Wikiposts

Lost COPR - Advice sought

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

antonyr5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost COPR - Advice sought

Hi All,

It's been a while since my last post, but I'm hoping you can help. I have done a search of the forums, but didn't find anything that would answer my questions.

We landed and activated our PR status 2 years ago and received our COPR's. We returned to the UK with the intention of returning at a later date.

That time has come and my family and I make the big move in 4 weeks time.

However, I've managed to lose my COPR in the last couple of weeks and am now starting to worry about the implications.

Last month we got our PRTD's which is the last time I saw my COPR. I'm aware that I need to use a specific VOS form to get a copy, but the timelines for that are 6 months.

My concerns are as follows:

1 - Will I have difficulty getting back into Canada? I'm guessing not as I've got a PRTD.

2 - From what I understand I can't apply for a PR card until I have the VOS, would a first PR card be ordered/processed as we pass through immigration?

3 - As we pass through immigration would a replacement COPR be printed?

4 - Without a COPR/PR Card what other proof can prospective employers accept that I'm allowed to work in Canada? Is the PRTD stamp in my passport sufficient?

I'm hoping that my COPR will turn up, but in the mean time any advice would be appreciated .

Antony
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost COPR - Advice sought

1. The PRTD will show proof of PR status providing you meet or can meet the 730 day residency obligation.
2. You can apply online for the PR card via the IRCC (CIC) website.
Apply — Permanent resident card

3. You can ask CBSA to reprint a COPR form and you will need to go into the Immigration office on landing. Will they do it I don't know.
4. Did you get a SIN when you initially landed? If so then that should be sufficient. If no SIN then you will have to see Service Canada as they will want to see the COPR form. You might have to request a copy of COPR form
Application for a Verification of Status (VOS), or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5545)
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Former Lancastrian, that puts my mind at rest on point 1 at least

We do have an address where we're staying to start with so I'll apply for the PR card online and get the ball rolling.

We didn't get a SIN when we initially landed so I'll also complete the VOS now so hopefully the wait for it when we arrive in Canada isn't too long.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info FL. In terms of applying online for a PR card, I used the link you provided but only seem to be able to find the application pack IMM5444 which needs to be mailed. Am I missing something?

Also, from what I can gather in terms of documents needed for the PR card application, the secondary piece of ID needs to be the COPR, provincial drivers licence/photo ID, or student card. Is a UK drivers licence acceptable for this application?

Sorry for the questions, if only I hadn't lost my COPR in the first place I wouldn't be fretting quite so much.

Antony
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:57 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a replacement on the cic web page. We had to do this for my wife who sent hers to the passport office inside the passport and never saw it again :@(

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/certcopy.asp

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 23rd 2016 at 8:04 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Always make a copy. At least you have that if it goes missing.

S
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks both, I'll get on and get a replacement requested and then take multiple copies of that in case I do something stupid like this again!

The timing, on top of everything else, couldn't have been worse. Maybe when the movers turn up next week I'll come across the original as they pack our belongings.

Antony
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify: A PR card is applied for from inside of Canada only.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 25th 2016 at 6:21 am.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 9:38 am
Just Joined

thanks, although I believe if we have an address in Canada we're moving to we can use that and apply before we step foot in Canada again?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

The regulations state that a PR card application is to be made in Canada (see IRPR, R56(2)).

Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

This is also stated in the instructions (eligibility) for the application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/5445ETOC.asp

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 26th 2016 at 3:28 am.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:53 am
Just Joined

ok, we'll wait till we get to Canada, it's only a few weeks away now till we arrive.

Thanks for the help.
Antony
Old Mar 26th 2016, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

If you don't have a PR card (or the card expires), it doesn't mean you are not a PR. Its primary purpose is to enable you to travel back to Canada by plane/commercial transport if you're abroad (as you know: you didn't have one so had to apply for a PRTD). However, it can also be used sometimes as a form of ID in Canada.

I would really concentrate on trying to find your landing document (fold it and affix into your passport if you find it after having taken a copy). Mine was stapled in by CBSA.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 26th 2016 at 4:16 am.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Good advice, and I will be turning the house upside down over the next couple of days to try and find it.

Antony