British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Maintaining your residency... how do you prove you lived with a now ex partner...?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/maintaining-your-residency-how-do-you-prove-you-lived-now-ex-partner-750029/)

Frozenrose Feb 28th 2012 6:53 pm

Maintaining your residency... how do you prove you lived with a now ex partner...??

Hello all!

I have a brilliant question. I am trying to tally up my residency days and I am aware that I can count days spent out of the country if I was living with a Canadian partner. Luckily for me, I was. Unluckily for me, we are no longer together and not really on speaking terms... at all. So I a trying to gather evidence that can prove that once upon a time, our life together was so great that he moved to the UK (which he did, for three months while I had my residency) So... evidence I have, include, but not necessarily limited to: flights in and (hopefully - but havent found it yet) out of the country, photographs, email communication, a phone bill (under my name, but we had a joint account), the fact that he flew my cat in with him, and not much else. I know he is still on the electoral role at my old house but am not sure how or what I can do with this info. I also have some insurance documents that registered in his name at my address here. It is unlikely I can get him to write a letter to support all this - but my question is - is this enough proof that we lived together for 3 months? Yelp?

Jim Humphries Feb 28th 2012 7:25 pm

Re: Maintaining your residency... how do you prove you lived with a now ex partner...

Have you been working here? I assume your query is about citizenship.

Frozenrose Feb 28th 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Maintaining your residency... how do you prove you lived with a now ex partner...

Hi Jim,
My question is actually with regards to maintaining my 2 out of every 5 years for residency purposes. Just as I got my residency I had given up hope (of ever getting it) and moved back to the UK with the bf in question and started my MA in the UK. I have been here and worked after that and for one reason or other I am not running against the 3 year deadline (in terms of going back and putting in my two years) - this wont be a problem as I am starting my phd for 5 years in edmonton and do not plan to move back to the uk (and would like to get my citizenship in due course) , but I would like to come home to visit within the next few years ( a month in the summer say) and I need to be able to use these three months which I accrued with my ex partner in order to do this... does this make sense? I need to retain my residency requirements, I have flight documents for when I have travelled but my question pertains to how do I prove I lived with my now ex?

Frozenrose Feb 28th 2012 10:13 pm

I should add - how do I prove we were common law as this would be what I would be arguing as we were living together... I have no documentation for the prior year though, only documentation [as listed] which states that we were living together, with a bill for both of us in my name.

Jim Humphries Feb 29th 2012 2:04 pm

If you have your PR status then proving common law is not needed. You need only show that you have complied with the residency requirements to retain your status.

Rixy Feb 29th 2012 10:40 pm

Jim is right just keep up your residency obligations and you'll be fine.
There's plenty of people on a PR who have split up with ex's and gone on to citizenship fine.

If they do question it, there's always the excuse of leaving because of emotional abuse which CIC recognize.

christmasoompa Mar 1st 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries (Post 9927526)
If you have your PR status then proving common law is not needed. You need only show that you have complied with the residency requirements to retain your status.

Originally Posted by Rixy (Post 9928416)
Jim is right just keep up your residency obligations and you'll be fine.
There's plenty of people on a PR who have split up with ex's and gone on to citizenship fine.

If they do question it, there's always the excuse of leaving because of emotional abuse which CIC recognize.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP is asking about how to prove the time spent in the UK with her ex because she *will* need it to meet her residency obligations. Could be wrong, but that was my take on it. And I'm afraid I have no idea how she can do that, other than if needed to submit what evidence she has and hope for the best.

Frozenrose Mar 1st 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9928944)
Unless I'm mistaken, the OP is asking about how to prove the time spent in the UK with her ex because she *will* need it to meet her residency obligations. Could be wrong, but that was my take on it. And I'm afraid I have no idea how she can do that, other than if needed to submit what evidence she has and hope for the best.

Hi - yes, this is correct - I was wondering what is required to prove you are living with a canadian outside the UK to fulfill your residency requirements. I cannot contact the ex to request a letter to support our relationship but I have proof that he was here as listed above. My question is - is the evidence I have enough

Siouxie Mar 3rd 2012 1:34 am

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf page 22 should give you an idea of documentation that may be helpful. It refers to humanitarian grounds (for retaining PR) but does list some of the things they 'look' for for proof of co-habitation with a Citizen abroad.

Hope that helps a little.

:)

Edit: For some reason that link may not work. If it doesn't, go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf/index.asp and click on ENF23 (Loss of Permanent Residence)

Frozenrose Mar 3rd 2012 11:05 am

Apologies for the bump - Thank you for this info - it is most helpful. Best wishes!