Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

lost citizenship card...can i travel with my UK passport and the paper certificate?

lost citizenship card...can i travel with my UK passport and the paper certificate?

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

boxcarracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lost citizenship card...can i travel with my UK passport and the paper certificate?

Hey Guys, So Here is my query..

I recently became a Canadian citizen but have lost my wallet-sized canadian citizenship card although I still have the official paper Certificate with my name on it that I received at the ceremony.
I am traveling to Mexico next week on an airtransat package deal and am wondering if i should expect any problems getting on the flight with my UK passport? The things i will have are my UK passport, my record of landing from back in 1993, and the certificate from the ceremony.
I basically want to know if they won't let on the flight going to mexico if i cant "officially" prove canadian citizenship with the little card first? I have no problem fighting with the custom agents to get back into canada on the way back...i just dont want to not even get that chance if they dont let me on the plane to get there in the first place.

I know that the certificate alone isnt considered a travel document but will it be enough to prove that im a citizen to get back into canada and let me travel?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost citizenship card...can i travel with my UK passport and the paper certificat

OH is a British passport holder, PR of Canada. All that the charter airline wanted to see from him for checking in for a Canada-Mexico holiday was his PR card. It's not relevant for him entering Mexico as a Brit but you can't expect Canadian charter airline staff to know all that. They were adamant they wanted to see it, and who knows what would have happened if he didn't have it.

It shouldn't matter a jot, but be prepared. Print off entry requirements to Mexico for British citizens, etc. and take it with you to show the airline staff.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: lost citizenship card...can i travel with my UK passport and the paper certificat

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
OH is a British passport holder, PR of Canada. All that the charter airline wanted to see from him for checking in for a Canada-Mexico holiday was his PR card. It's not relevant for him entering Mexico as a Brit but you can't expect Canadian charter airline staff to know all that. They were adamant they wanted to see it, and who knows what would have happened if he didn't have it.

It shouldn't matter a jot, but be prepared. Print off entry requirements to Mexico for British citizens, etc. and take it with you to show the airline staff.
yeah thats my whole worry, if i had an official card i wouldnt be worrying at all because that is the 'official' accepted proof to get into canada.

I am checking in with a UK passport so I know I would be fine just going to mexico because the requirements are to have a passport...but im just hoping that they won't not let me on because I don't have the card to prove i can get back into canada on the way back.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:05 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Well it specifically says on the paper certificate that it is not proof of citizenship. You are in a bit of a fix having lost the official card because it takes a while to replace it.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
yeah thats my whole worry, if i had an official card i wouldnt be worrying at all because that is the 'official' accepted proof to get into canada.

I am checking in with a UK passport so I know I would be fine just going to mexico because the requirements are to have a passport...but im just hoping that they won't not let me on because I don't have the card to prove i can get back into canada on the way back.
I don't think they asked my OH for his PR card because of re-entering Canada on the way back, I think they asked it because PRs of Canada can enter Mexico regardless of their citizenship, can't they? My point was not to expect a Canadian check-in person to know that British citizens can also enter Mexico, but to take your own proof so as to convince them. You could legitimately be a UK citizen, visitor in Canada, travelling to Mexico and back to Canada. I don't see that everyone on a Mexico-bound plane leaving Canada must be a citizen/PR and able to prove it. My brother, Canadian citizen, enters Canada by air on a British passport and doesn't declare himself to be a citizen. I think he's daft, but certainly no alarm bells rang when he's done it!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:44 am
Just Joined

well thanks for the responses...
I have found my card tonight after one last tear apart of the house...so im going to get a passport now to try and avoid any future problems. I still found when i travelled with the citizenship card and my UK passport when trying to re-enter canada...the customs agents were still not happy to let me in without telling me i should get a passport as well to make their job easier..

so i suppose thats what ill do
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:18 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Always use your Canadian passport, once you get one, when entering Canada. It is an exercise of your citizenship to do so as the Border Agents have mentioned to you it seems.