Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Old Jul 26th 2020, 8:57 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Wanting to move from the UK to Atlantic Canada somewhere, not 100% sure where. I was born in the UK and my wife born in Ukraine. Both my kids have British passports.

Always been self employed or worked for my own business so have management experience and an MBA but not much else sadly.

Soon to sell the family home and another small property which should generate approx £430k savings.

Will be leaving 2 small investments in the UK which generate about £12k per year passive income.

Getting a little disheartened at the moment due to the covid restrictions and visa process.

If I brought a business in Canada and managed it maybe I might be able to get a temporary work permit in the future. Just wondered if anyone else has done this before and how they found the process even if its possible /realistic.

pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:22 pm
  #2  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,188
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

I don’t think you can just ”buy” a business on Canada and go and work for it. As far as I know the self employed route is for artists and athletes. What line of business are you in?
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2020, 11:09 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 197
TheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
I don’t think you can just ”buy” a business on Canada and go and work for it. As far as I know the self employed route is for artists and athletes. What line of business are you in?
Owner/Operator LMIA? I don't know enough about moving from that to PR though, I don't think there is anything under the AIPP for self employed people but there is a NB PNP entrepreneurial stream, might be an option. Pinewood, what does your wife do?
TheAwesomeMatt is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 7:46 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Near Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,191
shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by pinewood View Post
Wanting to move from the UK to Atlantic Canada somewhere, not 100% sure where. I was born in the UK and my wife born in Ukraine. Both my kids have British passports.

Always been self employed or worked for my own business so have management experience and an MBA but not much else sadly.

Soon to sell the family home and another small property which should generate approx £430k savings.

Will be leaving 2 small investments in the UK which generate about £12k per year passive income.

Getting a little disheartened at the moment due to the covid restrictions and visa process.

If I brought a business in Canada and managed it maybe I might be able to get a temporary work permit in the future. Just wondered if anyone else has done this before and how they found the process even if its possible /realistic.

What makes you think you can just "move" over here?

Have you looked at the website for immigration and what categories there are?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

shelley748 is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:52 pm
  #5  
Pea Brain
 
R I C H's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: TBD
Posts: 5,991
R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

I moved over as a tourist and purchased property to run a business from and a home to live in. Spent several months renovating the property to get it ready for trading, then went to the US/Canadian border for an interview and application for temporary work permit in order to run the business. I was issued with a 3 yr TWP, and applied separately for permanent residency. There was no guarantee that the purchase I made would provide me with residency status, but if you plan carefully, are aware of the potential pitfalls and risks involved, it is possible to make the move on that basis.
R I C H is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:50 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,489
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada


I would suggest looking at the Start Up PR route.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html

What type of self employment have you undertaken? Is it something that is in demand in Canada / Eastern Provinces ?

There's a few Entrepreneur PNP streams in the East (and the other Provinces)..
https://www.welcomenb.ca/content/wel...m-summary.html
https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...i-entrepreneur
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo.../entrepreneur/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2020 at 10:56 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:31 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,318
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

My suggestion was also going to be the Start Up Visa or PNP, both sound like they'd suit.

But just checking, I assume you have looked to see if you'd qualify for PR under Express Entry and discounted it? Just that it would be the easiest and quickest way over if you do, and given your MBA I'd have thought you stand a good chance of scoring enough.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:36 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
I don’t think you can just ”buy” a business on Canada and go and work for it. As far as I know the self employed route is for artists and athletes. What line of business are you in?

What is the process?

  1. The foreign investor identifies a Canadian business to purchase.
  2. A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is submitted along with a suitable business plan.
  3. Once a positive LMIA opinion is issued, the foreign investor applies for a 12-24 months, renewable temporary work permit at the management level.

How long does this process take?

Once a suitable business is found, it will take 2-3 months to complete the LMIA application process. It will take less than 3-months in most jurisdictions to receive a work permit.

When can the work permit holder apply for Canadian permanent residence?

There is no minimum wait time.

During the first year of working in Canada, the foreign investor along with immediate family members can apply for permanent residence if they qualify under a suitable program, either the federal Express Entry or a provincial nomination program. In most cases, the process can be completed in less than 12 months.


pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:40 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt View Post
Owner/Operator LMIA? I don't know enough about moving from that to PR though, I don't think there is anything under the AIPP for self employed people but there is a NB PNP entrepreneurial stream, might be an option. Pinewood, what does your wife do?
my wife used to work as a travel rep

will have to look at the nb pnp
pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 5:44 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,318
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by pinewood View Post

What is the process?

  1. The foreign investor identifies a Canadian business to purchase.
  2. A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is submitted along with a suitable business plan.
  3. Once a positive LMIA opinion is issued, the foreign investor applies for a 12-24 months, renewable temporary work permit at the management level.

How long does this process take?

Once a suitable business is found, it will take 2-3 months to complete the LMIA application process. It will take less than 3-months in most jurisdictions to receive a work permit.

When can the work permit holder apply for Canadian permanent residence?

There is no minimum wait time.

During the first year of working in Canada, the foreign investor along with immediate family members can apply for permanent residence if they qualify under a suitable program, either the federal Express Entry or a provincial nomination program. In most cases, the process can be completed in less than 12 months.
That doesn't sound as though it's from an official source though? It's a very oversimplified and not terribly accurate view of the process! Do stick with the CIC website.

That route can work (see RICH's post above, he went through that process), but if you have a route to PR then that may be a better option, so have a look at the other visa suggestions above.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:23 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
I moved over as a tourist and purchased property to run a business from and a home to live in. Spent several months renovating the property to get it ready for trading, then went to the US/Canadian border for an interview and application for temporary work permit in order to run the business. I was issued with a 3 yr TWP, and applied separately for permanent residency. There was no guarantee that the purchase I made would provide me with residency status, but if you plan carefully, are aware of the potential pitfalls and risks involved, it is possible to make the move on that basis.
thanks for your encouragement
pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:27 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

[QUOTE=Siouxie;12888293]



thanks will check them out
pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:43 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
My suggestion was also going to be the Start Up Visa or PNP, both sound like they'd suit.

But just checking, I assume you have looked to see if you'd qualify for PR under Express Entry and discounted it? Just that it would be the easiest and quickest way over if you do, and given your MBA I'd have thought you stand a good chance of scoring enough.
My wife and I submitted an express entry profile 2 years ago. I do not think we had an expression of interest yet. Maybe because we don't have a job offer.
pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:45 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 16
pinewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
That doesn't sound as though it's from an official source though? It's a very oversimplified and not terribly accurate view of the process! Do stick with the CIC website.

That route can work (see RICH's post above, he went through that process), but if you have a route to PR then that may be a better option, so have a look at the other visa suggestions above.

Good luck.
its from an immigration consultants website. one based in Toronto!

Last edited by pinewood; Jul 28th 2020 at 6:48 pm.
pinewood is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:48 pm
  #15  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,489
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move from Midlands UK too New Brunswick Canada

Originally Posted by pinewood View Post
its from an immigration consultants website. one based in Toronoto!
Yes, one known to constantly TOUT for business...... there are thousands of Immigration Consultants - not all consultants are equal.

Please ensure you go to the Official website, rather than that one.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html
Siouxie is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.