Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by pinewood

thanks will check them out
What type of self employment have you undertaken? Is it something that is in demand in Canada / Eastern Provinces ? What do you do for a living?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I submitted an express entry profile 2 years ago. I do not think we had an expression of interest yet. Maybe because we don't have a job offer.
A job offer isn't a requirement, EE is done solely on points (although a job offer contributes to those points), what are you scoring on the CRS? Your profile in the EE pool will have expired after a year, so if you haven't resubmitted then you don't currently have one.

its from an immigration consultants website. one based in Toronto!
Ah. So not an official source then. Edit: just found the website I think, if it's the one I think it is then I can't find the name/licence number of their consultant on the website. Doesn't seem legit to me unless I'm just being blind.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2020 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I would suggest looking at the Start Up PR route.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html

What type of self employment have you undertaken? Is it something that is in demand in Canada / Eastern Provinces ?

There's a few Entrepreneur PNP streams in the East (and the other Provinces)..
https://www.welcomenb.ca/content/wel...m-summary.html
https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...i-entrepreneur
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo.../entrepreneur/
with the nova scotia entrepreneur route I meet all these
  • be 21 years of age or older;
  • want to live permanently in Nova Scotia while owning and actively managing a Nova Scotia business;
  • have a net worth of at least $600,000 CAD;
  • be able to invest at least $150,000 CAD of your own money to establish a business in Nova Scotia;
  • have at least 3 years’ experience actively managing and owning a business (1/3 ownership minimum) OR more than 5 years’ experience in a senior business management role;
  • have a score of at least 5 on the Canadian Language Benchmark in speaking, listening, reading and writing in English or French;
  • complete an online Expression of Interest;
  • receive an Invitation to Apply from the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration.
except my 5 years senior management experience was gained 2005 - 2010
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A job offer isn't a requirement, EE is done solely on points (although a job offer contributes to those points), what are you scoring on the CRS? Your profile in the EE pool will have expired after a year, so if you haven't resubmitted then you don't currently have one.

Ah. So not an official source then. I hope the company name doesn't begin with B - if it does, run away fast!
my wife tells me it has been resubmitted, points score was around 350
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

my wife tells me it has been resubmitted, points score was around 350
OK, so a long way off the points threshold for receiving an invite to apply. That's incredibly low for somebody with an MBA. Can you give us a breakdown of the points, doesn't seem right to me?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
What type of self employment have you undertaken? Is it something that is in demand in Canada / Eastern Provinces ? What do you do for a living?
i ran a small company 2005 - 2010 as a director and 100% share holder.

built some small renewable energy systems using USA and Nova scotia hardware for some clients as an offshoot from the previous business.

construction project management after for a few years working for myself.

more recently just semi retired collecting rent from investments.

now at the point of selling assets and looking toward the future.

getting bored and need a purpose!

Last edited by pinewood; Jul 28th 2020 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

OK, so a long way off the points threshold for receiving an invite to apply. That's incredibly low for somebody with an MBA. Can you give us a breakdown of the points, doesn't seem right to me?
Age 50
Education 126
first lang. pro. 108

spouse first lang 18

skills trans. educ. 25
foreign work exp. 25
Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Age 50
Education 126
first lang. pro. 108

spouse first lang 18

skills trans. educ. 25
foreign work exp. 25
OK, so you're missing a potential 70 points if you could increase your IELTS score to CLB 9 across the board, and points for your spouses education. But even so you're going to be a way off, unfortunately your age is against you.

You would need a job offer (and retaking IELTS etc) if you did want to get PR via EE.

Definitely look at the PNP's, and see if any of those work though.

Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

OK, so you're missing a potential 70 points if you could increase your IELTS score to CLB 9 across the board, and points for your spouses education. But even so you're going to be a way off, unfortunately your age is against you.

You would need a job offer (and retaking IELTS etc) if you did want to get PR via EE.

yes i will look into pnp.
its clear that what the immigration advisor has highlighted is possible as has been commented.already
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes i will look into pnp.
its clear that what the immigration advisor has highlighted is possible as has been commented.already
It is possible, yes. But the quote from their website is over simplifying it. No automatic route to PR either so it’s risky to sink lots of money in to buying a business with no way of knowing if you can stay. You’d still have to meet the requirements for PR under another program like EE if you did want to stay permanently.

How many people will you plan to hire under your business plan?

Worth searching the forum for some of RICH’s posts about the process, here are a few to get you started -

Noobie Question

self-employed immigration

What should we do Rent of BUY???

Best to explore possible PR routes instead IMO, particularly with kids, so that’s where I’d start, and have the owner operator TWP as a Plan B if you don’t qualify for any of them.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2020 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

i ran a small company 2005 - 2010 as a director and 100% share holder.

built some small renewable energy systems using USA and Nova scotia hardware for some clients as an offshoot from the previous business.

construction project management after for a few years working for myself.

more recently just semi retired collecting rent from investments.

now at the point of selling assets and looking toward the future.

getting bored and need a purpose!
That still doesn't tell me the type of self employment you anticipate having in the Eastern Provinces - what business do you anticipate starting - is it something that is in demand in Canada / the Eastern Provinces?
You need to have a business plan - semi retired isn't going to gain you Permanent Residencey.

I would suggest that you shouldn't get sucked in by the suggestions on the website that you have referred to before - Immigration Websites are looking for your money - it's what they do for a living! They want you to ask them to represent you, to attempt to secure you Permanent Residency (they are known for touting for business, not always in the best interest of those that they process) and it will cost you thousands with no guarantee of success at the end of it. What you need to do is to ascertain which route could work for you.. they cannot magic up Express Entry points you don't qualify for. You are the one who will do all the work - all the collection of documentary evidence, submission of police reports, medicals, education assessments, etc., and you are ultimately responsible for the information given to Immigration Canada on submission - so better to do it yourself at very little cost.

I would concentrate on what you need to do to achieve what you want.. the first step for that is to determine what business you might want to start in Canada - and the viability of it. Investing in rental property won't work.. it needs to be a viable proposition if you hope to gain a TWP and PR at the end of it.

Wishy washy doesn't work for Immigration I'm sure you have a wealth of experience and expertise - what could you start up, do you think?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 29th 2020 at 6:25 pm. Reason: sp
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:03 am
Just Joined

i ALREADY GOT A GOOD SCORE OF 8 ON MY IELTS

If i took it again i know i would get a 8.5 maybe an 8.6

will that get enough points to meet the threshold????

OR is EE the wrong route as it may be a flawed system given that

1 I have an MBA
2 I have over 1,000,000 dollars to bring with me
3. 2 young children (helping with Canada's demographic problem)
4. English as first language - I got a 9 out of 9 for speaking ilets
5. Multi skilled highly adaptable WITH OVER 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE
6. No criminal convictions and no debt!

Canada immigration should snap me up given that I will be making jobs not taking them!!!!!!!!!!!! unless EE is flawed and not the right route for me
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shelley748
What makes you think you can just "move" over here?

Have you looked at the website for immigration and what categories there are?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html
what makes you think you cannot??!!

people with money can move almost anywhere.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i ALREADY GOT A GOOD SCORE OF 8 ON MY IELTS

If i took it again i know i would get a 8.5 maybe an 8.6

will that get enough points to meet the threshold????

OR is EE the wrong route as it may be a flawed system given that

1 I have an MBA
2 I have over 1,000,000 dollars to bring with me
3. 2 young children (helping with Canada's demographic problem)
4. English as first language - I got a 9 out of 9 for speaking ilets
5. Multi skilled highly adaptable WITH OVER 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE
6. No criminal convictions and no debt!

Canada immigration should snap me up given that I will be making jobs not taking them!!!!!!!!!!!! unless EE is flawed and not the right route for me
No, that still wouldn't get you enough points to meet the threshold, the most you could get even if you re-took IELTS, got your wife to re-take IELTS, and got your wife's education assessed would be another 82 points, putting you at 432 so still around 30 points short (and that's assuming your wife has a Masters degree or similar, it may be less if she doesn't have that). I'm sorry but many of the things you've mentioned such as having young children, having no debt, having a reasonable amount of cash, etc, just aren't relevant to an EE application. Canada is looking for young, highly educated people, so it's age where you're losing points. If you were under 30, you'd get another 50 points.

what makes you think you cannot??!!

people with money can move almost anywhere.
It makes no difference to Canadian Federal immigration though, they did away with their investor program many years ago. There are other countries that do have something like that such as the US (although you'd need more than $1M CAD for that), so they may be better places to explore if that's the route you want to go down. Quebec does have an investor program too if that's of any interest, although again you'd need more than $1M. Immigration Québec - Investor Program

I think your best bet is to concentrate on the business visas, as long as it will be an active business and hiring Canadians, that will work and you'll have a choice of PNP's, as well as the Start Up program etc if you don't want to be tied to one province. So have a good read of those, and I'm sure you'll find a route that suits.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 29th 2020 at 9:18 am.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:09 am
Just Joined

No, that still wouldn't get you enough points to meet the threshold, the most you could get even if you re-took IELTS, got your wife to re-take IELTS, and got your wife's education assessed would be another 82 points, putting you at 432 so still around 30 points short (and that's assuming your wife has a Masters degree or similar, it may be less if she doesn't have that). I'm sorry but many of the things you've mentioned such as having young children, having no debt, having a reasonable amount of cash, etc, just aren't relevant to an EE application. Canada is looking for young, highly educated people, so it's age where you're losing points. If you were under 30, you'd get another 50 points.

It makes no difference to Canadian Federal immigration though, they did away with their investor program many years ago. There are other countries that do have something like that such as the US (although you'd need more than $1M CAD for that), so they may be better places to explore if that's the route you want to go down. Quebec does have an investor program too if that's of any interest, although again you'd need more than $1M. Immigration Québec - Investor Program

I think your best bet is to concentrate on the business visas, as long as it will be an active business and hiring Canadians, that will work and you'll have a choice of PNP's, as well as the Start Up program etc if you don't want to be tied to one province. So have a good read of those, and I'm sure you'll find a route that suits.

Best of luck.

Thats discouraging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.