Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Making 1 year work visa more permenant

Making 1 year work visa more permenant

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

d20awy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making 1 year work visa more permenant

Know this has been asked a few times but can't find anything specific to my situation....

Moved to BC recently with my boyfriend on 1 year Bunac visas. Both chartered accountants, currently job hunting. When talking with recruiters 1 year mat cover/contact jobs come up however as we have been here nearly 3 weeks already that would take us over the visa limit. Heard a rumour you can nip to the border if you have a job and extend - or is that absolute tosh?

Ideally in all honesty we want to stay for 2-3 of years. Should we apply for permanent residency ASAP? Or hold out in the hope one of us will get an LMO and then can sponsor the other one - we have lived together for 8 months now so that means we'd be eligible for the 'common law' thingy?

Am I right in assuming we can apply for PR without a job as we are skilled workers?

Know it's early days in Canada, but when trying to explain visa status to potential employers I want to be informed - especially as the 1st question is usually 'soooo how long are you going to stay?'!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making 1 year work visa more permenant

Originally Posted by d20awy
Heard a rumour you can nip to the border if you have a job and extend - or is that absolute tosh?
It's absolute tosh! You can't extend a Bunac visa. Shame you entered Canada on it, you could have entered on a visitor visa and then only activated your Bunac visa when you'd found a job to maximise your time. No good to you now I realise, but thought I'd mention it for any other potential Bunacer's reading.

Ideally in all honesty we want to stay for 2-3 of years. Should we apply for permanent residency ASAP? Or hold out in the hope one of us will get an LMO and then can sponsor the other one - we have lived together for 8 months now so that means we'd be eligible for the 'common law' thingy?
You're not eligible for the 'common law thingy' if you've only lived together for 8 months. To be classed as common-law spouses you have to have lived together for at least a year. Which means that you can't go on one visa application for another four months unfortunately.

Am I right in assuming we can apply for PR without a job as we are skilled workers?
No idea without knowing all of your details, but accountants are certainly on the list of 38 occupations in demand that are eligible as Skilled Workers. So if you have at least one year's full-time work experience as an accountant, get at least 67 points on the self assessment test, have proof of funds, pass the medical etc, then you would be eligible to apply.

If I were you, and you're sure you want to stay, then personally I'd apply as FSW as soon as poss if you can. That way you've got a quick and easy route to PR, rather than trying to get an employer to apply for a LMO and then having to upgrade to PR at a later date. The downside is that if you want to go on one application you'll have to wait another four months until you've lived together for a year, but if you do that you'd still have around 7 months left on Bunac so it's possible that you'd have PR before it expires. You just must make sure that you are as prompt as you can be with everything i.e. when your documents are requested, have them all ready to send the same day, the same with your medical etc, to reduce the processing time as much as possible.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's absolute tosh! You can't extend a Bunac visa. Shame you entered Canada on it, you could have entered on a visitor visa and then only activated your Bunac visa when you'd found a job to maximise your time. No good to you now I realise, but thought I'd mention it for any other potential Bunacer's reading.
Sorry to jump in on the thread . I'm glad you posted this because I've been wondering how to legitimately maximise the use of the BUNAC visa that I'll apply for this December. My biggest fear would be activating it on entry and then not finding work for that first month which could be entirely possible.

So this is totally legit... you're allowed to look for a job on a tourist visa and then activate your BUNAC visa when ready to start the job, and would customs not give hassle about why I'd enter on a tourist visa rather than the WHP?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

d20awy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the reply, seems like we will give it a few months and see what happens on he job front then apply for PR if no LMO.

To the poster above I think it is fine to enter as a visitor, you just do it the normal way as if you were on holiday and then when you want to work just have to cross the border to US and re enter Canada. This is pretty easy as somehing like 90% of the Canadian population live in 100 miles of the US border!

In hindsight we should have done this but now we want to stay longer anyway so not such a big deal. Good luck!