Lost Citizenship

Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Citizenship

Because like most countries Canada uses an honour system for applicants which is basically you apply and fill out forms and send the odd document if required.
How easy is it to forge a document these days with colour laser printers easily available.
Why does Canada not have full exit controls on its citizens? Cost, privacy concerns, or other? What about those who have dual citizenship and exit on the other passport? Record would show John Doe 12/12/1965 UK citizen on UK passport exiting not knowing that the same John Doe is also a Canadian citizen.

Canada does a pretty decent job to a degree in vetting/security checks but its not perfect. They need the co-operation of all Governments to access certain information and some are reluctant to provide it or take a considerable time to supply it like travel documents for their citizens who Canada is trying to deport.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe my concerns are totally unfounded. After all, I filed all the applications myself, without any help of any layers. I just keep reading about it in the media, from phony immigration consultants to covered up crime in other countries. There were even stories of people taking the citizenship exam for others.... This sure raises questions on the screening procedures in Canada and how secure citizenship really is. How the media portrays the situation is often a different matter. The audience likes to read and the media likes to sell.....

Last edited by OrangeMango; Oct 10th 2016 at 8:34 am.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Maybe my concerns are totally unfounded. After all, I filed all the applications myself, without any help of any layers. I just keep reading about it in the media, from phony immigration consultants to covered up crime in other countries. There were even stories of people taking the citizenship exam for others.... This sure raises questions on the screening procedures in Canada and how secure citizenship really is. How the media portrays the situation is often a different matter. The audience likes to read and the media likes to sell.....
That was all true. So you become a PR and have a residency obligation of 730 days every rolling 5 years or need to have resided for 1095 days for citizenship. If no exit controls exist how can we disprove you were not in the country for the required amount of time? You have been issued a SIN number. How easy is it to get a letter from some company saying you work for them? You fill out your tax returns every year what is the chance of being audited by the Govt. Lots of non registered consultants doing business both in Canada and overseas.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
That was all true. So you become a PR and have a residency obligation of 730 days every rolling 5 years or need to have resided for 1095 days for citizenship. If no exit controls exist how can we disprove you were not in the country for the required amount of time? You have been issued a SIN number. How easy is it to get a letter from some company saying you work for them? You fill out your tax returns every year what is the chance of being audited by the Govt. Lots of non registered consultants doing business both in Canada and overseas.
Yeah, but here is where the problems, or let's say, my uncertainty come in:
Back then it was 3 years, not 4 years for citizenship, plus I didn't always have an income or let's say a proper income, lived of savings for a couple of months whilst being in between jobs, changed industry often, did some professional training here to re-orient myself and some odd jobs here and there ( cash for gardening work) to keep me afloat. Back then, citizenship and immigration didn't care about that, even though I told them about my professional struggles. Back then there was no clear legal requirement to have a steady job, same as no income tax statement was required. I think they just were satisfied, if one had sufficient funds and savings. Bank statements, utility bills or lease agreements seemed to satisfy them. My career actually only started taking off fully after I became a citizen, but that was more down to professional re-orientation and professional training, plus I started earning more and more and seem to be settled now, at least job-wise....

That stated plus lack of exit controls, makes me possibly easy pray for somebody who just wants to strip somebody of citizenship. You may understand why these media reports may make me feel uneasy.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Oct 10th 2016 at 9:04 am.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Back then it was 3 years, not 4 years for citizenship, plus I didn't always have an income or let's say a proper income, lived of savings for a couple of months whilst being in between jobs, changed industry often, did some professional training here to re-orient myself and some odd jobs here and there ( cash for gardening work) to keep me afloat. Back then, citizenship and immigration didn't care about that, even though I told them about my professional struggles. Back then there was no clear legal requirement to have a steady job, same as no income tax statement was required. I think they just were satisfied, if one had sufficient funds and savings. Bank statements, utility bills or lease agreements seemed to satisfy them. My career actually only started taking off fully after I became a citizen, but that was more down to professional re-orientation and professional training, plus I started earning more and more and seem to be settled now, at least job-wise....

That stated plus lack of exit controls, makes me possibly easy pray for somebody who just wants to strip somebody of citizenship. You may understand why these media reports may make me feel uneasy.
Provided you did not get citizenship by misrepresentation/fraud then once you become a citizen then it can't be taken away from you. The cases you are reading about are not the norm as misrepresentation was indirectly provided by someone else. The repercussions for indirect misrepresentation are another matter for discussion and not applicable in your case I hope.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty on here have citizenship now and not concerned by the articles. Wondering if there is something you are not telling, or just really paranoid?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I guess three questions come to mind. Firstly, is there someone out there who you think would dob you in for some reason? Secondly, is there any evidence that you weren't in the country for the periods that aren't covered by attendance at a work place as documented by wage slips and tax records? Thirdly, did you use the services of a dodgy immigration consultant to apply for citizenship (actually, I think you said you did your own application)?

If neither one or three is the case, then you have nothing obvious to worry about. Otherwise, you might want to put your own mind at rest by getting copies of any entry/exit records from countries you did/didn't visit during your qualifying period to double check that they all match what you said on your application. You can get US records online for free here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search and UK records are available here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-immigration. Other countries have similar.

This seems to be what the RCMP will do if they do decide to investigate you. If they don't find any discrepancy with your application then why would they try to revoke your citizenship?
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aviator
There are plenty on here have citizenship now and not concerned by the articles. Wondering if there is something you are not telling, or just really paranoid?
I am just concerned, or to put it in your words "paranoid" about it, if you want to use that word. We also can't deny here that there also have been many articles on this matter, in Canada but I never read anything in France or the UK, not even in the US. Thus I believed other countries are handling the matter better. Personally I experienced a lot, not all positive. This can have an impact on thinking and personal mentality.

In Canada I never had any issues with any authorities. Everything was always straight forward, easy and without any complications. Speak English and French fluently, some other Eastern European languages, absolutely no criminal record, nowhere, not even fare evasion, or a speeding ticket, never any demerit points on my Ontario license, nor on any other license I've had.

Overall I still I believe the Monsef case as well as the Concordia student case are a disproportionate reaction on behalf of Immigration and Citizenship Canada. How can somebody be guilty of misrepresentation if one is a minor, or even an infant?? That's just not possible ! Or all the other cases of "lost Canadians" who were born overseas, and had their citizenship apparently taken away at age 28? That gave me the reason, that citizenship if granted, as opposed to not born in the country, is weak.