Maintaining PR

Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maintaining PR

I'm hoping someone can clarify some details regarding PR for me. After PR is granted, and you reside in Canada for the minimum criteria i.e. 2 years out of 5. Is the PR status now everlasting and unable to be taken away/lost, even if you moved away from the country and ceased to reside there?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintaining PR

Originally Posted by Statham2016
I'm hoping someone can clarify some details regarding PR for me. After PR is granted, and you reside in Canada for the minimum criteria i.e. 2 years out of 5. Is the PR status now everlasting and unable to be taken away/lost, even if you moved away from the country and ceased to reside there?
It's a continuous 2 yr out of a 5 yr period. This thread explains it well: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/pr-expires-when-abroad-889370/#post12139120
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It's a continuous 2 yr out of a 5 yr period. This thread explains it well: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/pr-expires-when-abroad-889370/#post12139120
Sorry I cant seem to open your link. My understanding to maintain PR, you have to accrue 2 yrs out of a 5.
You can leave (for vacations etc).

But my search for clarification is in regards to the actual conclusion of meeting this criteria.

For example. Lets say I have stayed, continuous or not, in canada� for the past 2-3 years. As such, I have now met the standards.
Could I now leave/move away and this PR status be valid forever? Or does the PR expire in some way and you must keep returning to live in canada to maintain it? Hope that makes sense.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I can not open your link. I understand it's a 2 yr period out of 5. Once that criteria is met - lets say ive stayed for the full 5 years. Will my PR status be everlasting, even if I leave and never return? Hope that makes sense
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:04 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can not open your link. I understand it's a 2 yr period out of 5. Once that criteria is met - lets say ive stayed for the full 5 years. Will my PR status be everlasting, even if I leave and never return? Hope that makes sense
It makes perfect sense - and no, PR isn't for ever after that point. To maintain your PR status the 2 years out of any 5 years criteria remains. You have to live in Canada at least 2 out of ANY 5 year period.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It makes perfect sense - and no, PR isn't for ever after that point. To maintain your PR status the 2 years out of any 5 years criteria remains. You have to live in Canada at least 2 out of ANY 5 year period.
Ah ok, so it's a never ending loop of 2yrs out of 5 so to speak. So if I left after 2yrs, stayed away for 3. Does the 'new' 5yr period begin following that 3?

Last edited by Statham2016; Dec 30th 2016 at 8:21 am.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

PR is everlasting UNTIL you don't meet the residency requirement and are reported for it and it is then taken away. You could live outside Canada for 20 years and its still valid until you tried to enter Canada and thats when you would be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation every rolling 5 years.

In other words maintain the residency obligation unless exempt from doing so.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
PR is everlasting UNTIL you don't meet the residency requirement and are reported for it and it is then taken away. You could live outside Canada for 20 years and its still valid until you tried to enter Canada and thats when you would be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation every rolling 5 years.

In other words maintain the residency obligation unless exempt from doing so.
That's the term I was looking for. "Every rolling 5 years". I could not seem to find any official confirmafion on the cic website. Thanks mate
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:06 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

That's the term I was looking for. "Every rolling 5 years". I could not seem to find any official confirmafion on the cic website. Thanks mate
The logical thing to do would be to become a citizen as soon as you're eligible. That way you no longer have to meet any 2 years out of 5 conditions.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The logical thing to do would be to become a citizen as soon as you're eligible. That way you no longer have to meet any 2 years out of 5 conditions.
My thoughts exactly. Ive still to dive into the research of that. Pretty sure it will have changed since the last time I looked.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:54 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear, you must meet the two years physical presence requirement in every conceivable 5 year period. The five year period from the date you became a permanent resident, the five year period starting the day after that, the five year period starting the day after that as well, the five year period that started on, say, May 5, 2016, the five year period that started started August 23, 2017. If fact, every single five year period you can think of.