Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Sorry to say, but most likely this will not count for much here. Retail work is considered low skilled (apart from manager positions), employers train ppl usually hands-on, so while she might be easily employable, I don't think she stands a chance as main applicant. I am not in retail, so don't know if the above accounting program is used here, but general knowledge in accounting/bookkeeping is never bad.

Thanks again for the reply Mantitobain, this is a bit of a worry, my wife has certainly better qualifications than me from an education point of view. We thought she would have a better chance as the main applicant.

Forget that as an start! a) you need to redo your trucking license, which is clearly not for free and b) without experience you have very low chances of getting hired coming new to the country (of course you can do what you want, once you have PR...)

This is something I've realised. So to help me in my quest, I'm currently in the process of applying to going over to Canada/US with a US custom harvester as a trucker. If this is successful, I'll get a CDL and about 7 months experience hauling crops and farm machinery. While over there, I'd also try and explore some of the rural towns of Manitoba, if the opportunity became available. Would this be enough to get me employment as a trucker in Manitoba?

Great that you looked already at different towns/places. Pluspoints there You will find the same being true for almost every small town in Manitoba. I am from a different area in Manitoba check out www.town.rossburn.mb.ca , we have added outdoor activities through the approximity of the Riding Mountain National Park...otherwise usually the biggest crimes are those darn speeding tickets

We would definitely consider other towns, but ideally we would like to live in a rural town, that could also offer shopping facilities or was within a hours drive. This would be for my wife to find employment, and to help with an awful shopping bug my two daughters have caught from their mother.

This is where you would fail! You HAVE to be able to show settlement funding when applying for PNP. You can use though your house to do that, if you have it assessed and the value can be proven at least as high (preferable higher) as the settlement funding needed. You have to show though too, that the funds are easy accessible, which would mean in your specific case, probably a letter from the bank saying that they would lent you the needed amount against the house, if need be.

If the lack of funds where our only obstacle, I'm sure we could find them, with selling our car, frantic saving or help from my parents. At what stage of the process are the proof of funds required?

Forget them. It will be hold against you if you have family in Ontario, but you apply for PNP in Manitoba, chances that you stay permanently in MB is considered lower in that case. Cousin is far enough out, that you don't need to mention them..especially if you don't have much contact with them.

Forgotten them already.

If your heart is set on Morden, do contact the immigration/settlement contact over there. I know they are usually very busy, as their amount of immigrants is way higher than ours (lot of immigrants from Germany), do mention the strategic stream right away. Strategic stream works through communities, contact with communities prior to contacting PNP is essential.

No not at all, we would happily consider any town that were willing to accept us into their community, and has very little crime. All suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated.

If you like our area, you can give me as well a PM

Your area looks very peaceful and well maintained (looking from google maps). This would be the kind of area we'd be happy to settle in. It's close to lakes, a provincial park and an array of wildlife (these things interest me greatly). We just need a shopping area close by (for the wife and girls) and It would be ideal.

hope this helps a lil

Ilse

It's been extremely helpful thank you. I hope we have some skills that may be useful to Manitoba.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

*hopes wife and daughters are on restricted credit cards for the shopping spree*
If that is a criteria of decision were to move, you will have to look closer around Winnipeg and Brandon (we are about 1 1/2 hrs from Brandon).

Not sure about the trucking experience. You are allowed in the US with your license? (sorry no clue about the US). It should help, if that is possible but truckers will be way smarter on that one than me .

Proof of funds is due at the moment of Provincial Nomination application. Read through forms and application kit info at the MB immigration website for more details.

keep at it
cheers
Ilse
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

*hopes wife and daughters are on restricted credit cards for the shopping spree*
Actually I'm a bit worried about going over to the US for 7 months. I'm afraid when I come home, the wife and kids will be buried under a mountain of clothes.

If that is a criteria of decision were to move, you will have to look closer around Winnipeg and Brandon (we are about 1 1/2 hrs from Brandon).
I never really thought it was tbh. 1.5 hrs wouldn't be to bad if it was for an occasional day out shopping, but I suppose for the wife to find employment it would be a bit much.

Not sure about the trucking experience. You are allowed in the US with your license? (sorry no clue about the US). It should help, if that is possible but truckers will be way smarter on that one than me .
Well they can bring me over on a H2a visa with my licence, but I'd have to take the US CDL test when I got there to drive their trucks.

Proof of funds is due at the moment of Provincial Nomination application. Read through forms and application kit info at the MB immigration website for more details.

keep at it
cheers
Ilse

Thanks we will, and thanks to everyone to have replied. The information has been first class.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

hey sats,
work depends how high your wifes expectations are. If she needs to work in a fancy boutique..yeah.. Brandon or Wpg would be the thing. Any retail? I would think that would be doable out here as well (check out Russell, MB, our neighbor town, they have maybe better retail job options...we do have the nicer nature)

or check out (and hand it over to the wife) www.gonescrappin.ca , a very neat store in our town.

cheers
Ilse
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manitobain
hey sats,
work depends how high your wifes expectations are. If she needs to work in a fancy boutique..yeah.. Brandon or Wpg would be the thing. Any retail? I would think that would be doable out here as well (check out Russell, MB, our neighbor town, they have maybe better retail job options...we do have the nicer nature)

or check out (and hand it over to the wife) www.gonescrappin.ca , a very neat store in our town.

cheers
Ilse
Thanks for the reply Ilse, her expectations aren't high at all. If we were to be accepted and supported by a community, and we were offered employment in whatever line of work, I think we'd be more grateful than anything else. The wife would have no hesitation at all in working in the type of shop you linked to, in fact she would love an opportunity to work there.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:12 am
Just Joined

alexx.bg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also interested in that Strategic Initiative. Do you know who should I contact to arrange exploratory visit? [email protected]-Is that the email I should contact?
Thanks

Last edited by alexx.bg; Jun 9th 2011 at 2:14 am.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexx.bg
I am also interested in that Strategic Initiative. Do you know who should I contact to arrange exploratory visit? [email protected]-Is that the email I should contact?
Thanks
Yes, that address should be good.
Unless they have changed the system you should get a reply within a couple of weeks.
Good luck
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Yes, as GC44 says, that is the correct email address. We applied approx two weeks ago, and we have re-applied just last week for the Berlin event. No email response as yet but we live in hope. Good luck. Keep me posted. Linda.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
Yes, as GC44 says, that is the correct email address. We applied approx two weeks ago, and we have re-applied just last week for the Berlin event. No email response as yet but we live in hope. Good luck. Keep me posted. Linda.
I just received an answer to my email from the Immigration Manitoba:
"Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events.

Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams.
"
So, I guess we should wait for something to come up again Good luck!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexx.bg
I just received an answer to my email from the Immigration Manitoba:
"Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events.

Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams.
"
So, I guess we should wait for something to come up again Good luck!
Hi there,

Did you make it clear to Manitoba Immigration that you are interested in the Strategic Initiative Programme?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Hi,
When did you send your email? We send our email two weeks ago and haven't had any response.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
Hi,
When did you send your email? We send our email two weeks ago and haven't had any response.

Thanks.
I sent them email once with my resume to ask them do I have any chances. The replied to me with standard email explaining me about the possibilities to immigrate in Manitoba.
Then I sent them another email 2-3 days ago to ask them particularly about that Strategic Initiative...and that was their answer.
Alex
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sigh...it doesnt work like that...
(what bugs me though is that they say there is no initiative, yet the making advertising for berlin)

If you plan on the strategic stream, you have to send a complete letter with all info in regards to you education/experience, funds, and especially connections to Manitoba, your proof of research and why you think you would be a great candidate for MB (all that besides the resume) . You then ask for permission for an exploratory visit and interview with MPNP officer at the end. You have to show them that you are knowledgable about the programs and the options in MB and in the best case scenario, you created already some contacts in a region.
If you go and ask them if you have a chance, thats not showing that you did any research..otherwise you would know to some degree and believe you do have a chance.
Via this stream they select in some way the capable ppl, who don't need to be hand-held, show them you are one of them?

Not sure about that whole Berlin thing though, I haven't heard from one who has heard from them yet (might try to find out something more on Monday about it).
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

hi everyone,

As has been said above I am one of the applicants for the Berlin initiative but I haven't had a reply yet. I sent an email with both hubby's and my resumes, scanned in references, scanned in copies of educational parchments, etc. I also told them all about what I knew on Manitoba and where I have already visited in Manitoba, etc. I also told them I have a few good friends out there who would be willing to help us to integrate and make the transition. I felt my email was ticking all the boxes to at least get some kind of response but to date nothing. Not even to say that they had received it. The only thing is though maybe no news is good news (I hope).

In meantime we are waiting for a 2nd LMO for my husband so hoping that one or other will happen soon

Good luck with your endeavours to get to Manitoba. Its certainly not proving as easy as we first thought when we set out on this road almost a year ago now. (trying to obtain interviews, etc.).

Keep me posted if anyone manages to hear anything back on Berlin and I will do that also.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

mnp305 is an unknown quantity at this point

In March this year, I expressed my interest in the MNP strategic program. About 2 weeks later, they emailed me to send my resume and copies of diplomas. A week later, they emailed me some questions to explain why you are interested in Manitoba and how you can adapt to it, so on so forth. I responded it. Now nothing happened yet for two months. I am not sure what is their processing protocol, time line, and what will happen next for me. Any inputs? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.