LMO and Partners

Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:05 am
Just Joined

whitelockben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO and Partners

I have been with my Bulgarian spouse for around 1 year, however we are not married, she is 28 and a barmaid currently working in the UK.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice of the possibilities of he being able to come with me permanently? And if anyone had any advice?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO and Partners

Hi and welcome to BE.

You say you've 'been with', have you lived with her during that time? And when you say 'around 1 year', is it more than a year or less than?

Put simply, if you have lived together for at least one year (and can prove it via things like joint rental agreement, joint bank account, bills in both names etc), then she would be deemed your common-law spouses by CIC, and be able to accompany you.

Of course, that's assuming you're not married - as you refer to her as your 'spouse'. If you're married, then she can go on your visa application no matter how long you've been together.

Depending on your job and the province you are going to, she may also be eligible for a spousal open work permit.

HTH.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply. That has helped a lot.

I am looking at the NOC at the moment to work if a spousal open work permit is a viable option.

We have lived together however she kept her place and moved into mine which is going to be really difficult to prove!

I am currently living at hers as I gave up my property but we have no join agreements.

If we were married I am presuming we would have to prove the marriage is genuine?

Thanks again for your help.

Ben
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have anything proving you live together in a 'marriage like' relationship? Any joint post going to one address, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, joint insurances, etc?

And have you lived together for the full year required?

If you were married, then no, you wouldn't have to prove anything. There is less proof required as you'd be going on a TWP (i.e. if you were sponsoring her for PR as your common-law spouse CIC would want a lot more proof).

What's your job and which province are you going to?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

We will not have lived together for the full year, so I can disregard that route I guess.

I work in oil and gas (engineering systems) however I am not degree qualified, province: Alberta.

I think this is going to be a lot harder than I had first anticipated!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by whitelockben
We will not have lived together for the full year, so I can disregard that route I guess.

I work in oil and gas (engineering systems) however I am not degree qualified, province: Alberta.

I think this is going to be a lot harder than I had first anticipated!
Sounds like your job will be classed as 'skilled' then (the lack of a degree has not bearing on what Skill Level the job is), so if you can add your gf to your application as your spouse or common-law spouse, then she'd get an open work permit.

Do you actually have the LMO yet? If not, when was it applied for? It's just that it'll take around 12-16 weeks for it to be granted (fingers crossed), unless the company qualify for the new A-LMO route.

So if you've not got it yet, then maybe you could start gathering as much proof as possible now and also will have done the year by the time you get an answer on your application? As I said, CIC aren't as stringent for TWP applications (if you apply at the airport when you arrive, you may even get an immigration officer that doesn't ask you for any proof at all!), so it could work.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the positive replies! The open work permit would be amazing, I need further confirmation from my company regarding my new position and its classification exactly.

The company only sent the LMO this week unfortunately and I am aware of the processing time however I want to plan for the future... There are some really big things to talk about!