Man, what a depressing process!

Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:57 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Man, what a depressing process!

Hi All,

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I've just returned from a BUNAC year in Toronto working ironically enough for the Government and I'm coming to the point of applying for PR. I had lived with my girlfriend for the whole time I was in Toronto, but in her parents house. I am also hoping to have a job offer confirmed by HRDC before I apply for PR, how hard is this endorsement to get?

My questions are:
Will my relationship with my G/Friend still count as common law (together for two and a half years)

Will they be as bothered about checking since she is not sponsoring me?

Can I switch jobs or will my Visa bind me to my employer for a length of time?

Will the fact I worked for the Government look favourable on my application?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Geo.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:47 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice
Default Re: Man, what a depressing process!

If I understand you correctly you are planning to apply as a skilled worker. Is there some reason why you are not exploring the possibility of your girl-friend sponsoring you? This route would be a lot quicker. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think under family class the process will take about 8 or 9 months. The skilled worker route will take a lot longer, reportedly up to 38 months through the London office.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:16 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzRob
If I understand you correctly you are planning to apply as a skilled worker. Is there some reason why you are not exploring the possibility of your girl-friend sponsoring you? This route would be a lot quicker. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think under family class the process will take about 8 or 9 months. The skilled worker route will take a lot longer, reportedly up to 38 months through the London office.
You are correct Rob but he might have trouble proving the relationship.

geo4 If you have ANY evidence of your relationship (ie Bank statement from joint account, rent agreement in both names etc etc) keep it for your application, this is everything since you have been together.
hth
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:08 am
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andy_sheila

geo4 If you have ANY evidence of your relationship (ie Bank statement from joint account, rent agreement in both names etc etc) keep it for your application, this is everything since you have been together.
hth
It would certainly make more sense to apply through the spousal sponsorship route if possible.

I guess the question is whether his girlfriend is willing to sponsor him. She has to not only say that they were living in a common-law relationship but she also has to take on responsibility for supporting him if necessary. If something goes wrong and the relationship breaks down, she is still on the hook for him financially.

All depends on how serious the relationship is I suppose.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:13 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

hth
Exactly, we have no joint accounts etc.

Sponsorship is out of the question. I meet the minimum requirements by myself, but obviously want her shown on the application, since we are a legitimate couple. If I put her down as common law, even though she is not sponsoring me, will this potentially hold up my application in any way? Should I just put the job offer down?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:07 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Exactly, we have no joint accounts etc.

Sponsorship is out of the question. I meet the minimum requirements by myself, but obviously want her shown on the application, since we are a legitimate couple. If I put her down as common law, even though she is not sponsoring me, will this potentially hold up my application in any way? Should I just put the job offer down?
I'm not 100% sure but you should just add her as other member of family and add a covering letter stating that she has not sponsored you as you have no documentary proof of the relationship. This should stop them asking why.

Back to sponsorship, you could get sworn letters from her parents and anyone else who knew you were in a relationship, i don't know if that would be enough though. You need the expert advice from one of the experts on here, and/or from an immigration consultant
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:06 pm
Swollen Member

I'm not 100% sure but you should just add her as other member of family and add a covering letter stating that she has not sponsored you as you have no documentary proof of the relationship. This should stop them asking why.

Back to sponsorship, you could get sworn letters from her parents and anyone else who knew you were in a relationship, i don't know if that would be enough though. You need the expert advice from one of the experts on here, and/or from an immigration consultant
Thanks so much.