask the immigrant to stay in Canada till he can pick up the PR Card in person?

Thanks for your clarification in advance.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 12:50 pm

I don't know as reports about being told to pick up Card in person are quite new development and we don't have yet enough data to evaluate it.

And no, officer will not make anyone stay in Canada - officer may only say that to complete PR Card process such will have to be picked up in person. Under the law PR Card applicant has 180 days from Card being issued to pick it up and how immigrant will manage to do it is not officer's concern.

Originally Posted by BoyBilly
Hi Mr. Miller

1- What if the immigrant is intending to return back to another country and not US?
2- And in general, are you saying that if the immigration officer finds out the immigrant is intending to return shortly after landing, then he/she may ask the immigrant to stay in Canada till he can pick up the PR Card in person?

Thanks for your clarification in advance.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew

I don't know as reports about being told to pick up Card in person are quite new development and we don't have yet enough data to evaluate it.

And no, officer will not make anyone stay in Canada - officer may only say that to complete PR Card process such will have to be picked up in person. Under the law PR Card applicant has 180 days from Card being issued to pick it up and how immigrant will manage to do it is not officer's concern.
It might be that the Port of Entry officers no longer work for CIC but for the CBSA and they are developing some sort of new policy without CIC imput?

PMM
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:41 pm

Could be that CBSA is developing policy from the enforcement point of view. It would make sense as they are the ones dealing with "returning residents" claiming that they've been away for just few months. This way ball goes back to CIC in visa posts to determine one's status when application for Travel Document is screened. We'll have to wait and see what other things will start happening after June 2005 (the third anniversary of implementation of IRPA) as only after that date we'll see serious increase of reports from those who's ability to meet 2/5 residency requirements will come to serious doubts.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Andrew

It might be that the Port of Entry officers no longer work for CIC but for the CBSA and they are developing some sort of new policy without CIC imput?

PMM
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:10 am
Just Joined

punchnjudy is an unknown quantity at this point

No - ive lived in canada for many years before i became PR recently. When I landed at the airport - while coming back from a trip to the states - i told the immig officer specifically that Ive lived in canada for many years and showed him my canadian drivers licence when he asked for an address. he told me that I would soon receive instructions on how to pick up my PR card.

so i guess this is a new procedure - where youve got to show your ID and pick up the card - probably security related.

Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:32 am

No, it is not a new procedure, you are confused.

It has been always like this since implementation of IRPA and introduction of PR Cards. Already existing PR who landed prior to June 28 2002 must apply for PR Card by mail and pick them up in person. Same applies to all PR Card renewals - they will have to be picked up in person too.

This thread is about newly landing immigrants who normally should receive their PR Cards by mail, but in some cases are told to pick them up in person. Looks like you somehow (and I don't know why) "fit the profile" of those who are asked to pick up the card in person. There is still a hope that you'll get it by mail if you provided your residential address in Canada during landing. If called to pick up card in person then ask them why when picking it up and please let us know what happened.

Originally Posted by punchnjudy
No - ive lived in canada for many years before i became PR recently. When I landed at the airport - while coming back from a trip to the states - i told the immig officer specifically that Ive lived in canada for many years and showed him my canadian drivers licence when he asked for an address. he told me that I would soon receive instructions on how to pick up my PR card.

so i guess this is a new procedure - where youve got to show your ID and pick up the card - probably security related.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Dec 12th 2004 at 7:35 am.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

another silly question from my side. When i will move to Canada i will be importing my car into Canada and I will bring US cutom clearance and other documents with me. Would that be a good enough to convince Immigration officer that i am serious in settling down in Canada and not just using PR Status as a backup option.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

charmer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

it is not the immigration officers job to judge whether youre coming to settle down or not. I literally landed only with the clothes i was wearing

He is only concerned with the money you have, and other immig details.

You can leave immediately after you land. If you are out of canada for more than 3 years continuously then youve got a problem, but then you are not his problem

Originally Posted by orazone
another silly question from my side. When i will move to Canada i will be importing my car into Canada and I will bring US cutom clearance and other documents with me. Would that be a good enough to convince Immigration officer that i am serious in settling down in Canada and not just using PR Status as a backup option.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:58 am

Wrong. It is one of the factors immigration officer must assess during landing process - to determine if immigrant is coming to Canada to establish his or her permanent residency here, not just to land. Fact that often landing is more than smooth and some officers are or were flexible doesn't mean that it is not their job to determine if immigrant is coming to establish permanent residency in Canada. Looks like more often now officers are proceeding more "by the book" than before.

Originally Posted by charmer6
it is not the immigration officers job to judge whether youre coming to settle down or not. I literally landed only with the clothes i was wearing

He is only concerned with the money you have, and other immig details.

You can leave immediately after you land. If you are out of canada for more than 3 years continuously then youve got a problem, but then you are not his problem
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:59 am

It will be one of many factors that may be taken into consideration when assessing your intentions, but not the only one.

Originally Posted by orazone
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:15 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew

It will be one of many factors that may be taken into consideration when assessing your intentions, but not the only one.
Your earlier mention of CSBA following the "book" might be the reason also at some of POES they are insisting that you get a admission refusal from the US instead of flagpoling. Because if one reads the Regs/Manuals, you are supposed to have left Canada and either been refused admission or admitted to the US before you can state that you have "left" Canada.

PMM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.