Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Made redundant in Quebec with a TWP

Made redundant in Quebec with a TWP

Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

alexbowyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Made redundant in Quebec with a TWP

I think it's ok - all you need to do is find a new job, then provided you can present your CSQ and proof of permanent residence application payment, you will be issued a new work visa automatically (no need for LMO or CAQ)

Source:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...after-csq.html

(equivalent to the one posted by alexbellamy but his was for students, this is the temporary worker version).

Great news for those of us who are interested in changing job while we await the PR approval!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

BritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really nice

Thanks, but the problem is, without a current job, I can't apply for the Federal part, I need a new employment to do that bit, so I have no reciept
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInQuebec
Thanks, but the problem is, without a current job, I can't apply for the Federal part, I need a new employment to do that bit, so I have no reciept
For Federal Skilled Worker, you need a job offer.

But since you have the CSQ, you don't need to apply under Federal Skilled Worker, you can apply as a Provincial Nominee/Quebec Skilled Worker which doesn't need a job offer, you don't even need to stay in Canada during.

EDIT: I had initially put a link to the Canadian Experience Class, but that doesn't work if you want to live in Quebec, so I replaced it with the QSW link

Last edited by alexbowyer; Apr 7th 2013 at 11:20 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

BritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really niceBritInQuebec is just really nice

Oh wow, really?! Also, I don't have a University degree, so I'm not sure if I can apply under that.

Last edited by BritInQuebec; Apr 7th 2013 at 11:46 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Oh wow, really?! Also, I don't have a University degree, so I'm not sure if I can apply under that.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter if the province has already selected you and you have the CSQ. You may want to contact CIC and ask to be sure, but this is what I just applied under (I went same route as you - french exam > PEQ > CSQ) and my PR application was accepted into the system.

Either way, there's gotta be a way to follow through on your CSQ and get the visa. It would be crazy if you had no way to get the visa Quebec has approved you for.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks, still not found work yet, but knowing my PR was on the way would be a massive relief.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As you have been Quebec selected you need to check it out here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

Quebec Selects their applicants, they do not just nominate as with other provinces, so the process is slightly different.

The package can be found here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...pplication.asp
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, still not found work yet, but knowing my PR was on the way would be a massive relief.
I just double checked my copy of the PR application I sent off under this QSW programme. Nowhere does it ask you to prove your current employment or demand that you currently be employed.

The only job related things on there are:
- you have to account for each period of time for the last 10 years - as studying, working, unemployed, travelling etc
- you have to state your current job title (or "unemployed" - and this can be anything).
- you have to state your intended job title (should relate to your profession)

So honestly I think you are good.

Bonne chance mon brave!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, it's confirmed, I can apply!

I'm going to have a hell of a time accounting for everything in the last 10 years though, this is going to be fun!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, it's confirmed, I can apply!
Congratulations! Glad I could help. I take it you called them up and got it confirmed.

I'm going to have a hell of a time accounting for everything in the last 10 years though, this is going to be fun!
Yeah - that part is crazy. Especially trying to list every trip outside of the country, with dates. I had to go back before Gmail, before Facebook, before digital cameras, much harder to track things down from before about 2004!

You just have to remember this tho.. If it's that hard for *you* to figure out dates from your own life, how much could Canada do to verify them?

I think it's mainly about checking you haven't spent lots of time in "suspicious" places or something.

Anyway, great news, good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, will do now just to find another job!

I was wondering, if I apply and get the LMO waiver... Does that mean I can apply for ANYTHING?

Just a thought, because if they don't need an LMO, it won't need to be an 'in demand' job, surely?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, will do now just to find another job!

I was wondering, if I apply and get the LMO waiver... Does that mean I can apply for ANYTHING?

Just a thought, because if they don't need an LMO, it won't need to be an 'in demand' job, surely?
I think you may have misunderstood something here...

A Labour Market Opinion is a Quebec matter not a federal matter. It's something you need for getting a CAQ (which as you know is the quebec stage of getting a *temporary* work permit). There is no "LMO waiver". A CAQ is tied to a specific job, and so is an LMO.

There are three scenarios:

First Scenario:

First, you find a new job. You haven't yet applied for permanent residence. You apply for a temporary work permit tied to that job. The company must get a LMO for you for that job, and you can use that to get a CAQ, which you can then present to Canada for getting the temporary work permit. This permit is for that job only, and will need to be renewed each year.. Only when you apply for permanent residence using your CSQ, and when you get that PR visa, are you then entitled to work for any job you like without having to have temporary visas each year.

Second Scenario:

First, you apply for permanent residence. Then, at some point after having paid your PR fee, you find a new job. You apply for a temporary work permit tied to that job (you still need to do this, while you wait for PR). Because you have a CSQ, and proof of permanent residence application payment, you do not need to produce a CAQ in order to get a new temporary work permit. And because you don't need a CAQ, you don't need an LMO. So you'll present your CSQ and proof of PR application payment to Canada and they will issue you a temporary work permit. This permit only entitles you to work for that employer, and will need to be renewed each year.. Eventually, when your PR card arrives, you are now entitled to work for anyone you like.

Third Scenario:

You stay in Canada on your current visa (which doesn't entitle you to work for anyone except your ex-employer). Or, you leave the country for a while (Your current visa lets you come and go, but not work). You apply for permanent residence on the basis of your CSQ and Quebec experience. At some point later, your PR card arrives, and you are now entitled to work for any employer you like in Canada. But you weren't able to work before getting the PR card, because you had no valid visa to do so.

Sorry if that was a bit wordy, hopefully it makes it clearer?

PS, I recommend the second scenario:
1) Apply for permanent residence
2) Find job
3) Apply for temporary work permit for new job (based on CSQ, job offer & proof of PR payment)
4) Start work at new job.
5) Review temp permit as necessary until PR card arrives (current times are around 12 months)
6) Receive PR card.

Last edited by alexbowyer; Apr 8th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Ok, but if I don't need a CAQ, doesn't that mean that a lot more jobs are open to me?