Maintaining PR - Mr. Miller

Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Kash100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintaining PR - Mr. Miller

Dear Mr. Miller, can a new Canadian PR maintain his/her PR status if s/he joins say a Ph.D. program at a Canadian university? In other words, one doesn't have to be employed to maintain one's PR status, right? Moreover, the time spent in Canada in this manner will be counted towards one's citizenship as well, right?

Thanks.

Kash100
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:43 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintaining PR - Mr. Miller

Hi Kash

Originally posted by Kash100
Dear Mr. Miller, can a new Canadian PR maintain his/her PR status if s/he joins say a Ph.D. program at a Canadian university? In other words, one doesn't have to be employed to maintain one's PR status, right? Moreover, the time spent in Canada in this manner will be counted towards one's citizenship as well, right?

Thanks.

Kash100
As long as you are in Canada (there are other ways to maintain if you are outside) you maintain your PR. Yes it counts towards citizenship.

PMM
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:46 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

One doesn't have to do anything in Canada as long as one is physically residing here for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5 years period in order to maintain PR status.

But it won't be enough for citizenship though. In order to be eligible to apply for citizenship a PR must accumulate 1,095 days of residency in Canada within 4 years immediately preceding citizenship application. No need to work or study - just be here.

Thanks.

Kash100
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Kash100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much both PMM and Mr. Miller.

One more follow-up question. If I transfer all my wealth to Canada and do my Ph.D. (or nothing), can I sponsor my mother (who is in India, 63 years in age and dependent on me)? Or, I have to have a monthly income (other than interest) to sponsor someone?

Thanks.

Kash100

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
One doesn't have to do anything in Canada as long as one is physically residing here for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5 years period in order to maintain PR status.

But it won't be enough for citizenship though. In order to be eligible to apply for citizenship a PR must accumulate 1,095 days of residency in Canada within 4 years immediately preceding citizenship application. No need to work or study - just be here.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:34 am

"transfer of all your wealth" to Canada won't help. In order to be eligible to sponsor your parent you must not only live permanently in Canada but also earn here after becoming a PR the minimum required income within 12 months preceding sponsorship application. Amount of your savings is irrelevant. You must earn income in Canada.

Thank you very much both PMM and Mr. Miller.

One more follow-up question. If I transfer all my wealth to Canada and do my Ph.D. (or nothing), can I sponsor my mother (who is in India, 63 years in age and dependent on me)? Or, I have to have a monthly income (other than interest) to sponsor someone?

Thanks.

Kash100
Old Jun 16th 2004, 4:55 am
Just Joined

iou1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, what if I'm employed by a global consulting firm in the US, earning in US$ but getting my every paycheck deposited in a Canadian bank, living in Canada and paying taxes but traveling to the US frequently on the job? I know time away from Canada wont be counted towards citizenship, but do I qualify as someone who can sponsor someone?

Iou1

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
"transfer of all your wealth" to Canada won't help. In order to be eligible to sponsor your parent you must not only live permanently in Canada but also earn here after becoming a PR the minimum required income within 12 months preceding sponsorship application. Amount of your savings is irrelevant. You must earn income in Canada.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:06 am

Such income can be counted only if you live in Canada, commute every day to work to US and return for every night back to Canada. Or telecommuting and travelling from time to time for few days to US (but not when spending week or weeks at a time in US and coming back to Canada for sporadic weekends only). You must be able to prove it.

Originally posted by iou1
Okay, what if I'm employed by a global consulting firm in the US, earning in US$ but getting my every paycheck deposited in a Canadian bank, living in Canada and paying taxes but traveling to the US frequently on the job? I know time away from Canada wont be counted towards citizenship, but do I qualify as someone who can sponsor someone?

Iou1