Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Canada, input appreciated

Looking to move to Canada, input appreciated

Old Nov 29th 2022, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to Canada, input appreciated

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd need to check that yourself I'm afraid. My guess is that you won't score enough, but do take the tests in post no. 2 and see what you get (do it for both of you, to see who scores the highest - just put that you have a year of skilled work experience for now, as again it's only to give you an idea of your score).

Yes, you would both get PR. There's no probationary period at all, EE is a PR app, so you'd both get Permanent Residency of Canada, essentially the same as citizenship but without the right to vote! Once you'd had PR and lived in Canada for 3 years, you could apply for citizenship and would be dual nationals.

Potentially yes, but too many variables to say for sure. It would depend on your points score, what job you did, what province you're in etc. But I'm not sure why you wouldn't just wait and apply together if eligible? Getting a separate IEC seems a lot of hassle and risk (in case you haven't looked it up yet, it's a lottery system, so you may not get one at all).

But you may be getting ahead of yourself here, neither of you may be eligible for PR via EE. So really you do need to take the tests above first, and then work out your next step from there.
ok we’ll do that. Thanks once again
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of getting more details on an NOC title. For instance transport truck driver, it lists a number of different truck driving jobs but not whether a class C would count towards this or a Class E (think class C is called a straight truck in Canada)

there’s a few others that I’d like confirmation of before I go about getting skilled experience to help facilitate my application.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
Just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of getting more details on an NOC title. For instance transport truck driver, it lists a number of different truck driving jobs but not whether a class C would count towards this or a Class E (think class C is called a straight truck in Canada)

there’s a few others that I’d like confirmation of before I go about getting skilled experience to help facilitate my application.
You won't find that level of detail, because the NOC code descriptions are for all countries around the world. So they just give the Canadian requirement, you'll need to find the equivalent - https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...V=4&TVD=122372

But have you checked your points scores yet? I'm sorry to keep harping on about it, but you could spend all that time and and money on getting a year's experience as a trucker and then find you still don't qualify for EE. So do check your points scores, if you're not scoring enough then you'll need to look at other options.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

You won't find that level of detail, because the NOC code descriptions are for all countries around the world. So they just give the Canadian requirement, you'll need to find the equivalent - https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...V=4&TVD=122372

But have you checked your points scores yet? I'm sorry to keep harping on about it, but you could spend all that time and and money on getting a year's experience as a trucker and then find you still don't qualify for EE. So do check your points scores, if you're not scoring enough then you'll need to look at other options.
you’re not harping on at all, you’re giving me detailed advice which has saved me hours of googling. Believe me when I say I’m grateful for your help. I did have a look and I think it came to 417 or there abouts which I don’t think is enough.

still going to explore the possibility of going as a dependant on the other half’s application as the closest match to her job is a teer 1 I’m sure. Failing that I’d work for more experience so that I can become eligible. If I exhaust all options then I’ll have to admit defeat but I’m very determined.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

you’re not harping on at all, you’re giving me detailed advice which has saved me hours of googling. Believe me when I say I’m grateful for your help. I did have a look and I think it came to 417 or there abouts which I don’t think is enough.

still going to explore the possibility of going as a dependant on the other half’s application as the closest match to her job is a teer 1 I’m sure. Failing that I’d work for more experience so that I can become eligible. If I exhaust all options then I’ll have to admit defeat but I’m very determined.
You wouldn't need to admit defeat, EE is only 4 visa routes out of over 50 so there's bound to be a way over. So there are other options, EE is just the quickest route to PR for most people. But you're right, 417 wouldn't be enough (and bear in mind when you hit 30 you'll also start losing points due to age). Your OH may score higher though with more skilled work experience so check her score too. If that's not enough either then we can look at other ways over.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

You wouldn't need to admit defeat, EE is only 4 visa routes out of over 50 so there's bound to be a way over. So there are other options, EE is just the quickest route to PR for most people. But you're right, 417 wouldn't be enough (and bear in mind when you hit 30 you'll also start losing points due to age). Your OH may score higher though with more skilled work experience so check her score too. If that's not enough either then we can look at other ways over.
I really hope so. Not wise to set your heart on anything like this but Canada just feels like it’d be the right choice. As frustrating as it is that I likely won’t qualify it’s reassuring in a sense that if I were to be successful it’s a country who look after their own and only want hard workers.

I’ve got a few heavy days of work and university coming up but after that I’m going to research the OH’s score and see what our options would be for EE.

Just want to say thanks again for the help and input. Didn’t expect so much help and detail when I posted this but I’m glad you looked at the topic.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As frustrating as it is that I likely won’t qualify it’s reassuring in a sense that if I were to be successful it’s a country who look after their own and only want hard workers.
Hard work isn't actually very relevant. Somebody in their 20's who has never had a job but has a PhD would be much more likely to qualify for a visa than somebody in their 40's who's worked since leaving school age 16.

Old Dec 30th 2022, 5:31 am
Just Joined

London2OntarioRealtor is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow awesome how much help the moderator has given bravo on that. Truely amazing. Also I would like to add its always a good idea to visit the country before you move there or before applying. Not sure if the poster has done that yet. I visited and and tried to apply for a work permit whilst on holiday in canada. Did not work out but when went back uk I applied on points and moved 6months later. It was a very long time ago though so process I am sure is all changed.