Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO/ Work Permit Application Questions

LMO/ Work Permit Application Questions

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

sarah_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO/ Work Permit Application Questions

Hi there, i'm a new member but have looked at this forum from time to time. I just really wanted to check with other members who have been through the TWP application process that i'm doing the right thing, if i could have some advice please:

-I have received a job offer from a company in Calgary who have sent off my LMO application to Service Canada 2 weeks ago. Does anybody have any idea how long this might take roughly?

-as my job is in design/engineering and i'm from the UK i'm guessing i dont need a medical? will my LMO say if i do need one?

-i'm actually currently staying in Calgary with my parents as a visitor for 6 months. i'm thinking that i will probably go back to the UK for a week if/when my LMO comes through and on the way back apply for the work permit at Calgary airport. Do i have to do this, or is it possible drive down to the US border and come back into Alberta and do it there? I will probably do the flight home so I can see friends etc, but would be good to know if there was an option.

-I'm assuming all i need when i do this is my job offer letter, a positive LMO, cash for the processing fee, proof of funds (can anybody tell me how much i am meant to have? I'm a single female, no family to bring with me.) Do i need to bring any tax information with me to get the permit (like P45's/P60's) or anything else i havent thought of? I dont have any items to follow/ship...all my stuff is here already so i shall just be arriving with a single suitcase!

-has anybody had any other problems doing this that i should be aware of?

Thanks for your time! Much appreciated- sitting here waiting for the LMO gives me far too much time to think/worry unfortunately!
Sarah
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:53 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO/ Work Permit Application Questions

As far as I'm aware you don't need proof of funds when you have a job
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:54 am
Just Joined

thanks- thats interesting to know!!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:12 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

And you won't need a medical for that type of work either
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Zoe has already answered a couple of your questions, but in answer to the other ones, your LMO could be through tomorrow, or it could take another 6 months - no way of knowing I'm afraid! It varies depending on the job and application, so unfortunately nobody can tell you when you'll hear. Hope it's not too long though.

Regarding getting your TWP, you can go to the border - there is an article about this in the Wiki, and the article also includes details on what to take with you. So have a hunt in there for info.

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:16 am
Just Joined

thanks guys- much appreciated as far as i could tell i was doing it right... but the informtaion on the Canadian governments website (whilst being clear) doesnt always actually give a concrete answer!

Fingers crossed the LMO comes soon and positive!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Misst74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,
I have received a job offer and the employer applied to the LMO last week. Have you received yours through yet? If so how long did it take?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Misst74
Hi Sarah,
I have received a job offer and the employer applied to the LMO last week. Have you received yours through yet? If so how long did it take?
I can't remember exactly- somewhere around 4-6 weeks after my employer sent it in. and it came back negative. and apparently its actually really common for them to come back negative first time, and so therefore waste 6 months of yours and your employers lives while you reapply!!
it was negative due to it needing to be under a slightly different job code, implying that if it was under the other code we'd probably get a yes, but rather than just changing the code for us, we have to start all over.

i'm waiting for the application to go in 2nd time now... fingers are still crossed. hope you get better news!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Misst74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah gosh what a mare eh? Fingers crossed for you!! So are you in the UK waiting? How does your employer feel about having to wait? Do you mind if I ask what occupation you are going for?
Sorry! 20 Questions...just trying to get a feel for it all I spose:-S
Keep me posted on how you get on:-))
Good luck!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarah_n
I can't remember exactly- somewhere around 4-6 weeks after my employer sent it in. and it came back negative. and apparently its actually really common for them to come back negative first time, and so therefore waste 6 months of yours and your employers lives while you reapply!!
it was negative due to it needing to be under a slightly different job code, implying that if it was under the other code we'd probably get a yes, but rather than just changing the code for us, we have to start all over.

i'm waiting for the application to go in 2nd time now... fingers are still crossed. hope you get better news!!
Sarah I feel your pain, the exact same happened to me too!! The appeal went through quite quickly (about 2 weeks I think) as we could submit the appliaction to the same agent at service Canada and was approved, so fingers crossed you get the same result!