Manitoba PNP

Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

malkovich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manitoba PNP

Hello,

I was wondering if any Manitobans or Canadian immigration wizards generally could offer some clarification about Manitoba's Provincial Nominee Programme.

I've read and compared every province's programme and theirs seems to be the most "generous". Specifically, this page here:

http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/how-to-immigrate/tfw/

...seems to suggest that so long as you can get any full-time, permanent job in the province, keep it for 6 months, and you're appropriately qualified for the position and have good English, you can apply for PR.

I was thinking: what's the catch? (I'll just pre-empt any B.C. wags saying "you have to live in Manitoba")

I emailed the Manitoba immigration people through their contact form to basically ask "what's the catch?" but in a more diplomatic way that we serious adult types call "clarifying the eligibility criteria" but...that was nearly two weeks ago and they're giving me the silent treatment.

Then I found this article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-manitoba.html

...and I thought "hmmm". If you must have that as a smilie, it was probably something like this: mixed with a little of this

The crux of that is that, apparently, they're relocating the administration of the Manitoba PNP to Calgary and Jason Kenney wants to "bring them in line" with the other programmes. Dunno what this bringing in line entails...but does he mean standardise the eligibility criteria across the board, so that no one province is more "generous" than any other? And if so, doesn't that kind of defeat the object of provincial programmes tailored to each province's individual immigration needs?

Bit of a teaser. Anyway, that article was April last year, and they billed the changes as being due "a year from now" so maybe the reason Manitoba haven't replied to me is that they're busy packing up their desks, putting photos of their kids and unopened packs of Stabilo BOSS hilighters into cardboard boxes. Incidentally, their website is also the most lo-fi of all the provinces' - looks like it was lovingly designed in 2001 and carefully un-maintained since - so maybe there hasn't been anyone on the end of that contact form for years.

Anyway...I'm wondering because I was thinking of parachuting, or perhaps more conventionally arriving into Winnipeg later in the year, looking for a job, and if I got one, after 6 months maybe applying for PR. It would be a bit of a....bummer, as I believe the young ones say nowadays....to no sooner have lodged that application than they turn round and say (or if they're already facing in my direction, just say) "sorry chump, rules just changed - this is Calgary's beat now, and you know what Calgary don't like? YOU. That's right, it's now three years in a job before you can apply for PR, and you have to be a fully qualified Industrial Hydro-Mastodonic Sea Lion Repair Geneticist with published research and fluent Hungarian. Thems the breaks..."

In other words....am I reading their site right and is it going to stay the way it is? I know no one has a crystal ball and I know immigration policy is a fluctuating thing and people get stressed and people get disappointed and that's life but...maybe someone knows a little more about the Manitoba situation than I do?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manitoba PNP

Hi

Originally Posted by malkovich
Hello,

I was wondering if any Manitobans or Canadian immigration wizards generally could offer some clarification about Manitoba's Provincial Nominee Programme.

I've read and compared every province's programme and theirs seems to be the most "generous". Specifically, this page here:

...seems to suggest that so long as you can get any full-time, permanent job in the province, keep it for 6 months, and you're appropriately qualified for the position and have good English, you can apply for PR.

I was thinking: what's the catch? (I'll just pre-empt any B.C. wags saying "you have to live in Manitoba")

I emailed the Manitoba immigration people through their contact form to basically ask "what's the catch?" but in a more diplomatic way that we serious adult types call "clarifying the eligibility criteria" but...that was nearly two weeks ago and they're giving me the silent treatment.

...and I thought "hmmm". If you must have that as a smilie, it was probably something like this: mixed with a little of this

The crux of that is that, apparently, they're relocating the administration of the Manitoba PNP to Calgary and Jason Kenney wants to "bring them in line" with the other programmes. Dunno what this bringing in line entails...but does he mean standardise the eligibility criteria across the board, so that no one province is more "generous" than any other? And if so, doesn't that kind of defeat the object of provincial programmes tailored to each province's individual immigration needs?

Bit of a teaser. Anyway, that article was April last year, and they billed the changes as being due "a year from now" so maybe the reason Manitoba haven't replied to me is that they're busy packing up their desks, putting photos of their kids and unopened packs of Stabilo BOSS hilighters into cardboard boxes. Incidentally, their website is also the most lo-fi of all the provinces' - looks like it was lovingly designed in 2001 and carefully un-maintained since - so maybe there hasn't been anyone on the end of that contact form for years.

Anyway...I'm wondering because I was thinking of parachuting, or perhaps more conventionally arriving into Winnipeg later in the year, looking for a job, and if I got one, after 6 months maybe applying for PR. It would be a bit of a....bummer, as I believe the young ones say nowadays....to no sooner have lodged that application than they turn round and say (or if they're already facing in my direction, just say) "sorry chump, rules just changed - this is Calgary's beat now, and you know what Calgary don't like? YOU. That's right, it's now three years in a job before you can apply for PR, and you have to be a fully qualified Industrial Hydro-Mastodonic Sea Lion Repair Geneticist with published research and fluent Hungarian. Thems the breaks..."

In other words....am I reading their site right and is it going to stay the way it is? I know no one has a crystal ball and I know immigration policy is a fluctuating thing and people get stressed and people get disappointed and that's life but...maybe someone knows a little more about the Manitoba situation than I do?
1. It is the Federal Regional Immigration office that was proposed to move from Winnipeg to Calgary, not the Manitoba Provincial Nomination office.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

what will change starting April 1 is the settlement funding..and yes, the federal office move...nothing to affect the actual PNP.

So, yes, if you can find employment and an employer who will apply for an LMO for you and it will be positive, you can get a WP ..start working and after 6 month apply to the PNP. First half of the sentence is the tricky one though.

If you are in the right age category and the right country, I strongly suggest IEC.
You should also prepare for an IELTS test.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:01 am
Just Joined

malkovich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hearty thanks to both of you for your informative responses, I appreciate it.

PMM - my reading in the archives here and thereabouts leaves no doubt as to your exemplary credentials on these matters, so I thank you for your time and consider myself reassured. I hope it wasn't altogether dumb of me to construe the article in the manner I did. "Without funding from that [shared settlement services] agreement, the province's highly-successful Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is dead, he [Greg Selinger] said" sounded a tad ominous. And although Mr. Kenney goes on to deny any such funding cuts will happen, it was his subsequent statements: "This change means that the Government of Canada is … bringing these programs in line with every other province and territory outside Quebec", and "the programs will be controlled by the federal government." that concerned me - but I see now that "the programs" he was referring to were the settlement programmes rather than the provincial nominee programmes themselves. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

manitobain - I qualify for IEC actually so that's what I'm looking at. I have one eye on that borderline maniacal/paranoid thread on this year's application process, where everyone is slowly succumbing to hysteria and getting ready to resort to cannibalism/looting/pacts with Satan in order to get a visa.

Do you know if an LMO would still be necessary for Manitoba PNP, eventually, if one were to go the IEC route? Or is it just required for the TWP if that's the only means you have to get over there in the first place? It doesn't mention anything about an LMO on the eligibility criteria I linked to, and that was the subject of one of the questions I put to them in my email but they haven't responded yet.

Thanks for your kind help.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

PMM - my reading in the archives here and thereabouts leaves no doubt as to your exemplary credentials on these matters, so I thank you for your time and consider myself reassured. I hope it wasn't altogether dumb of me to construe the article in the manner I did. "Without funding from that [shared settlement services] agreement, the province's highly-successful Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is dead, he [Greg Selinger] said" sounded a tad ominous. And although Mr. Kenney goes on to deny any such funding cuts will happen, it was his subsequent statements: "This change means that the Government of Canada is … bringing these programs in line with every other province and territory outside Quebec", and "the programs will be controlled by the federal government." that concerned me - but I see now that "the programs" he was referring to were the settlement programmes rather than the provincial nominee programmes themselves. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

manitobain - I qualify for IEC actually so that's what I'm looking at. I have one eye on that borderline maniacal/paranoid thread on this year's application process, where everyone is slowly succumbing to hysteria and getting ready to resort to cannibalism/looting/pacts with Satan in order to get a visa.

Do you know if an LMO would still be necessary for Manitoba PNP, eventually, if one were to go the IEC route? Or is it just required for the TWP if that's the only means you have to get over there in the first place? It doesn't mention anything about an LMO on the eligibility criteria I linked to, and that was the subject of one of the questions I put to them in my email but they haven't responded yet.

The IEC experience could lead to be being able to apply under the Federal Canadian Experience Class for PR. As it stands the IEC doesnt qualify under the Manitoba PNP as one of the ways i.e skilled worker, strategic initiative
international student graduate or the EV and recruitment mission under the strategic initiative so at the moment after the IEC you would still need an LMO.
Bear in mind the CEC route opens up all of Canada. The IEC also allows work anywhere in Canada so you may change your mind about Manitoba unless your heart is set on that province.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:43 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No, it wasn't dumb, far from it. What actually appeared to be happening was that CIC was giving it Manitoba settlement funding which is for the settlement of Immigrants, and refugees, language training (LINC). It appears that Manitoba was directing the funds to funding it's PNP program office rather than using it for the original intentions.

CIC has been downsizing drastically. For example, BC/YT region went from
8 offices to 1. 6 offices of those offices with citizenship services to 2, both in the lower mainland. Overall about 22 Immigration offices were closed in Canada.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The IEC experience could lead to be being able to apply under the Federal Canadian Experience Class for PR. As it stands the IEC doesnt qualify under the Manitoba PNP as one of the ways i.e skilled worker, strategic initiative
international student graduate or the EV and recruitment mission under the strategic initiative so at the moment after the IEC you would still need an LMO.
Bear in mind the CEC route opens up all of Canada. The IEC also allows work anywhere in Canada so you may change your mind about Manitoba unless your heart is set on that province.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
CEC after one year work if in skilled profession should be possible ..right.

BUT, FL..you are wrong on the MPNP info. After you have worked for 6 month with the employer, who then offers you continued f/t work, you are elegible for the employer direct stream of MPNP. This work doesn't necessarly need to be skilled. Tried and tested way (although nothing is 100 %, as rules are always subject to change)

So, to answer the other question: Once you are Provincial Nominee, you do not need an LMO anymore, you can ask for a letter of support from the PNP instead, which replaces the LMO when you apply for a "regular" WP after your IEC (which you will need, as PNP-PR won't be fast enough)

lol and yeah.. the UK is very stressed about IEC...I follow the thread too and had a VERY happy and excited call yesterday from someone, when the German one opened ...they must declare with opening of a compass account the visa taken...otherwise doesn't make sense.

btw..don't think MPNP answers much general inquiries..they only have limited ppl and it would take too much time out of it ..they are very good though, once you are in the process. Hence that is what we are here for?

Last edited by manitobain; Feb 8th 2013 at 6:13 am. Reason: forgot something
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manitobain
CEC after one year work if in skilled profession should be possible ..right.

BUT, FL..you are wrong on the MPNP info. After you have worked for 6 month with the employer, who then offers you continued f/t work, you are elegible for the employer direct stream of MPNP. This work doesn't necessarly need to be skilled. Tried and tested way (although nothing is 100 %, as rules are always subject to change)

So, to answer the other question: Once you are Provincial Nominee, you do not need an LMO anymore, you can ask for a letter of support from the PNP instead, which replaces the LMO when you apply for a "regular" WP after your IEC (which you will need, as PNP-PR won't be fast enough)

lol and yeah.. the UK is very stressed about IEC...I follow the thread too and had a VERY happy and excited call yesterday from someone, when the German one opened ...they must declare with opening of a compass account the visa taken...otherwise doesn't make sense.
Ah but the getting the PNP nominee is the trick is what I was alluding to.
How does he get 6 months with an employer without an LMO? and not nominated by the Province?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah but the getting the PNP nominee is the trick is what I was alluding to.
How does he get 6 months with an employer without an LMO? and not nominated by the Province?
errr... with the IEC ?? that's the whole point...no?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

errr... with the IEC ?? that's the whole point...no?
I stand corrected having found this bit
If you have been working in Manitoba continuously for at least six months and your employer offers you a permanent job, you can get your Canadian permanent resident visa with priority processing by applying to the MPNP.

All occupations are eligible.

Manitoba recognizes the essential role business plays in helping New Manitobans establish and that immigrant skilled workers can make a valuable contribution to the labour market and economy.

For some reason I was thinking that the IEC was a programme seperate from the normal temporary worker programme so thereby not eligible.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I stand corrected having found this bit
If you have been working in Manitoba continuously for at least six months and your employer offers you a permanent job, you can get your Canadian permanent resident visa with priority processing by applying to the MPNP.

All occupations are eligible.

Manitoba recognizes the essential role business plays in helping New Manitobans establish and that immigrant skilled workers can make a valuable contribution to the labour market and economy.

*nods and agrees* ...what I was saying

For some reason I was thinking that the IEC was a programme seperate from the normal temporary worker programme so thereby not eligible.
yes, it is different (as in...you can't extend it and you apply at a different spot..) ...but it is not that different that it wouldn't count towards the work experience
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, it is different (as in...you can't extend it and you apply at a different spot..) ...but it is not that different that it wouldn't count towards the work experience
Maybe the PNP people should highlight this on their webpage.
IEC workers eligible for Manitoba PNP after 6 months experience with a Manitoba employer or something.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe the PNP people should highlight this on their webpage.
IEC workers eligible for Manitoba PNP after 6 months experience with a Manitoba employer or something.
I am guessing that they don't do that, as it could open another flood of possible ppl not caring about MB, just looking for an easy way in.
So it's for those who dig and find out..or for those who come to MB to work within their IEC year and find they want to stay and dig then.. .. but just my theory..
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am guessing that they don't do that, as it could open another flood of possible ppl not caring about MB, just looking for an easy way in.
So it's for those who dig and find out..or for those who come to MB to work within their IEC year and find they want to stay and dig then.. .. but just my theory..
I can see it from any Provinces POV that they dont want people using it as a way to get PR status then naffing off to another Province as plenty have done. Even the CIC website doesnt exactly highlight it either.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

I can see it from any Provinces POV that they dont want people using it as a way to get PR status then naffing off to another Province as plenty have done. Even the CIC website doesnt exactly highlight it either.
Exactly.. but then...to those who find out and ask questions about it and are interested in the Province.. go for it
CIC probably don't mentions it, because every province is different, hence no general sentence about it possible...