Wikiposts

LMO/TWP worry...

Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:02 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO/TWP worry...

My current TWP expires on August 23rd. My employers applied for an extension/new LMO back in March, and I was expecting to have heard by now.
Spoke to the lawyer handling it last week and he said the advertising requirements have changed recently and it may/may not affect my application.. he's looking in to it. Either way, he expects we should have an answer around the time my current WP expires....

This will no doubt lead to a few sleepless nights if we get to August and I've still not heard anything.

Does anyone know if it's possible to expedite the process bearing in mind the timescales? FWIW, we had our medicals in May (SW PR applicant in the old queue), so also hoping we'll have passport requests in the near future.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO/TWP worry...

Hi

Originally Posted by jericho
My current TWP expires on August 23rd. My employers applied for an extension/new LMO back in March, and I was expecting to have heard by now.
Spoke to the lawyer handling it last week and he said the advertising requirements have changed recently and it may/may not affect my application.. he's looking in to it. Either way, he expects we should have an answer around the time my current WP expires....

This will no doubt lead to a few sleepless nights if we get to August and I've still not heard anything.

Does anyone know if it's possible to expedite the process bearing in mind the timescales? FWIW, we had our medicals in May (SW PR applicant in the old queue), so also hoping we'll have passport requests in the near future.
1. Will not be expedited.
2. The lawyers referral to change of advertising rules, didn't happen recently. The requirement for 2 weeks of advertising on the job bank has been in place for about 18 months.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Will not be expedited.
2. The lawyers referral to change of advertising rules, didn't happen recently. The requirement for 2 weeks of advertising on the job bank has been in place for about 18 months.
OK cheers.... but then I dont know what he's talking about, because the job was advertised on job bank for 2 weeks....
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Sorry to bump this again, but still heard nothing on the TWP extension.
The lawyer tells me not to worry and he cant see it not being approved, but I'm still nervous.

If we get to Aug 23rd, what is my status? Can I continue to work?

On a slightly different tangent, but we had our medicals in May and have also paid the RPRF last week. ANy idea what the timelines are from here on in? We're one of the old school SW applicants (2007 AOR).
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know timelines of pr application, but know you have implied status, if you applied for extension of workpermit before your now work permit runs out..means you can keep on working.

I haven't heard about an extension being denied yet.. so take that as good news ?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to bump this again, but still heard nothing on the TWP extension.
The lawyer tells me not to worry and he cant see it not being approved, but I'm still nervous.

If we get to Aug 23rd, what is my status? Can I continue to work?

On a slightly different tangent, but we had our medicals in May and have also paid the RPRF last week. ANy idea what the timelines are from here on in? We're one of the old school SW applicants (2007 AOR).
Hi Jericho, that does sound rather a long time to not hear anything regarding a new LMO! We went through this process at Christmas time and I think it took a few weeks after the necessary advertising to get a new LMO!

Could your HR Dept call the Foreign Workers Dept in Edmonton for you? Or put some pressure on the lawyers to make that call to chase up the LMO? It took around five weeks to get a new work permit from Vegreville once we received the LMO.

As the other poster said, My understanding is that you can still work under implied status, if you have applied to Vegreville for a work permit renewal, before expiry of your existing WP, but of course you really need that LMO or it's going to get messy!

Good luck with it all. I'm sure it will all come together soon.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snow valley
Hi Jericho, that does sound rather a long time to not hear anything regarding a new LMO! We went through this process at Christmas time and I think it took a few weeks after the necessary advertising to get a new LMO!

Could your HR Dept call the Foreign Workers Dept in Edmonton for you? Or put some pressure on the lawyers to make that call to chase up the LMO? It took around five weeks to get a new work permit from Vegreville once we received the LMO.

As the other poster said, My understanding is that you can still work under implied status, if you have applied to Vegreville for a work permit renewal, before expiry of your existing WP, but of course you really need that LMO or it's going to get messy!

Good luck with it all. I'm sure it will all come together soon.
Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hope you get something through soon, must be worrying
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yup keeping fingers crossed too. I am sure everythig will work out just fine in the end - but the interim doesn't do much to promote fingernail growth.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everything works out for you. I personally think the fact a work permit has to be valid when you receive PR is a pretty unfair requirement, since you just never know how long they're going to decide to take in processing the application. Not to mention people change jobs a lot these days...
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Hey Jericho ... why don't you apply to extend your work permit about 4 weeks before it expires, and quote 'concurrent processing' - that way, you'll have your work permit renewal request in the queue before your current one expires and you can send the positive LMO when it arrives (they allow a certain amount of time). You can continue to work on implied status, but you can't leave the country!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp

How to apply

Include the following documents with your work permit application:

* A letter to the visa office stating that you want concurrent processing of your work permit application and that you are aware that a positive LMO issued by Service Canada is required before a work permit can be issued to you.
* A copy of your employer’s application for an LMO, along with a copy of your job offer or contract in Canada.
* Your application processing fee.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:29 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloydies
Hey Jericho ... why don't you apply to extend your work permit about 4 weeks before it expires, and quote 'concurrent processing' - that way, you'll have your work permit renewal request in the queue before your current one expires and you can send the positive LMO when it arrives (they allow a certain amount of time). You can continue to work on implied status, but you can't leave the country!

Because if you read the second sentence - his employers have actually sent off for the LMO, TWP extension for him already.

Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lloydies

How to apply

Include the following documents with your work permit application:

* A letter to the visa office stating that you want concurrent processing of your work permit application and that you are aware that a positive LMO issued by Service Canada is required before a work permit can be issued to you.
* A copy of your employer’s application for an LMO, along with a copy of your job offer or contract in Canada.
* Your application processing fee.
That's a good idea Lloydies! I understood from Jericho's post that his company had applied for an extension/new LMO for him not for a new TWP. We had to apply for the new TWP ourselves via Vegreville as that side is employee driven.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Because if you read the second sentence - his employers have actually sent off for the LMO, TWP extension for him already.
I read the sentence as 'applied for the new LMO' not extension. Good luck with everything Jericho! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.