Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Main Applicant & Work Experience Question for Skilled migrant route

Wikiposts

Main Applicant & Work Experience Question for Skilled migrant route

Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default Main Applicant & Work Experience Question for Skilled migrant route

Hi everyone

Sorry for being a pain but I keep coming up against silly little confusions that I just can't quite figure out on my own or by reading the info on this site and the immigration site.

1st question:
If we apply with my husband as the main applicant, because at this point in time it makes sense because I am not working, and then it takes them 4-5years or whatever to look at our case - well, alot can happen in this amount of time and my husband is planning a career change and I am planning to go back to work full time and complete my studies etc etc, can we, if we want to, update our information at a later stage to make me the main applicant or is that not possible at all. I think I already know the answer but just wanted to check. Only because when it comes to giving them the updated information, I want to make sure that the main applicant is the one of the 2 of us with the strongest possible chance of getting accepted.

2nd Questions:
I'm finding the correct job description from the NOC to match to what I did in my last job. So I've found a description that matches exactly to what I did BUT while the description matches exactly, the employement requirements that are listed below the job description don't match to my qualifications? Does that matter? From my understanding you don't have to have your skills and qualifications assessed to prove that you can do the job you are claiming but do you think it will work against me when a visa officer looks at my case if I don't comply with the employment requirements part of the job description. I can prove the work experience with letters etc as I qualify to do the job in this country? but just not according to Canadian standards?

Thanks for your help. So far, everyone has been really, really helpful as it's such a confusing process I think.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Main Applicant & Work Experience Question for Skilled migrant route

I wouldn't have thought that you can change the main applicant after submitting your application, but I may be wrong (there are many on this forum more knowledgeable about these things than me). Also, employment history counts as points too (as far as I can remember) so even if you 'up' your qualifications, you will still lack work experience. I would go with your current idea of your husband as principle applicant if I were you.
CHC recognise that during the wait, peoples circumstances change, so this is why they send you a request for updates etc nearer the time of your expected processing. You will be able to notify them of updates in qualifications and work experience then. If you're retraining, and gaining more qualifications, then surely that will enhance your application, not hinder it.

I know what you mean about it all being confusing though - I remember it well. You spend so long looking at the forms, you even doubt your own name in the end!