LMO Questions

Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:11 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default LMO Questions

Hi Folks,

I had already posted thread about the BC PNP and whether a LMO was required and thanks to Lynsi and Christmasoompa. I have a better overview of the BC PNP route. A friend has suggested that both the PNP and LMO will require the employer to demonstrate that they have tried and been unsuccessful in finding a Canadian whom could do the job and that in fact the LMO route is not a big undertaking.

Now the wiki reads as follows:-

The employer has to demonstrate that he/she has recruited across Canada and has been unable to attract a qualified Canadian resident to the position.

In most cases, the employer has to have advertised the job across Canada for at least two weeks in the last three months.

My friend has suggested that all the employer really needs to do to satisfy the HRSDC for the LMO is to do the minimum 2 weeks advertisement. Also for the employers HR department to tailor the job advertisement so specific to my skills that they won't get any applicants or very few and therefore that way it could be proved that no Canadian could be found to do the job or that their was only a few Canadians whom applied and they did not have the same skillset as me and therefore again a Canadian was not found to fill the job.

The potential employer has been advised by their HR department and their lawyer that the LMO is a lengthy process requiring the posting of the position, a detailed review of all applications/interviews by their HR department with some form of written submission based on the findings. Unfortunately their HR department are buried in a new system that has been suggested could delay matters. Therefore I want to advise my employer of the quickest and easiest way to handle either the LMO or as per my previous post the BC PNP.

I think the issue is that either route will require proof that the position has been advertised and that a Canadian can not fill the position/shortage. I would be really grateful to hear from people whom have been through the LMO or indeed the PNP process to offer advice as I want to reply back to the employer and Monday and explain how the dots connect and is not that daunting and if they truly want me it is not that difficult to do this.

Apologies if some of this thread has touched a little on my previous thread, but I really want to get a handle on things as I feel I can get this job bagged and get the move to Canada rolling so to speak

Thanks for your time everyone :0)
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: LMO Questions

Only know about the LMO really. What category does your occupation fall under on the NOC?

The higher the category the less evidence your employer will need to provide in terms of their attempts to recruit a Canadian. The LMO application form is fairly routine, but unless your profession is LMO exempt there is no way round it.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:35 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Only know about the LMO really. What category does your occupation fall under on the NOC?

The higher the category the less evidence your employer will need to provide in terms of their attempts to recruit a Canadian. The LMO application form is fairly routine, but unless your profession is LMO exempt there is no way round it.
Thanks biggayowl, yes my role is as a claims examiner/loss adjuster so NOC "1312 Insurance adjusters and claims examiners". I believe this is classed as B occupation rather than O, A or C. Yes I know their is no way round it and i am just trying to make it as simple as possible for the employer and therefore secure the job. Would rather get over on a TWP then leave to chance when the FSW re-opens in May.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

I remember looking briefly at PNP option, but discounted it because it seemed like it would take longer and you'd still need to go twp / lmo route to get in to Canada in the meantime. If you're happy to wait 6 months plus then think PNP may be the better way.

You should be able to find the requirements for a cat B occupation fairly easily online (if you haven't already).
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by biggayowl
I remember looking briefly at PNP option, but discounted it because it seemed like it would take longer and you'd still need to go twp / lmo route to get in to Canada in the meantime. If you're happy to wait 6 months plus then think PNP may be the better way.

You should be able to find the requirements for a cat B occupation fairly easily online (if you haven't already).
BC PNP processing is suppose to be around 12 weeks, LMO is around 12 weeks, plus add two weeks to advertise the Job so very similar timeline. With PNP once you have the nomination you can start the PR process and it seems like slightly less forms to complete compared to going over with just TWP and doing PR via the FSW2 route
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

ok, when I looked into PNP I got the impression it would take longer or be more difficult / costly than the LMO route. But I'm probably wrong, should really investigate further
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:33 am

PNP costs $550 but thats the applicants fee, no idea how much it costs the employer from the point of view of HR resources and posting an advert. On top of that would still be the $150 TWP fee and then the PR app fees