Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

lying to immigration - this is what our lawyer says

lying to immigration - this is what our lawyer says

Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:03 am
cbays

cbays is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lying to immigration - this is what our lawyer says

Hi all
Been reading some messages about what to say and what not to say at immigration when arriving in Canada.

I am now concerned.

As I've said before, hubby is applying for a study permit and I'll be going with him on an open work permit. Our ultimate intention is to apply for PR once he passes his course. He needs to do the course in order to get the points necessary for PR.

Our legal council has told us not to let on to the high commission that we will be applyng for PR as he said, they will know you're just doing the course to get the points (don't know what's so wrong with that). He also said don't tell them you're selling the house.

Natually, as he is supposed to be an expert we've gone along with his advice. But having read some of these messages, I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
CBays
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:20 am
Mission Accomplished !

bubbleface will become famous soon enoughbubbleface will become famous soon enough
Default Re: lying to immigration - this is what our lawyer says

I am not an expert. But I've read about similar cases many times. Actually, your intention of this trip is very simple - to study. Yes your long term goal is to get the points and apply for immigration, but what's your intention of this trip? How would you know that you will be applying due to things changing everyday?

Tell immigration offier the truth, you are going to Canada with your spouse on a study permit. Whether applying for immigration or not, this is yet to be determined.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:22 am
cbays

cbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that - I didn't like the feeling I was getting. You've helped me clarify what we're doing.

Cheers
C
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:05 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbays
As I've said before, hubby is applying for a study permit and I'll be going with him on an open work permit. Our ultimate intention is to apply for PR once he passes his course. He needs to do the course in order to get the points necessary for PR.

As you say, ultimate intention, not current intention. You're not going to submit your PR papers as soon as you arrive in Canada ? Right. So the intention is long term. Private thoughts. Long term planning. Damn it, who knows if you'll pass the course, like Canada etc etc. Maybe it's a study and research trip ? Nothing wrong with that. Thousands do the same every year.

Our legal council has told us not to let on to the high commission that we will be applyng for PR as he said, they will know you're just doing the course to get the points (don't know what's so wrong with that). He also said don't tell them you're selling the house.

Whatever you're doing with your UK assets is your own business. Whether you rent own let out or whatever a home. It's private business. Since you're studying in a foreign country, maybe it's wise to free up your assets. That's strictly your business, although a UK residential address looks better than 'no fixed UK abode' which might worry CIC.
In your shoes I'd just play a cautious game of knowing what was fact and sensible to state clearly, and what was held back as not being necessary to disclose because it's just in your mind as ideas for the future, and may or may not happen.

Good luck,

Rich.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:36 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I completely agree with everyone else's replies. At this time you are not applying for PR - you may never apply for PR, so why tell them. You are purely going to study end of story - keep it simple and by the way, you aren't lying, you are in fact telling the truth. There is a difference!