British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Looking for work while on a visit visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/looking-work-while-visit-visa-943945/)

Instantpot May 12th 2022 10:40 am

Looking for work while on a visit visa

Hi All,
For those that require visa to enter Canada, are allowed to look for work while on visit visa. Is there any IIRC rules that forbids one from applying for jobs or speaking with employers.
If for example, you get an employer that is willing to sponsor you for LMIA, can you apply for a work visa whilst still in Canada. Or do you have leave Canada to apply for work permit.

christmasoompa May 12th 2022 1:04 pm

Re: Looking for work while on a visit visa

Originally Posted by Instantpot (Post 13114215)
Hi All,
For those that require visa to enter Canada, are allowed to look for work while on visit visa. Is there any IIRC rules that forbids one from applying for jobs or speaking with employers.
If for example, you get an employer that is willing to sponsor you for LMIA, can you apply for a work visa whilst still in Canada. Or do you have leave Canada to apply for work permit.

No problem at all to look for working whilst there as a visitor. You can apply for a work permit from Canada, but the LMIA will usually take around 3-4 months, so that would be a lot of time to be hanging around waiting for it! So most people go, job hunt for a week or two, then return to their home country to wait whilst the LMIA is processed.

Hope that helps.

Instantpot May 12th 2022 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13114274)
No problem at all to look for working whilst there as a visitor. You can apply for a work permit from Canada, but the LMIA will usually take around 3-4 months, so that would be a lot of time to be hanging around waiting for it! So most people go, job hunt for a week or two, then return to their home country to wait whilst the LMIA is processed.

Hope that helps.

The person I am asking on behalf is not British. They are from a country where you need visa to enter Canada. I assume looking for a job in Canada will not break the rule.

Former Lancastrian May 12th 2022 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Instantpot (Post 13114289)
The person I am asking on behalf is not British. They are from a country where you need visa to enter Canada. I assume looking for a job in Canada will not break the rule.

Even if not visa exempt they won't be breaking the rules however they need to satisfy CBSA on arrival that they won't be working and will leave Canada at the end of their visit.

Instantpot May 12th 2022 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13114307)
Even if not visa exempt they won't be breaking the rules however they need to satisfy CBSA on arrival that they won't be working and will leave Canada at the end of their visit.

thank you.