Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:49 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 66
busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

After visiting Calgary recently we have decided that we should try to make a go of it and move out to Canada. We have a lot of family in Calgary and are looking to move there, so incase we get stuck somehow or another we will have some type of backup.

I have been reading the immigration articles on the web and have understanding on some of the visas, and work permits needed to stay and work there. We are looking to apply for the Highly Skilled visa as we both have degrees and have professional jobs.

But we are not currently on the labor shortage list, our jobs are listed on the NOC list as Type B, and dont know how long our application may take. Should we look to get temporary work permits and move over or should we wait for the highly skilled application process?

What would be the best way to move out there?
busycouple is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:32 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Lincs, UK
Posts: 366
linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Hi

If your job is not on the list of 29 in demand occupations then you need a job offer before you can apply using this Visa Route I'm afraid.

I would recommend that you grab a cuppa and go through the WIKI (blue bar at the top of the page) as this has LOADS of info on the various visa's etc and will give you all the info you need.

Alternatively, you can visit www.cic.gc.ca which is the Canadian Governments website for immigration.

HTH
linz3112 is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:39 pm
  #3  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Originally Posted by busycouple
After visiting Calgary recently we have decided that we should try to make a go of it and move out to Canada. We have a lot of family in Calgary and are looking to move there, so incase we get stuck somehow or another we will have some type of backup.

I have been reading the immigration articles on the web and have understanding on some of the visas, and work permits needed to stay and work there. We are looking to apply for the Highly Skilled visa as we both have degrees and have professional jobs.

But we are not currently on the labor shortage list, our jobs are listed on the NOC list as Type B, and dont know how long our application may take. Should we look to get temporary work permits and move over or should we wait for the highly skilled application process?

What would be the best way to move out there?
Please read the wiki. You cant apply for a temporary work permit, first you have to find an employer who cannot (and can prove they cannot) find a canadian resident/ citizen to do the job. It happens of course, but not as much as it used to.

Are any of your canadian family in a position to sponsor you? Again, they circumstances are tightly controled regarding who can and who cant sponsor.

A lot of rules have changed in the last few years, many websites have out dated info. The wiki here is pretty accurate, but the CIC website is the true oracle on Canadian immigration options
www.cic.gc.ca
iaink is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:53 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 66
busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Originally Posted by iaink
Please read the wiki. You cant apply for a temporary work permit, first you have to find an employer who cannot (and can prove they cannot) find a canadian resident/ citizen to do the job. It happens of course, but not as much as it used to.

Are any of your canadian family in a position to sponsor you? Again, they circumstances are tightly controled regarding who can and who cant sponsor.

A lot of rules have changed in the last few years, many websites have out dated info. The wiki here is pretty accurate, but the CIC website is the true oracle on Canadian immigration options
www.cic.gc.ca
Family cant sponsor us anymore I think, the wiki pages say that is an option but Alberta dont do that anymore, so will have to look at another route.
busycouple is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:10 pm
  #5  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Calgary Alberta Immigration advice needed

Originally Posted by busycouple
Family cant sponsor us anymore I think, the wiki pages say that is an option but Alberta dont do that anymore, so will have to look at another route.
There are federal options, but IIRC they need to have no other family around or something, so probably not a goer. Your best bet seems to be either a provincial nomination or a work permit, both of which will need you to do what it takes to land a job with the appropriate service canada clearances.
iaink is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.