Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

looking for advice on imigration to Canada

looking for advice on imigration to Canada

Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for advice on imigration to Canada

How do guys & girls. My friend is looking to imigrate to Canada. She is filipino currently working in Dubai. She has been in touch with a company who can help her but are asking for $1000. To process her application being a skeptical brit. Can anyone advise me if this is correct and companies such as these are not on the same lines of recruitment agents. who take your cash and doing nothing in the end but pocket your hard earned money. $1000 is alot of money to anyone.

Any advice or information gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Chris
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:30 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for advice on imigration to Canada

You do not say what you mean by
"She has been in touch with a company who can help her but are asking for $1000. To process her application" sic)

It is illegal for a company to charge you money to find you a job.

It is quite legal and proper for a company to offer to fill in the paperwork for you and generally manage your application and if it is a complicated application then it might be worth the money.

Most people do it themselves, I think but the choice is hers.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

They have offered to fill in her application and process it. and want to charge her $1000 which to fill in an imigration form seems a bit steep to be honest.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...tative/faq.asp
Hope this helps
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

It all does, I've found the address for the embassy in Dubai. So Monday or Tuesday will go down and ask the people in the know.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:02 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_m
They have offered to fill in her application and process it. and want to charge her $1000 which to fill in an imigration form seems a bit steep to be honest.
Well, they do not process it, of course, the processing is done by CIC and the VO but $1000 sounds quite reasonable for the services of an Immigration Consultant from what I have read on this forum over the past couple of years.

Consultants give advice on the application route most suited to your situation, check your forms are filled in correctly and that the paperwork is all there and in order and if you have particular issues which might affect your application they can help with appeals etc.

She would be best to shop around and see what services she gets for her money and also if she has simple circumstances she should look at doing it herself.
We did, it isn't hard and then she has saved her money.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helcat12
...She would be best to shop around and see what services she gets for her money and also if she has simple circumstances she should look at doing it herself.
We did, it isn't hard and then she has saved her money.
I would add to this by saying beware of the shadier operators who imply that the payment will guarantee a visa and/or job, or speed up the application process. Such guarantees are worthless.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

What experience etc does she have?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:39 am
Just Joined

stateofyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Some friends of mine and I have paid a similar amount for an immigration lawyer to oversee applications.

It is possible to go without but I have found it is great to have an experienced professional to make sure you have done everything you need to get the result you want.

Wish you the best of luck