London checklists - definitive?

Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London checklists - definitive?

I'm compiling my Skilled Worker application, which I'll be sending to the London office. There is a checklist on the London High Commission website (http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...d/e_swchck.pdf), and a different checklist, which it says is also specific to the London office, on the Canadian CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf).

These checklists are different - with requirements differing slightly and the London High Commission checklist having 'tags'. The London High Commission document has a last revised date of May 2003, whereas the CIC document is dated May 2004.

I know this has been asked before, but I don't believe there's ever been a definitive answer. Which checklist do I use?

Before anyone says 'use both' - using both would be rather confusing, as the 14 bullet points on the 2 forms do not correspond.

It's a shame the CIC can't find the time to clear up this discrepancy.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: London checklists - definitive?

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I'm compiling my Skilled Worker application, which I'll be sending to the London office. There is a checklist on the London High Commission website (http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...d/e_swchck.pdf), and a different checklist, which it says is also specific to the London office, on the Canadian CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf).

These checklists are different - with requirements differing slightly and the London High Commission checklist having 'tags'. The London High Commission document has a last revised date of May 2003, whereas the CIC document is dated May 2004.

I know this has been asked before, but I don't believe there's ever been a definitive answer. Which checklist do I use?

Before anyone says 'use both' - using both would be rather confusing, as the 14 bullet points on the 2 forms do not correspond.

Hi Uprightdog,
We were in a similar position to you a few weeks ago as we too noticed the many discrepancies between the London office and CIC with their checklists.

I can't give you a definitive answer to your question, but I can tell you that we followed the London specific information to the letter. We have assumed that if (living in London) we follow the London specific info, we couldn't go wrong.

It is very confusing however when the websites don't match up

Regards
Alex
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

We had this problem as well and didn't inlcude a police check with our spousal application, now it's been delayed as it turns out I now need to apply for one and send it in... But anyway...

I know you said don't say "use both" If I was you I would just combine the two checklists and send in absolutely everything that they could possibly want, better for them not to need it than to ask for it later and delay your application.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:35 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I agree with Jonny. Why not use the London-specific checklist and also include anything extra that is mentioned in the CIC checklist?

The forms and guidance from the CIC are pretty appalling at times. I want a job sorting them out when I get to Canada.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point

So, am I supposed to use the tags on the High Commission checklist? Despite the fact that the items on that checklist don't correspond with the items on the CIC checklist?

For instance, item 6 on the High Commission checklist is identity docs - whereas that is item 2 on the CIC version. Similarly, items 9 and 11 are both for funds...

Surely this would just make the application confusing for the officer involved? That's the last thing I want to do.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

So, am I supposed to use the tags on the High Commission checklist? Despite the fact that the items on that checklist don't correspond with the items on the CIC checklist?

For instance, item 6 on the High Commission checklist is identity docs - whereas that is item 2 on the CIC version. Similarly, items 9 and 11 are both for funds...

Surely this would just make the application confusing for the officer involved? That's the last thing I want to do.
Just use the checklist that has the most on it and add extra bits at the bottom, or put in a cover letter the extra bits you have included.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonny
Just use the checklist that has the most on it and add extra bits at the bottom, or put in a cover letter the extra bits you have included.
When I submitted my application to sponsor my husband (Hi Jonny ) I needed to include extra things that were not on the checklist. I simply just stuck them in the envelope as well without too much explanation. I was approved as Jonny's sponsor within a month - no problems. You need to have faith in the person opening your file - if they see something extra that is not on the checklist, they will not totally ignore it, and if you write a letter of explanation, I am sure they will read it! And if all else fails - they will contact you if they need anything additional.

To answer your question - pick ONE list to use, tick off what you are submitting, and if there is anything else you read from another list, just include details of it in a letter
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Virgosah
When I submitted my application to sponsor my husband (Hi Jonny ) I needed to include extra things that were not on the checklist. I simply just stuck them in the envelope as well without too much explanation. I was approved as Jonny's sponsor within a month - no problems. You need to have faith in the person opening your file - if they see something extra that is not on the checklist, they will not totally ignore it, and if you write a letter of explanation, I am sure they will read it! And if all else fails - they will contact you if they need anything additional.

To answer your question - pick ONE list to use, tick off what you are submitting, and if there is anything else you read from another list, just include details of it in a letter
Just to add - we used the Canadian Immigration package, forms, and checklists from Missisauga, although we are appliying from the UK
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

I had the same dilemma , Paris checklist was different than CIC's.
I did it by the Paris rules and used their tag's.
Speaking about tag's, I brought my file personally and had it all neatly classified under concerning tag numbers in the right order. The lady on the other side of the window did a fast pre-check and it took her 3 minutes to reshuffle my file and order it the way she wanted it. One advice, never staple anything. Put all papers loose in one map and don't try to do anything fancy with your file.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:41 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Use the checklist and the tags from the CHC (not CIC), however if CIC is asking for other things then supply these as extras untagged.

By the way, you are not alone in your confusion! When we first started, it seemed very confusing to us too. If in doubt, send in more than you need.