Maintaining PR

Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

zachary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintaining PR

One question here. Since we need to stay 2 years out of every 5 years in Canada in order to maintain our PR. Am I right to say that I can actually stay 2 years in Canada then I stay 6 years out of Canada then I come back in the last 2 years? Hope somebody can help!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:25 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maintaining PR

No, you cannot.

5 years is a rolling period - it starts the day you land as a PR in Canada and then after the 5th anniversary of landing it moves every day by a day. After 5th anniversary of landing you must be able to prove at any given day that you were in Canada for at least 730 days within 5 years immediately preceding the day of counting.

And of course simply meeting your residency obligations to maintain PR status will not be enough to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 12th 2007 at 11:28 am.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:00 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If you're planning on not being in Canada for 6 years after applying, then I have to ask why are you applying for PR in Canada? Don't you think the place would be better off going to someone who wants to live in Canada?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
If you're planning on not being in Canada for 6 years after applying, then I have to ask why are you applying for PR in Canada? Don't you think the place would be better off going to someone who wants to live in Canada?
I agree. There seems to be a lot of people who apply for PR but do not intend to settle permanently in Canada. This is NOT fair on those who really want to settle in Canada and have to wait for years. This seems to be a particular problem with people moving from the US.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:55 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not all applying from US who fit this pattern. American nationals and US Green Card holders do really move to Canada after getting their PR. It is foreign students and workers who want to remain in US as their primary choice and majority of them apply for Canadian PR only as a safety net in case they cannot get Green Card, some to cheat and either try to sponsor their parents to Canada (as they cannot to US) while living in US and/or to get Canadian passport as soon as they can without any intention of making Canada home. You can find a lot of posts here from those who state that they just applied for citizenship but for "serious reasons" cannot wait in Canada for the conclusion of their application.

It is a wide spread problem, but for some strange reason government hopes that they will come to Canada for good sooner or later. Maybe some will, but likely only after they are kicked out of US or if they lose job in US and with it health insurance and will come to Canada to get free (or inexpensive compared to US) health insurance.

Time to wake up CIC and face the reality. Million+ applicants with real intention to live permanently in Canada are waiting longer and longer. Including Buffalo in Simplified process can help easing this problem - leaving Buffalo out of Simplified process only adds to the problem.

I don't blame abusers - system allows for abuse, thus it is fault of the system. Abusers will take any opportunity they can find to benefit from it and making rules tighter to reduce abuse is the only solution.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

zachary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zachary
One question here. Since we need to stay 2 years out of every 5 years in Canada in order to maintain our PR. Am I right to say that I can actually stay 2 years in Canada then I stay 6 years out of Canada then I come back in the last 2 years? Hope somebody can help!
Hope to clarify everything. I have every intention to move permanently to Canada. I have studied here before and simply love this country. I have been dreaming of coming back here since I was here for my studies 10 years ago. However, my parents are really reluctant to let me go so I thought of going back to my home country for a couple of years to be by their side before coming back to Canada permanently.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Mayur Patel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, you cannot.

5 years is a rolling period - it starts the day you land as a PR in Canada and then after the 5th anniversary of landing it moves every day by a day. After 5th anniversary of landing you must be able to prove at any given day that you were in Canada for at least 730 days within 5 years immediately preceding the day of counting.

And of course simply meeting your residency obligations to maintain PR status will not be enough to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
Mr Andrew Miller, I would like to know how the 730 days in a 5yr period is applied in the event one needs to leave Canada. As it takes very long to sponsor parents having moved to Canada as a Skilled Worker PR.

I have received my PR and will be moving to Canada before March 08 and try and put in the required 3yrs residency while my parents are in good health but in the event they suffered any health problems then we (family) would have to return back to the UK.

Are there exceptions made for special cases?

Many thanks for the advice you have given me in the past.

MP
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Mayur Patel
Mr Andrew Miller, I would like to know how the 730 days in a 5yr period is applied in the event one needs to leave Canada. As it takes very long to sponsor parents having moved to Canada as a Skilled Worker PR.

I have received my PR and will be moving to Canada before March 08 and try and put in the required 3yrs residency while my parents are in good health but in the event they suffered any health problems then we (family) would have to return back to the UK.

Are there exceptions made for special cases?

Many thanks for the advice you have given me in the past.

MP
No, there are exceptions, accompanying Canadian spouse, working for a Canadian company/military/government other than that, it is 2 years in 5 or it is gone.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Sponsoring parents from the UK, how long does it take?

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, there are exceptions, accompanying Canadian spouse, working for a Canadian company/military/government other than that, it is 2 years in 5 or it is gone.
Yes I did read about that rule, so it is a minimum of 2 yrs in a 5yr period however this is done.

In that case I will have to try and get my parents over to Canada on sponsorship.

Would like to know how much time it takes to sponsor parents from the UK who are also UK citizens?

The information on CIC's website suggest it takes 12 months for CIC London to process the application but it is the Canadian side where I beleive I will have to apply which could take upto 2yrs or more.

Thanks,
MP

Last edited by Mayur Patel; Jul 31st 2007 at 5:09 am.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mayur Patel
Y
In that case I will have to try and get my parents over to Canada on sponsorship.

Would like to know how much time it takes to sponsor parents from the UK who are also UK citizens?

The information on CIC's website suggest it takes 12 months for CIC London to process the application but it is the Canadian side where I beleive I will have to apply which could take upto 2yrs or more.
You are unlikely to obtain anything more reliable than what is on the CIC site. Make sure you are fully aware of the sponsorship obligations, and bear in mind your parents will face a health check.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are unlikely to obtain anything more reliable than what is on the CIC site. Make sure you are fully aware of the sponsorship obligations, and bear in mind your parents will face a health check.
Is this health check any different to the one that we normally have to go thru or is it more detailed.

My parents are in their 70's with no health problems at the moment but as you know anything can happen.

I might give a call to the doctor we visited to have our medicals done perhaps he could give further advice on the health check.

Thanks,
MP