Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to join skilled trades with IEC

Looking to join skilled trades with IEC

Old Dec 9th 2014, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

1ns0uc1ant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to join skilled trades with IEC

I'm flying to Saskatchewan in 6 weeks and I'm formulating a strategy for getting permanent residency and develop an in-demand skill at the same time through the IEC working holiday. My strategy at the moments looks like this:

-Get a job as an apprentice tradesman with a company (floorhand, greenhorn)

-Make a good impression and ask if I can learn the trade

-Concurrently apply through the Sask Nominee Programme (this will need to be done after I've worked with them for 6 months - Sask Experience Category). As far as I've read, trades fall under the NOC list, and my education and past experience falls under another sought after category

-Work out fees for sponsorship, LMIAs, employment offers and approval before my IEC runs out.

I have an idea which trade I'd like to pursue (welding). Plus the intake threshold for Sask Program still hasn't been reached - 4.300 open spots!

I just need to see if this strategy is viable or if I dreaming.

Any tips would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2014, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to join skilled trades with IEC

Sorry to say, but no I don't think it is viable unfortunately.

You mention the PNP and applying under the SEC, but you wouldn't have a qualifying job offer if you were an apprentice, as they're not NOC Level A, O or B, or on the list of designated trades either. You'd need to actually be a qualified welder for that and I don't think the IEC would give you enough time to become that, isn't a welding apprenticeship 3 years?

You mention sponsorship and LMIA's, but you wouldn't get a LMIA as an apprentice either (you can't get a TWP for apprenticeships), so unless you have another route to an interim visa between your IEC ending and you becoming a qualified welder (or unless it really is possible to do that within the 6m months you're talking about?), then I don't think it's feasible.

I'm sure you've got this already, but make sure you've got your credentials assessed to show that you've got the equivalent of a Grade 12 diploma if you want an apprenticeship - although again, unless an apprenticeship is a year or less, I think the chances of you begin taken on as an apprentice on a 1 year visa are slim at best.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but I just don't think it's a realistic plan personally. If I were you I'd concentrate on finding another job that doesn't require an apprenticeship and then see if you can get a TWP or PNP from that - you can then learn to be a welder once you've got PR if that's what you still want to do, but I don't think it's a job that would lead to PR unless you're already qualified.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply,
I knew it was a long shot, but I wanted to see if it was possible within the IEC.

My reasons being that my current education and skills fit in category 2 of the NOC list. Level A. Plus I do have experience. The thing is that I haven't been able to gain any since 2012 and after acquiring another degree in Category 0, it hasn't done much to boost my prospects in the UK.
So I was thinking of a career move into trades which at the moment look to be financially prosperous.
I wanted to train as a welder here, but I couldn't afford it.
Right now I'm saving 90% of my min wage income on IEC. Looks like I'd have to rely on my existing credentials/experience..which haven't been used in nearly a year :-/
Old Dec 9th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you can't be an apprentice in Canada unless your a citizen or PR
Old Dec 10th 2014, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to say, but no I don't think it is viable unfortunately.

You mention the PNP and applying under the SEC, but you wouldn't have a qualifying job offer if you were an apprentice, as they're not NOC Level A, O or B, or on the list of designated trades either. You'd need to actually be a qualified welder for that and I don't think the IEC would give you enough time to become that, isn't a welding apprenticeship 3 years?

You mention sponsorship and LMIA's, but you wouldn't get a LMIA as an apprentice either (you can't get a TWP for apprenticeships), so unless you have another route to an interim visa between your IEC ending and you becoming a qualified welder (or unless it really is possible to do that within the 6m months you're talking about?), then I don't think it's feasible.

I'm sure you've got this already, but make sure you've got your credentials assessed to show that you've got the equivalent of a Grade 12 diploma if you want an apprenticeship - although again, unless an apprenticeship is a year or less, I think the chances of you begin taken on as an apprentice on a 1 year visa are slim at best.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but I just don't think it's a realistic plan personally. If I were you I'd concentrate on finding another job that doesn't require an apprenticeship and then see if you can get a TWP or PNP from that - you can then learn to be a welder once you've got PR if that's what you still want to do, but I don't think it's a job that would lead to PR unless you're already qualified.

Best of luck.
Thanks again. I am checking kijij daily for postings. At the moment I'm searching for any work that will put food on the table...I'm not sure if my education is worth much without experience -even though I do have some, 'entry level' roles in my sector don't really exist these days. It has been impossible to get myself back on track since 2009.

Anyway
Precision Drilling are hiring for floorhands so once I get my tickets for working on oil drilling sites I can apply. Strange since I heard they cut future funding by 44% to weather the drop in oil price.

My girlfriend is a PR, and marriage is on the cards next year. We've discussed in depth whether it's the right thing to do.. We've done the long distance thing for 2 years (dated 4) and we do want to start our lives in Canada so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise.

Could I get PR from marrying her?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 5:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

yes, spousal sponsorship is one of the easiest routes there is. Take a look at the wiki