Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Long-delayed Refusal Letters and Decisions

Long-delayed Refusal Letters and Decisions

Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

centauri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long-delayed Refusal Letters and Decisions

Things are getting weird in CIC Manila nowadays.

I have a friend who was interviewed last Oct. 2004. Unfortunately he was refused because the consul rated his language fluency far below his claimed rating (he claimed max pts although he did not take IELTS). Right after the interview he was told to wait until April 2005 for the refusal letter. April 2005?...why take this so long for them to send a letter which is actually of no significance anymore for him?

On the other hand, another friend was also interviewed last Nov 2004. Until now she doesn't have a clue if she was refused or not because she was only told to wait for the decision after 3 months. Now it's her 4th agonizing month of waiting but still no word from CIC Manila. Not even a request to send additional docs.

My question to the experts is, does the class lawsuit has something to do with this recent turnaround?...Just asking.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:04 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long-delayed Refusal Letters and Decisions

Yes, it is related to class action lawsuit. Court ordered CIC not to refuse affected applications (filed before 2002) until lawsuit is decided or settled. Thus CIC continues processing of those applications and is mailing passport requests to approved applicants, but doesn't mail anything to those who's applications are already rejected or ready to be rejected.

Originally Posted by centauri
Things are getting weird in CIC Manila nowadays.

I have a friend who was interviewed last Oct. 2004. Unfortunately he was refused because the consul rated his language fluency far below his claimed rating (he claimed max pts although he did not take IELTS). Right after the interview he was told to wait until April 2005 for the refusal letter. April 2005?...why take this so long for them to send a letter which is actually of no significance anymore for him?

On the other hand, another friend was also interviewed last Nov 2004. Until now she doesn't have a clue if she was refused or not because she was only told to wait for the decision after 3 months. Now it's her 4th agonizing month of waiting but still no word from CIC Manila. Not even a request to send additional docs.

My question to the experts is, does the class lawsuit has something to do with this recent turnaround?...Just asking.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Andrew,

You mean to say that it isn't the end of the road yet for my friend who was initially refused? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, it is related to class action lawsuit. Court ordered CIC not to refuse affected applications (filed before 2002) until lawsuit is decided or settled. Thus CIC continues processing of those applications and is mailing passport requests to approved applicants, but doesn't mail anything to those who's applications are already rejected or ready to be rejected.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:16 pm

Most likely it is the end of the road, but officially his case remains in process, while CIC is waiting for conclusion of lawsuit before sending refusal letter.

Originally Posted by centauri
Hi Andrew,

You mean to say that it isn't the end of the road yet for my friend who was initially refused? Thanks again.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforsolong is an unknown quantity at this point

Sir, maybe those people in the CIC should put themselves on our shoes, so that they too can feel the agony of waiting for so many years and at the end we only receive a refusal letter. It's not easy to wait that long, like in my case, I hold everything, from pregnancy to buying of properties because I save my money for immigration application (always having a quarrel with my hubby because of this). But until now I haven't heard from them. I am very much sorry for centauri's friends.

Do they still have conscience?

waitingforsolong

Most likely it is the end of the road, but officially his case remains in process, while CIC is waiting for conclusion of lawsuit before sending refusal letter.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:06 pm

Didn't you read what I wrote? It is Federal Court that ordered CIC not to send refusals to applicants affected by the lawsuit. CIC doesn't have any say nor chioce in the matter, it is Judge's order.

Originally Posted by waitingforsolong
Sir, maybe those people in the CIC should put themselves on our shoes, so that they too can feel the agony of waiting for so many years and at the end we only receive a refusal letter. It's not easy to wait that long, like in my case, I hold everything, from pregnancy to buying of properties because I save my money for immigration application (always having a quarrel with my hubby because of this). But until now I haven't heard from them. I am very much sorry for centauri's friends.

Do they still have conscience?

waitingforsolong
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

samm is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't you read what I wrote? It is Federal Court that ordered CIC not to send refusals to applicants affected by the lawsuit. CIC doesn't have any say nor chioce in the matter, it is Judge's order.
Centauri,

When you were interviewed, did they inform you of the result immediately after the interview? If so, then your friend who was interviewed last Nov 2004 might get a refusal letter too ... not being informed of the result sooner. Just no formal notice pending the class action suit. I hope not, but just my thoughts?

Regardless of the class action suit, I just hope processing in Manila will proceed as fast as the other offices. I can only hope ... sigh ...
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Samm,

Although the officer did not state straightforwardly to me the result of the interview, his parting words were indicative of a positive selection decision. But since I wanted to make things clear before I leave his cubicle I courteously threw him a question whether I passed the interview and he affirmed it. I think one important thing that my friend missed was her failure to ask immediately whether he passed regardless he had the hints or not. Right now he seemed stuck and miserable because he's having restless nights...living life full of thrills and suspense courtesy of CIC.

Originally Posted by samm
Centauri,

When you were interviewed, did they inform you of the result immediately after the interview? If so, then your friend who was interviewed last Nov 2004 might get a refusal letter too ... not being informed of the result sooner. Just no formal notice pending the class action suit. I hope not, but just my thoughts?

Regardless of the class action suit, I just hope processing in Manila will proceed as fast as the other offices. I can only hope ... sigh ...
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforsolong is an unknown quantity at this point

Sir, what I mean is that, the CIC gave us false hope. From the start they sent a letter that an interview is required but unfortunately it's not. They better refuse us from the start to avoid agonizing years of waiting and wasted life.

waitingforsolong